Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work problem

Options
  • 29-03-2010 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Ok so basically i work in a local shop, i've had problems with pay and shifts before. I strongly believe my manager doesn't like which is important for this. Basically i was trained in as a junior manager to cover part time shifts when the current junior went on holidays and was assured that once a vacancy arose i would be promoted. I've worked for them for over 2 and a half years and I know from talking to everyone but my manager that i was reccommended for the job and a lot were surprised i wasn't already a junior manager. Now a vacancy has arisen and i was told last week that i wasn't availible enough for the position, I enquired about this and tried to talk politely with my manager about this but she kept interupting me and saying I had an attitude problem, I was extremely polite and people saw me talking on the phone and agree with me that I was nothing but nice to her. They had already hired someone else to fill the position before i was even spoken to. Any advice on what to do, i'm only given 6 hours work at the moment and i feel they are making very awkward for me to continue working there.
    Oh and also the person they have hired is a non Eu citizen which I have heard there has been laws brought in about labour market needs tests but i can't seem to find anything concrete about it.
    At the moment i'm looking into simply asking the owner to transfer over to one of his other shops which i have worked in before, but the problem there is that my current manager is his daughter so i'm very wary of being critical of her at all. Any advice on what to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Any possibility of finding a job in another company in your area? Sounds like you're flogging a dead horse, TBH.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

your post sounds like you've gotten a lot of feedback from others - im presuming that they are staff. which is fine- but the feedback you need is your managers if you want a promotion, not your workmates.

you have said that you were trained to cover junior management, and that you were assured the role when a vacancy turned up -but nothing in your post about the skills you can bring to the position or how much of a support you would be to the general manager.

i went for supervisor posts in the past which i did not get, and looking back, its because i couldnt demonstrate to the management that i was more 'management' material than 'staff' in everyday dealings with them. i was quite outspoken when my pay or roster got fecked up, and quick to critisise management decisions. so i brought it all on my self, lesson learned.

a promotion is earned - you may have been considered initially for the role, you need to ask yourself what changed their minds?

you may be right - she may not like you, and it might be time to make a fresh start elsewhere, can you ask the owner for reasons such as commuting? or if you ask to rotate your training- its common enough in retail to get moved to different branches anyway, maybe if she doesnt like you, she will be happy for you both to part ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oompa

Yeah i'm actually hoping she doesn't like me and i get moved, the reasons given were my lack of availibility. Its a part time position for about 20 hours a week and i'm being told its because i'm in college and not availible all the time to cover in case of an emergency, funny thing is i'm doing an arts degree which means that i've got roughly 10 hours of lectures in college a week. Not even a full working week when added together and i actually have two full days off during the week as well.
    The feedback i've gotten was from other workmates but Ii was more so from the other junior managers working in the shop, who told me they reccommended me for the job.
    Unfortunately i kinda agree with you mary but the problem is I can't find another job otherwise I would've left already due to the lack of hours i'm given which are being chipped away at as well because of the recession and less people working shifts and shorter shifts as well, also because of the downturn they know they can have a unneeded amount of staff for very little hours a week and never be left short someone to work.
    Oh well sure i'll see how it goes but I do realise i'm dealing with dishonest people clearly not above immorral work practices, I say that because of how i've seen them operate in my time working for them.
    Thanks for the advice anyway

Advertisement