Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting down a tree

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I have a tree in my garden about 5-6 metres high. It's a long skinny palm-type tree.

Anyway, i'm looking to take it out. Cutting the tree down shouldn't be too much trouble - a stepladder/axe/saw should see me right.

My problem is, i'm going to be left with a stump and i'm wondering what the best/easiest way of getting it out is. Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If you cut it about five foot from the ground rather than right down to the ground you will have a lever to haul on when you have loosened the roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

depending on what kind of palm it is, their root networks tend to be fairly shallow,i would advise digging a bit around the trunk first, it might be easier to undermine and topple over then you think, otherwise, i would cut the stem as low as possible, then dig down as deep as i could, cutting lateral rrots as i go make sure theres enough room for the saw again, then cut below soil level, the lower the better, remove cuttings, bury the remaining roots. note this isnt an ideal solution if you plan on cultivating the ground at a later stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Agree with wewantchilly, except dont use a saw for the roots. Use an axe/hatchet, you will ruin your saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Don't cut it down, it could be worth €1000s.

:D

<hides from sweeper>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Agree with leaving a long trunk to use as a lever. An electric reciprocating saw is ideal for roots & you can easily replace the blades. I also keep an old pair of loppers especially for roots.

Just start rocking the trunk & cut each root as it is revealed. A simple chain winch can be useful or even the strong ratchet ties but be careful in case they snap.

Oh & get yourself a Mattock - makes life much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

johno2 wrote: »
    Don't cut it down, it could be worth €1000s.

:D

<hides from sweeper>

If someone on this forum manages to sell their palm tree, I'm going to find out who your client was and tell them you sold them the most expensive firewood EVAR. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

If someone on this forum manages to sell their palm tree, I'm going to find out who your client was and tell them you sold them the most expensive firewood EVAR. :pac:

Sweeper i think you should buy my palm tree just out of spite! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cordylines aren't palms, neither are macrocarpa.

Advertisement