Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Box in Box Room

• 29-03-2010 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi all, just curious to know can the box in a box room (8*10) be removed or what. I've read where people have put wardrobes on top of it and so on, but still it seems a waste of space. The box room itself hangs over the stairs, so I'd imagine the actual box itself is the only thing from stopping me putting my feet through the ceiling!

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

This is not a serious diy question is it... Do you actually own the house or is it your parents...

If you own the house why dont you look inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

Hi all, just curious to know can the box in a box room (8*10) be removed or what. I've read where people have put wardrobes on top of it and so on, but still it seems a waste of space. The box room itself hangs over the stairs, so I'd imagine the actual box itself is the only thing from stopping me putting my feet through the ceiling!

Any ideas?
    built in wardrobe is the best and probably only solution to make the box prettier.it accomadates the slope for headroom on a stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vicbarry2010

This is not a serious diy question is it... Do you actually own the house or is it your parents...

If you own the house why dont you look inside.

That's incredibly useful! Good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 vicbarry2010

built in wardrobe is the best and probably only solution to make the box prettier.it accomadates the slope for headroom on a stairs

The thing is, there is no slope for the stairs, It's just a flat, overhang. Could the box be cut down or removed and that particular part of the ceiling re-enforced?

Has anyone removed a box from a box room as it's entirely limiting the floor space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Just take the top off the box and see whats inside and if you think its safe enought remove the entire box and fit a wardrobe where it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

A Mate of mine built a bed over it with underneath storage....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

The box was put there for a reason so i would say stick with either putting your wardrobe on top of it or building one in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

mad m wrote: »

Thinking of doing that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

mad m wrote: »

Years ago when I was a kid, my dad built up the box to the same height as the bed legs and put the head of the bed on the box and the other end is on legs.
    Worked a treat. It's still there to this day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Just had a 7.5 x 7 feet box room to small guest bedroom/study room conversion done in my house.
    Built in bed unit,under bed storage and wall shelving unit.Also TV and PC points on the wall.

The room was also internally insulated with 50mm insulated plaster board,so only a very small rad was needed.

Room can now be used as either a study room,or as another bedroom if a guest or family member wants to stay over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It really does depend on how much the slope for the stairs encroaches onto the floor of the room, and the layout of the joists. I couldn't do sfa with my one as it would leave the ceiling height too low on the stairs. Sometimes you just have to live with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The thing is, there is no slope for the stairs, It's just a flat, overhang. Could the box be cut down or removed and that particular part of the ceiling re-enforced?

Has anyone removed a box from a box room as it's entirely limiting the floor space!

Go and stand on the stairs and see what would happen to your head room if the ceiling carried on at the same height! That 'box' is headroom and does not contain anything except some timber framing. If you remove it you will have a large hole in your stairs ceiling. The only option is to do as the others have suggested, work with it, put a wardrobe on it etc.

Just on the subject, it isn't called a box room because it has a box in it, a small room upstairs used to be used for storing luggage, trunks, hat boxes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

paddy147 wrote: »
    Just had a 7.5 x 7 feet box room to small guest bedroom/study room conversion done in my house.
    Built in bed unit,under bed storage and wall shelving unit.Also TV and PC points on the wall.

The room was also internally insulated with 50mm insulated plaster board,so only a very small rad was needed.

Room can now be used as either a study room,or as another bedroom if a guest or family member wants to stay over.

Where's the 'box' that accommodates headroom when coming up the stairs? Is it under the bed?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

the previous owners of my house built a wardrobe on it. works good in the room, as it was in an alcove:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Where's the 'box' that accommodates headroom when coming up the stairs? Is it under the bed?

Box? More like angled/sloped space.

Yes,its under the bed,the bed frame was built by the carpenter to suit the size and shape of the room and the angled part that alows you to walk up and down the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Kitchen Expert

Definitely don't remove it. It gives extra head room when walking up the stairs.

The normal thing to do, and you see it in a lot of houses, is to square off the boxing in the room and then sit a wardrobe on top of it. You're not wasting that much space really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I removed the box, strengthened it a bit and put down some 12mm ply. I know have a nice deep desk above it and my feet are resting on it as I type. (Its an office room)

Advertisement