Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foolish to deposit money with Anglo?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Would it be unwise to deposit a small lump sum (c. €3,000) with Anglo at this time given the amount of uncertainty and expiration of the government guarantee? They seem to have one of the best deposit rates at the moment so I'm tempted. Should I wait for things to pan out or will the money be safe? I understand these kinds of questions are getting asked a lot around here lately so apologies, but given the constantly changing environment in the banking sector now I can't help but ask.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

In my opinion, it is perfectly safe. Even if/when Anglo is no longer covered by the blanket guarantee, your deposit is still covered by another permanent guarantee on figures up to €100K.

Regardless of what happens, there would be plenty of warning (time to move your money).

The other thing is the interest rate. It is unlikely to remain this high for much longer. Within a few months, expect that rate to lower dramatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Dont worry its safe, but with such low interest why not try bonds? just as safe and you may win a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

They are probably one of the safest places to but you money. I have an account with them. The deposits are guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Deposits "guaranteed" - but how safe is that guarantee ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Thanks lads, sound advice, suppose I'm just being a little over cautious.

Winty wrote: »
    Dont worry its safe, but with such low interest why not try bonds? just as safe and you may win a bit

I have thought about bonds before as they are low risk and offer more than a deposit rate, but wouldn't you need a bit more than €3,000 for bonds to be worthwhile, i.e. at least €10,000? Do you have any advice as to how I would go about getting into bonds? Appreciate the advice.

• Advertisement

Do you have any advice as to how I would go about getting into bonds?

Some info here

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Some info here

Sorry, that link doesn't seem to work, do you have the web address?

Sorry.

go to the NTMA site and click on Personal Savings on the left. Then click on the PO Saving Products link.

Cheers!

Advertisement