Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway - Limerick train questions

• 29-03-2010 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Does it really take 2 hours??
    - quicker than bus?

How much does it cost??
    - cheaper than bus?

Is there a feeder bus to Shannon airport??
    - and how often is it?

Does it stop in Oranmore??
    - where can I park my car?

JR.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭cormy

The answers to 1, 2 and 4 are available on irishrail.ie.

Maybe someone else can answer number 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

RizzoJR wrote: »
    - quicker than bus?

How much does it cost??
    - cheaper than bus?

- and how often is it?

JR.

It does take 2 hours - buses take 90 minutes (Citylink) and 2 hours 20 minutes (Bus Eireann).

Buses from Limerick to Shannon Airport - nothing from Sixmilebridge.

It will not stop at Oranmore until 2011 - planning permission is only going in for that station now.

Fare should be EUR 20 day return for Limerick/Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

2.5 hours actually

- quicker than bus?

AFAIK CityLink can do the run in 90 minutes.
    How much does it cost??

€20 return
    - cheaper than bus?

No

From where? you better off getting the bus from Limerick to Shannon by the look of it.
    - and how often is it?

Cant answer that as I don't know

Don't think so

What ever station you get it from should have a car park.

2.5 hours actually

That is only one train (0600 ex-Limerick) and the reason for that is because it splits in Ennis, with one half returning to Limerick at 0645 to connect into the 0735 direct train to Dublin. Why can the 0600 not leave later? There is no passing loop between Ennis and Limerick and as a result the connection to the direct train to Dublin would be lost.

All other trains take 2 hours.

Some more thoughts on the operations of this route are at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764514

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I see you can't make a reservation online either.

Also there's no information on the new stations under the My station section of the website.
    Middleton and Carrigtwohil aren't mentioned either.....

Last train leaves Galway at the unearthly late hour of 5:25pm.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Also there's no information on the new stations under the My station section of the website.
    Middleton and Carrigtwohil aren't mentioned either.....

A resounding success, yes?

Built on the cheap in the 19th century. Closed in the 20th century due to lack of interest. Reopened on the cheap in the 21st century due to civilian ignorance* and political bollox.

* A facet that makes me ashamed to be an Irishman. The west of Ireland is truly the last bastion of gombeenism. (With respect to the 21st century people who live in, love and hate the place)

But time will ultimately tell the tale.;)

Simple reason for that - the services are operated by 2700 Class railcars which do not have onboard computerised reservation facilities.

To my mind a crazy decision. An extra train could operate at 1835 or so as far as either Gort or Ennis which would facilitate commuters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KC61 wrote: »
    That is only one train (0600 ex-Limerick) and the reason for that is because it splits in Ennis, with one half returning to Limerick at 0645 to connect into the 0735 direct train to Dublin. Why can the 0600 not leave later? There is no passing loop between Ennis and Limerick and as a result the connection to the direct train to Dublin would be lost.

All other trains take 2 hours.

Some more thoughts on the operations of this route are at http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055764514
    Simple reason for that - the services are operated by 2700 Class railcars which do not have onboard computerised reservation facilities.
    Its worse than that. For a Dublin-Gort journey, it won't been allow you book the Dublin-Limerick/Athenry bit. See image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

To my mind a crazy decision. An extra train could operate at 1835 or so as far as either Gort or Ennis which would facilitate commuters.

i would imagine this is due to staff rostering.Is it the case I wonder that the timetable can be operated within a single working day and a second shift would be required to put on later trains?

Advertisement