Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question..........

• 29-03-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

ok, a quick question:

i am swapping over the cogs from one flip flop wheel to another. to remove the freewheel cog, can i use this???

7975.jpg

its a cassette nut thingy, will it do the job??? just about to order it on CRC if it'll work.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Quick answer: no

You'll need a freewheel remover, the specific one will depend on your brand/model of freewheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Ah.....i was afraid it was going to be complicated :rolleyes:

where can i find out what i need? the freewheel is................ACS Claws Freewheel.

edit:

ok, looked up Park tools website, i'll have to check the freewheel when i get home, it not going to as easy as i thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Trot over to http://rothar.ie in Phibsboro and they'll likely have the one you need.

Or indeed Little Sport will too. Probably won't charge you either.

wont charge me?? :eek:

i'm just down the road from Little sport.........pretty skint this week, so was hoping to do it myself. looks like i'll need a 4 prong freewheel remover.

just saw you can rent a workstand in rother for €5 an hour, that brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You probably need a Park FR-6 or equivalent. I have one if you want to borrow it or indeed do it on the spot if you can call over to Donnybrook (evening) or Sandyford (daytime.)

det_FR-6_2006511_10987.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 beara biker

if you are swapping cogs dont forget to swap the chain as well or else you may end up with more trouble

if you are swapping cogs dont forget to swap the chain as well or else you may end up with more trouble
    That really depends on the chain wear, how well you maintain your chain, etc. I certainly swap wheels all the time and don't go through a new chain every week.

In any case I think he is swapping wheels so the actual drivetrain will be the same when he is done (e.g. chainwheel/sprocket and chain will all be the same.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

bump

Why is this? I just put a new cassette on, should I have got a new chain too? I take pretty good care my chain, clean it after every wet spin.

Chains wear as you use them; the rate depends on the environment you ride in (wet/dry/gritty?) and how well you look after the chain with cleaning and relubing.

If you leave a chain too long this wear will cause chain "stretch" and it will no longer mesh with the chainwheels and cassette but instead eat into them. Chains are a consumable and need to be replaced before they "stretch" too much. If you don't replace the chain on time, you will need to replace your cassette with a new chain (and vice versa) or you will get skipping.

If you replace your chain on time this doesn't apply and you should get around 3-4 chains to a cassette. Many riders have multiple wheels and cassettes and swap between them; this is not a problem as long as you are not running a worn chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beara biker

sorry i misread the orignal post

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies and offers of help, i've been off work sick so i havent been on here since.

i'm going to pop into a bike over the weekend and get it done. just in case i ruin the wheel somehow :D

Advertisement