Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog won't go into kennel

Options
  • 29-03-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    I've just come home to a very wet Sindy. She has a lovely kennel that the hubbie insulated and it has a flap door but she won't use it anymore.
    It's the kennel she has had since the begining, she slept in it every night until the weather got too cold and we let her sleep in the hall.
    Has anyone any ideas, we've put treats in and she will go in and get them but comes out immediately. The weather is better now and we think she'd be healthier sleeping outside for the summer, but if she won't use the kennel I'm not leaving her out to sleep under the stars, especially when it's wet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Noz

My dog is the very same, she has a lovely warm shed but she drags any bed or blankets we put in there and lies in the middle of the garden on them, soaking wet! I don't know what it is, but I feel really bad coming home to a wet dog too, sorry, not much help I know :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 little_elle

our dog was the same, he would sit infront of the patio door in the lashing rain. i ended up putting a kennel there for him too as i got the impression he would rather be near to the house than down the end of the garden.
    he will use it now.. maybe you could try move it so she can see the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Her kennel is on deck outside the back door, so can't get her much closer. We've really done everything we can to ensure this a comfy, warm place with kennel mat on the floor.
    Right now she's trying to dry herself on my sofa's.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

dogs ain't stupid, she knows you'll let her in if she gets wet enough - :D

She just might be stupid where this is concerned, when we're at home she can be in or out whichever she prefers, but when we're away, as in this monring I had a meeting and was gone for about 4 hours she was out for it all. I even out some treats in her kennel before I left to encourage her in, she ate the treats but didn't stay.
    In fairness she's a spaniel retriever cross so I don't think she's cold.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

i have come home from work when it's been raining to find the GSD and her two 7 month pups soaked, with the Boxadorisation bone dry - i think some dogs just don't care if they get wet - although this morning the little feckers didn't want to go for there walk, hid in the shed :D got them out eventually and then dried them off in the shed when i got back, if it was in the evening i would dry them off before they get shut in for the night, outside of that if they want to get wet that's there concern :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

barbiegirl wrote: »
    She just might be stupid where this is concerned, when we're at home she can be in or out whichever she prefers, but when we're away, as in this monring I had a meeting and was gone for about 4 hours she was out for it all. I even out some treats in her kennel before I left to encourage her in, she ate the treats but didn't stay.
    In fairness she's a spaniel retriever cross so I don't think she's cold.

Is it possible that she was in the kennel until she heard the car pull in? With the rain today she'd be soaked through in a couple of minutes.

Nope pretty certain she was out in it all around the side, cause she wasn't waiting at the door when I came into the kitchen, so I'm assuming she was asleep ontop of the garden waste compost heap at the side, which seems to be a favourite spot, I assume the composting is producing some heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

my fella is the same, would much rather sit out in the raid at the back door then go into his kenell 3 feet away

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The same with our guy - the kennel is handy for tidying all his toys away thou lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement