Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

logo/watermark help needed

• 29-03-2010 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭

hey just wondering what is the best way to make a logo/watermark for photo,s thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

A lot will depend on what software you use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Its a watermark creator and very simple. Works like a treat really. All you need to do is create a watermark file and this will put it on your pics quickly and easily. Plus there will be consistency. Also you can work on batches to make life easy.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=678219&highlight=watermark+napp

Video tutorial for the PS extension
    http://av.adobe.com/russellbrown/WatermarkCreator.mov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭sikahunter

thanks dara but just looked at that it says you need ps to use it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

While i'm 150% against the idea of watermarking if your purpose is to display your images somewhere, I've seen Hugh Chaloner's efforts in this regard which are quite acceptable to my mind. For me the reason it works with Hugh's images is that it is just so simple - simple text, simple transparency, simple and unobtrusive location. It simply says "hugh chaloner PHOTOGRAPHY" - the main thing is it doesn't detract from the image.

I appreciate people's needs and desires to go spraying the image with "don't copy me you damn pirate" type of overlays but gah, they are such a turn off tbh and that includes on some magnificant images from the like of the Magnum agency. If it don't work for them then it certainly won't work for me.

To do the simple version as above, you could simply do your text as a layer (gimp/photoshop) on top of your image - adjust the transparency so your text is just about visible and export your jpg. Simple.

EDIT: Gimp is free. I think picassa now does it too and irfranview also. - The three of these all free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I use watermarks when I feel I may need them or when I take shots which people want to display on the likes of facebook, then my watermark is like an advertisement if any of their pals want pics taken too. I go as simple as possible, I choose one font, and its a simple copyright symbol and rachel fox photography, I then reduce the transparency of the watermark, I usually put it in the bottom corner but sometimes if I really want my name to be seen on the image I will put it somewhere else. I do agree that a watermark can take away from an image when doing this but often I do it as an advertisement rather than protecting the image when it is done this way.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

You can write your signature on a piece of paper, take a photo of it and import it into photoshop, make a pencil tool from it and just stamp your signature onto your photos.

Theres an old thread on here explaining the process for making the pencil tool thing, I learned it here too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

I like watermarks too and use them all the time. I make mine into a PS brush so I'm no use to you I'm afraid.

Advertisement