Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance

• 29-03-2010 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has their hardware insurred and if you could recomend any companies for it. my current kit is
    canon 550d
    canon 400d
    sigma 18 -200
    nifty 50
    various tripods and flashguns

any help appreciated. cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Unless you're making money from photography, you should be able to stick it on your house contents insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Paulw wrote: »
    Unless you're making money from photography, you should be able to stick it on your house contents insurance.

What happens if its gets stolen outside of the house?

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Many policies will cover contents while they are removed from the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭thebiglad

dazftw wrote: »
    What happens if its gets stolen outside of the house?

If you specify the items they will be covered outside of the house.

Just phone your insurer and they will be able to tell you the cost and extent of cover available with their policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just to be clear, you put your gear (cameras, lenses even laptops) into an all risks addon to your home contents policy. I'm not really sure of the cost (it's an extra) but it's not excessive and well worth doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I got all risk cover added on to my home insurance to cover camera and other items laptops etc valued at €8k for an extra €26.00

What if you don't have house insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

Don't use them myself but some people here do.

www.camerainsurance.ie

What if you don't have house insurance?

Then that's a bit foolish, no matter where you live. You should always have some form of insurance (home insurance, or just contents insurance).

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

I had included all my camera equipment last year on home insurance for no extra cost but this year read the conditions and noticed that I did not have accidental damage and when I included that it cost about €100 more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Then that's a bit foolish, no matter where you live. You should always have some form of insurance (home insurance, or just contents insurance).

If you have a mortgage you must have both life & house insurance.
    If you rent a house or apartment your land lord should have some kind of insurance, but i'd recommend your own contents insurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I am just off the phone with 123.ie
    If I go for contents insurance and insure 5000 Euro worht of stuff + full insurance on my camera outside the house (damage, loss, theft) it would cost me 170 per annum. Not bad I think.

DK32 wrote: »
    If you rent a house or apartment your land lord should have some kind of insurance, but i'd recommend your own contents insurance.

Your landlord's insurance won't cover any of your stuff at all. You NEED your own insurance for your stuff.

Most insurance companies will quote for contents only insurance.

Of course, if you're earning from photography, you can get professional insurance cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

DK32 wrote: »

if you rent and the windows and door locks aren't of a certain standard or you have shared entrances with other tentants, contents insurance is often not available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

One of the lads who posts here from time to time balfey72 will be able to help you. He posted some stuff here about a month ago. Very helpful

www.heritageinsurancegroup or www.hig.ie or 01 8 40 80 60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

thanks for all your help. i havent got any contents insurtance because i rent and the only thing of any value i own are my cameras. the deals mentioned by some of you are very good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

To add to the advice offered by previous posters, I'm renting too and have contents insurance with 123.ie (Travelers). I have my 5D and assorted lenses as specified items and insured for all risks.

Luckily I haven't had to, and hopefully will never have to make a claim!

What's really interesting though, and I ask 123.ie about it every single time I talk to them, is that my equipment was for the most part bought second-hand. I'll have a hard time providing proof of purchase should I need to make a claim - but they claim that they use 'the honor system' and don't require proof of ownership. Does that sound right?

They can always ask for the serial number from your camera/lens. Just make note of every serial number, for when you need to report it damaged/stolen, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

... Just make note of every serial number, for when you need to report it damaged/stolen, etc.

Thanks! Let's hope the serial number is enough for them then!

preilly79 wrote: »
    Thanks! Let's hope the serial number is enough for them then!

It's good enough for any insurance company I've had to deal with. Mind you, never had to claim yet, thankfully.

• Advertisement
Advertisement