Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Dell XPS power supply

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Hi ,

I recently bought a dell xps H750e-01 power supply off Adverts and it was only a week later when I went to fit it into my own case that I realised that this PSU didn't match up to the holes in the back of my pc for the screws . I didn't know that there were different psu fittings but then there is an awful lot I don't know .

So , is there anything else I should be aware of as regards Dell XPS psu's or should I go ahead and MAKE this one fit ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Many manufactures like Dell and HP like to change their PSU designs from time to time, and basically piss off everyone since they should be standard size and universal fit.

I have a HP desktop here with the PSU that died and it too had an odd screw config, but end the end I got two screws in and duct tape to hold it in place and it has been fine since.

At the end of the day your either looking at finding a second hand PSU that is specifically made for that case - and that will cost money and you never know if it too will die shortly after installation seeings how it is second hand.

OR you make a standard one fit.

You might luck out and find a new one somewhere, but the chances of that are slim unless it is the newest line of PC's they offer and even then the price will be double or triple a new one you can make fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

What kind of case is it?

Might sound stupid but is the PSU upside down. It will only fit one way up due to the screw holes not being symmetrical.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

From what I've seen that generation of XPS PSU doesn't seem to be ATX-compatible - they're ~10-20mm deeper so the "bottom" pair of screwholes aren't anywhere as near the bottom of the backplate as they should be :eek:

ATX PSU (look at the top screwholes):
    EA_650_q.jpg

XPS PSU (upside down compared to the above, look at the bottom!):
    DW0021.jpg

In theory if you have a very large modern case (with the PSU at the bottom, and in this case well below the mobo and/or in a seperate chamber) you should be able to fit it in the same orientation as the Antec up there. If you have a traditional case (PSU up top) or a modern midi-tower (only supports normal-height PSUs; non-ATX PSUs will conflict with mobo) you're SOL without extreme case-modding :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

It's an oldish large case , psu on top , I could make it fit using MacGyver's DIY handbook .

But is there anything else I should be aware of ..power wise . I know it has an 8 pin 12v power lead whereas I need a 4 pin one but I read that you can just connect the first 4 and leave the second 4 hanging there ... actually the more I type this the more I think ..leave it there and chalk it up to experience .

This all comes about because I am thinking of buying a 5770 and wondering about my current psu

What's your current one again? :o

• Advertisement

500w antec neo

What kind? NeoPower, NeoHE or Neo Eco? The first has exploding caps IIRC :(

EDIT: Must be the NeoHE, its the only one that comes in a 500W flavour...

I can't see any issue with sticking with the old Seasonic, 38A of 12V capacity is nothing to be laughed at. Even with a fair bit of cap aging (those NeoHEs are pretty old now, even if they are modular units!) you should still have similar if not better performance than a brand new Corsair CX400 or even VX450, which are both more than enough to power a wee HD5770 so long as you don't have an unbelievably heavy OC on a high-TDP CPU! :P

Sorry , that was a very quick answer from me while I was running out the door .

it is an Antec Neo 500HE

^ Edited :) Depends on your CPU but unless its drawing around 180W or so ( :eek: ) you should be fine with the HD5770 ;)

Everytime you ask a question I go .............. yeah I should have said that ......

Kids are off school and I am running in moron mode .

AMD 64 x2 6000+

tbh I got caught out before when my psu blew up and had to buy a crap one in maplins for €80 , so when I saw this dell one in adverts for €30 I thought it would be handy to grab it . I would have thought a psu from a dell xps would have been a fairly solid one .

• Advertisement

Heh :p

That Dell PSU should in theory be a Delta unit, I'll check later. They're sweet units but that XPS one is an oversized non-standard unit :o If you could find a case to fit it in it'd be legendary... and utter, utter overkill for your needs :P

The Antec should be fine so long as you're not OCing that mammoth 125W TDP CPU (not that those have much headroom without watercooling!) ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    I can't see any issue with sticking with the old Seasonic, 38A of 12V capacity is nothing to be laughed at. Even with a fair bit of cap aging (those NeoHEs are pretty old now, even if they are modular units!) you should still have similar if not better performance than a brand new Corsair CX400 or even VX450, which are both more than enough to power a wee HD5770

Fair enough , so there is no need to change anything .......... but then

That Dell PSU should in theory be a Delta unit, I'll check later. They're sweet units but that XPS one is an oversized non-standard unit :oIf you could find a case to fit it in it'd be legendary... and utter, utter overkill for your needs :P

See that just makes me want to weld it in place and and and ... attach the tumble dryer to it ! and maybe a kettle ............ might even get a 5770 as well .

