Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbor won't lock up his dogs

Options
  • 29-03-2010 1:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

i live beside a guy who has 5/6 large dogs of various breeds.

he doesn't have his site secured even though he has been there the last 10 or so years.
    he allows the dogs to wander into my garden through the front gate, bark at me when ever i come home, knock over my bins when i have them out for collection. they chase after walkers on the road, so much so that they seek refuse in my place.

i have asked him to keep his dogs in, but he is just not interested and likes "giving them their freedom". at the weekend, his dogs killed two of my chickens.

i am just so annoyed with constantly trying to deal with his problem dogs - any suggestions as to how i can succeed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

call the dog warden and report him, the dog warden should visit him and give him a warning and then if he doesn't sort out the situation he'll have the dogs taken off him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Yes, call the dog warden ASAP and tell them you want it to be sorted very soon as they are a threat to your safety, it might get them out sooner rather than later.

This is not acceptable at all and why dog some owners think it is is beyond me:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's really no more can be added here. Contact the council and report the loose Dogs. You need do no more and won't get pulled into the incident by the Dog Warden. I've done this a few times - always with a very satisfactory result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Definitely contact your local dog warden as soon as possible. The owner's irresponsibility with regard to his dogs is astounding. It's owners like this who get all dog owners a bad name.

If a dog killed somebody's livestock in the country the dog would probably have been put down at this stage, and damages would more than likely be sought for loss of livestock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Call the dog warden and explain that his dogs have killed your chickens this up's the stakes , i would also keep a log of what the dogs do as you may be able to get an asbo (given the fact you are allready down two chickens you should be able to get some thing done ring the gaurds and talk to them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In certain cirumstances you are perfectly entitled to protect your livestock from the dogs, using lethal force if necessary.

I personally don't like that option, but I support your legal right to protect your own animals from someone else's.

Contact the warden and tell him that your neighbour's dogs have wandered onto your property and killed your animals.

Call the dog warden and explain that his dogs have killed your chickens this up's the stakes , i would also keep a log of what the dogs do as you may be able to get an asbo (given the fact you are allready down two chickens you should be able to get some thing done ring the gaurds and talk to them)

Just inform the Dog Warden of Dogs roaming and say no more. No need to drag yourself into a personal case. Just be a concerned member of the public reporting dogs allowed to roam.

Just inform the Dog Warden of Dogs roaming and say no more. No need to drag yourself into a personal case. Just be a concerned member of the public reporting dogs allowed to roam.

Why shouldnt they say more?? It is a personal case, their animals are being terrorised and killed by these dogs. The op has had some of their animals killed by these dogs so i would def be mentioning it to ensure the warden comes out asap!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The sad fact is the owner won't be punished but the dogs get killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 little_elle

thanks for all your comments :D

i did call the ISPCA once as the owner went on hols and left his dogs to fend for them selves... (which was when they discovered my bins) unfortunately, it was because one of the dogs had gotten hit by a car, and had a big swollen head. when i rang the local vet, the vet told me i am not authorized to bring the dog in without the owners consent.
    i rang the ISPCA who required me to give my name. i was reluctant as i still need to live next to the guy... gave my name, and heard no more. followed up about 2 weeks after and they said when they arrived, they could only see two dogs locked up in the back in kennels--- which were MY two dogs.. they had gone to the wrong bloody house!!!

they wouldn't come out again.

i think i will ring the warden.. after i saw my two dead chicks, i thought of harming the dogs... but unfortunately i could never do this as i dont blame the dogs!

will ring the warden !

cheers again!

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    Why shouldnt they say more?? It is a personal case, their animals are being terrorised and killed by these dogs. The op has had some of their animals killed by these dogs so i would def be mentioning it to ensure the warden comes out asap!

Look, he can get as involved as he wishes and accuse the neighbour of anything he likes but if he wants a resolution in the form of the dogs being kept under control then a simple reporting of loose dogs will suffice. If he wants to face off against the neighbour that is his choice. If he wants it anonymous then that's another matter. That's all I'm saying.

Look, he can get as involved as he wishes and accuse the neighbour of anything he likes but if he wants a resolution in the form of the dogs being kept under control then a simple reporting of loose dogs will suffice. If he wants to face off against the neighbour that is his choice. If he wants it anonymous then that's another matter. That's all I'm saying.

He is not accusing the neighbour of anything, as they know for a fact whats happening so they want to know how to handle it. They need to report exactly whats been going on and its more than dogs just loose in the area, they are killing and annoying the public, so the OP has to report this as i dont think loose dogs would be enough to get the warden out asap.

Loose dogs are everywhere, but not all loose dogs are harmful to people and animals so therefore they need to report more than just loose dogs as it needs to be sorted quickly before anymore animals lose their lives or someone is attacked and injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

One of the reasons why there is such a problem in this country is that no one will accept responsibility. We have the Guards, the Local Authority (Warden) & the ISPCA. We have all known cases where an "incident" is just passed from one to the other & nothing is done.

Our Local Authority Pounds throughout Ireland killed 10,000 dogs in 2008 & only convicted 153 people. It's the dogs that are punished.

It is almost like the Middle Ages where the animal had to appear in Court to face charges. If it stayed silent it was considered guilty !

Btw the figures are from the annual stats that are publicly available - if well hidden !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

OP i suppose you have a decision to make before you call anyone and that is if you want to possibly fall out with this guy or if you care about that.

Once you make that decision then you can call the dog warden and tell him about your chicks being killed or as an anonymous person about the loose dogs.

What a pain in the a** situation to be in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 little_elle

ppink wrote: »
    OP i suppose you have a decision to make before you call anyone and that is if you want to possibly fall out with this guy or if you care about that.

thanks PPink! yes, i care about it as i still have to live beside the guy. unfortunately i think he is the type of guy that would not hesitate to throw rat poison into my dogs if he thought i was to blame for his dogs being taken from him.

i will contact the dog warden anon and hope for the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

thanks PPink! yes, i care about it as i still have to live beside the guy. unfortunately i think he is the type of guy that would not hesitate to throw rat poison into my dogs if he thought i was to blame for his dogs being taken from him.

i will contact the dog warden anon and hope for the best.

just tell him you where one of the walkers who got chased :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Thats what I was thinking as I have been in a similar position where i have had to tread carefully for fear my own dogs would be targeted. He obviously could not give 2 hoots about your chickens!

I hope the dog warden will help you a bit. If not complain to the council under an anon name as a passer-by who was frightened or something? I feel sorry for you as that would drive any normal person round the bend!

Advertisement