Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues with landlord

Options
  • 29-03-2010 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

We recently moved into a house. There have been several issues, some are minor but others are troublesome. For example, a minor issue is one where there landlord provided pots and pans but they were old dirty and rusty and wouldnt accept a receipt for new ones we bought. The major issue here is my bed. I have taken up residence in the attic which has been converted to a bedroom. However, the landlord only provided a mattress without a base for the room, he said the previous tenant preferred it that way which is fine. I asked him could he get the base from storage which he did. The only problem is the base doesn't fit up the stairs never mind the stairs to the attic. The only way I can get a base in is if I buy a two piece base. Can I charge the landlord or has he done enough to move away from any liability as he did technically provide a base?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

The landlord has no obligation to provide pots and pans. Most usually would provide something, but not all. If the ones provided are not up to your standard, as harsh as it sounds, its tough, buy your own.

The bed is a bit tougher, when did you ask to get the base from storage? If you viewed the room and accepted as it was, then you have to get the base sorted yourself. If you viewed the room and said you'd take it provided a base would be put under the mattress, then the landlord should provide one, and ensure it fits up the stairs. Having said that, a lot of landlords and EAs will promise the sun moon and stars if you move in, but not having this in writing is tough. Having said that, you cant expect the entire dialogue from the viewing to be scripted and recorded.

Talk to your landlord about the bed, he may be decent enough to get something sorted for you. Is there absolutely no way the bed will get up the stairs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Bugnug

nate1984 wrote: »
    We recently moved into a house. There have been several issues, some are minor but others are troublesome. For example, a minor issue is one where there landlord provided pots and pans but they were old dirty and rusty and wouldnt accept a receipt for new ones we bought. The major issue here is my bed. I have taken up residence in the attic which has been converted to a bedroom. However, the landlord only provided a mattress without a base for the room, he said the previous tenant preferred it that way which is fine. I asked him could he get the base from storage which he did. The only problem is the base doesn't fit up the stairs never mind the stairs to the attic. The only way I can get a base in is if I buy a two piece base. Can I charge the landlord or has he done enough to move away from any liability as he did technically provide a base?

Apart from anything else it sounds like a dangerous set up from a fire point of view. Is there a window you can get out from the attic space? Sounds very dodgy to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Bugnug wrote: »
    Apart from anything else it sounds like a dangerous set up from a fire point of view. Is there a window you can get out from the attic space? Sounds very dodgy to me?

Most attic conversions have narrow stairs, nothing odd there at all?

As the previous poster said, there's no obligation on the landlord to provide pots and pans, they certainly should not be expected to cover the costs of you buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

athtrasna wrote: »
    Most attic conversions have narrow stairs, nothing odd there at all?
    Which is why they usually can't legally be described as bedrooms and can't legally be let as such
    As the previous poster said, there's no obligation on the landlord to provide pots and pans, they certainly should not be expected to cover the costs of you buying them.
    Agreed on this one, but you should definitely have a bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 littlemiss00

I have been through this problem.

I rented a house for myself and 5 children the beds were about 20 years old although i did not notice this at the time as the beds were made.

When i moved into the house and changed the covers to my own it was then i realised all the springs were coming through the beds.

I approached the landlord and he said i took on the house as seen.

I was not happy with this and i was paying €990.00 rent a month.

I decided to hold back the rent and not pay him until these beds were replaced.

To say they were not fit enough for a dog to sleep in.

Outcome was i bought new beds he got his rent he told me he would reimburse me for some of the cost involved he gave me €70.00, what a cheek!!!

In future now i thoroughly check a house now before i rent it.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I decided to hold back the rent and not pay him until these beds were replaced.

To say they were not fit enough for a dog to sleep in.

Outcome was i bought new beds he got his rent he told me he would reimburse me for some of the cost involved he gave me €70.00, what a cheek!!!

In future now i thoroughly check a house now before i rent it.:D

You are not entitled to hold back the rent in this case. As for buying new beds, provided you stored the old ones, the new ones were yours to take when you moved out so what's the issue :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭pejay

There is no issue i was replying to the original post and yes i did take my beds with me when i left and no i did not store the old ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The only way is to check everything when you view.

We take a checklist, looking very official on a clip board, so the landlord cannot sweet talk too much, and we take careful notes.

And we get everything done immediately before we move in.

Or we don't take the place.

It almost worked 100 % here; if you don't act at the start, it gets more difficult to get things done then.

But we had had them remove the ancient electric cooker, and the old TVs, and change the furniture round - and replace the washing machine that they knew was broken, and the fridge,.. and fix the gate that wa hanging off the posts.

The spare beds are still here, but neatly stacked so used for storage.

It was a few days before we realised that the toilet is not connected to the floor and so far that has not been fixed....:rolleyes:

And we have our own crockery etc; and simply box up all the strange oddments usually found in rentals. The same with their curtains.

Advertisement