Almost had a 5770 last week but the guy on adverts made a mistake and had to sell it to some one else that made an offer :(

jonski wrote: »
    See that just makes me want to weld it in place and and and ... attach the tumble dryer to it ! and maybe a kettle ............ might even get a 5770 as well .

What is it about good 750W+ units that illicits this kind of natural response??! lol.gif

One other thing , whats with the fan on the inside instead of the outside ?

Do you mean the inside-side of the inside as opposed to the inside of the outside-side?? :confused:

I think its just because they could (it being a custom non-standardised unit) and because they were more worried about airflow volume instead of static pressure, so went for a "push" fan (like most big-fan PSUs) rather than a "pull" arrangement (which you see on most other cross-flow PSUs). And from the looks of it they're using a 92mm fan instead of the usual 80mm that cross-flow PSUs are stuck with, being ATX and all :o

Do you mean the inside-side of the inside as opposed to the inside of the outside-side?? :confused:

yeah , normally you look at the back of a pc you see a fan in the psu , this one has the fan where the cables are instead .

What I thought ;)

Bumping my own zombie thread - because it has just become relevent to me again , I hope that's ok .

So .... I still Have this PSU and never used it due to it being awkward to fit . The other day I bought an Antec Nine Hundred Two V3 Chassis ( woooohoooo ) second hand , I thought , " nice one , I can now fit that PSU that the guys on boards said would be a good PSU to have " , popped it into the chassis and guess what , the screw holes line up ( woooohooo ) BUT............ the thingy at the back , you know it holds the graphics card and in the old days the sound card in place at different levels and has blanking plates and is called 'the something' , well it comes down about 5mm too low and stops the PSU from reaching the back by about half an inch . ( Boooooo )

So todays question would be , should I /could I / would You try and get extra long screws to make it fit ? And if so where would you / I go to find said screws ? Also why is it raining and cold and why do I have to buy more coal when I thought the winter was gone ?

Answers on a postcard or alternatively reply here .

John

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

I see you're in limerick. all our hardware stores are rubbish. you could try B&Q for long screws maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

jonski,

Just saw your original thread, and it reminded me of this:

I sold an old Alienware case a while back to someone in Germany. They got on to me saying they could not fit a standard ATX PSU in it. I remembered then that I had changed out the AW PSU before this there was an adapter plate (for want of a better description) between the case and the PSU which forgot when I stripped the case & shipped it to germany.

I think this is what you were missing, as I would imagine the Dell & AW cases etc. would be very similar-OK not the most timely response to a thread ever..:D

Re. the screws, any good proper hardware store, Joe Mc Kenna's on Parnell St. would probably have a good selection-think the thread size would be 3.5/4mm, but bring one in anyway.

To answer your question re. the wonderful temperate climate, and as a Limerick man born & bred I can say with some certainly-it always f**kin rains in Limerick! ;)

• Advertisement

I'll head into Joe McKenna's tomorrow morning and see if they can help ...... do ye reckon it's worth the effort ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

No harm in trying to use a good PSU if you can I think, its up to you really.:)

I would get a few long screws, and nuts to suit as well. you could also try to use motherboard standoff's to extend it out as well, hard to say for sure without seeing it. Stick up a picture?

glynf wrote: »
    No harm in trying to use a good PSU if you can I think, its up to you really.:)

I would get a few long screws, and nuts to suit as well. you could also try to use motherboard standoff's to extend it out as well, hard to say for sure without seeing it. Stick up a picture?

So there I am standing in maplins looking at an xfx pro 550w for €70 , I use my phone to search for reviews and when I am finished I decide to have one last look on boards before making up my mind ....... And what do I see ...standoffs , standoffs you say , you sir are a genius . Came home , checked it out and it looks like it might work , back over to maplins with me .

Stay tuned .

Advertisement