Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best flies

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

ok folks what are your favourite brown trout flies. Irrespective of time of season, throughout the season overall. Mine include golden olive bumble, claret dabbler, red arsed peter, gold ribbed hares ear, pheasant tail nymph, pearly dabbler, sooty olive, buzzer pupa, elk hair sedge to name just a few (there are too many to name). As patterns come and go I just want to see what are the most popular flies among fellow trout anglers in Ireland today. What are the ones you cant do without???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have very few....

greenwells glory,

black and silver spider,

hares ear and

a brown sedge pattern for after dark (not specific, once its a small sedge pattern).

Prob a few others I cant think of now.

I think the best way about it is to keep the fly box as small and simple as possible. Others may like every pattern in every size but I just like simplicity when it comes to my fishing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

SeaFields wrote: »
    I think the best way about it is to keep the fly box as small and simple as possible. Others may like every pattern in every size but I just like simplicity when it comes to my fishing. :)

Good advice, but sadly easier said than done !!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Kate McLaren, if you go lough fishing without this you need to be beaten to death with your rod :D
    Green Peter
    Small Black Buzzer

I started dry fly fishing a couple years ago and I recommend;
    CDC & Elk, Deer hair emerger, shipmans buzzer and a parachute suspended buzzer. I'd say a griffits gnat would be good for when midges are around.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Ive lots of favourites that have caught me fish. There is one lake in the west where i can more or less guarantee fish. Bibio, Black Pennel and a Silver Muddler Invicta. The muddler being great for getting the fish to rise pretty spectacularly. Any basic sedge and midge pattern also work for me as well. Going to go tie some now actually.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

I have no real favourites, but some flies have made good catches in the past and remind me of those when tying them onto a leader.

What would I never be without?
    Buzzer pupae: black, silver, & green spiders 12-20, the black doubles as hawthorn fly
    Dry Buzzer: grey duster, dry bloody butcher (doubles as Heather fly)
    sedge pupa green 10-14,
    sedge pupa amber 8-12,
    corixa white chomper 10-14,
    gammarus shrimp 10-14,
    asellus water louse 10-12,
    Black & peacock spider 10-16,
    lake/pond olive: sooty olive spider (doubles as olive buzzer pupa)
    leeches/dragons/crayfish: california leech, seal bugger 6-12,
    minnow 3/4" - 2": minnow; badger terror
    stickleback 1" - 1/2" moving: Alexandra -8, nesting/hovering Green Mariboo 8
    roach-rudd: white minkie 1"-3"
    sedge "stick" cased larva 10-12
    dragonfly nymph,
    damselfly nymph: olive woolly bugger 12
    Mayfly: orange may, grey wulff, spent gnat
    Dry sedges: little red sedge, grousewing sedge, elk &CDC sedge
    Pinhead fry: mini muddler
    Night fishing: dry peter
    dry murrough
    soldier palmer/woolly worm
    night leech
    humungus

It's like spanners in a toolbox. You need one to fit every bolt you will encounter.
    And with stillwater flies you need one for each food item organism present in the lake.
    So my favourite flies are representations of whatever the trout are eating today, failing that what they are supposed to be eating this time of year, or failing that what they were eating recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Lord forgive my sins how could I not mention the grey duster :). Probably one of the best dry flies ever invented. It is good for dry buzzer, dry sedge, various up-winged flies including mayfly in larger sizes, especially good for the lake olive (cloeon simile). As for the mayflies well there are so many of them now these days (far too many) that everyone has their own personal patterns, but for me the grey wulf in small size is among the best. I also like the moseley may. and of course specific flies at specific times when they are required, ie the spent gnat or balling buzzer.
    As for wets the dabblers are a great 'species' of flies. they can be used from March to October and the best ones are claret dabbler, pearly dabbler and green dabbler. You could go the whole season with one of or any of those three on your cast. In terms of current popularity they probably beat the bumbles into second place?

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭jack01986

Just found this website where they have a pretty big list of flies with dood quality pictures that have a zoom function. Thought it might be handy for the fly tiers on here.
    http://www.fish4flies.com

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭cj salmon

just a few small favs on the river/stream.

black and peacock spider
    silver spider
    partridge and orange
    klinkhammers in olive ,black,
    knotted midge
    adams paradun.
    cdc and elk dry (favourite fly)
    f fly
    blue winged olive and various olives,also various sedges (for visiting limestone streams) :D
    pheasent tail nymph ,various.

only new to lake fishing,getting used to what works ,,hope i can keep it simple enough

cheers

Advertisement