Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Maths

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ruski wrote: »
    Moments of Inertia is not a difficult question. Part A of the question is just one of three simple proofs you have to learn off, and part B would be an applied maths question using what came up for part A.

Hmm that sounds easier than a lot of the questions on the other topics - I wonder why we skipped it?

Does anyone else notice that other topics sneak into some questions. For example, in 2005 Q3 (Projectiles), impacts/collisions was incorporated into the question, and Q4 (Connected Particles) in 2001 (I think) had a part (a) about SHM and Amplitude.

I'm hoping something from Hydrostatics or Moments of Inertia (the topics I haven't covered) doesn't creep into any of the questions I do (it's unlikely).

Does anybody else find Relative Velocity hard to get your head around? I should really study it, because apparently the questions that come up in the exam papers are quite repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Does anybody else find Relative Velocity hard to get your head around? I should really study it, because apparently the questions that come up in the exam papers are quite repetitive.

Yes. There are four different types of questions which come up. Two which can only be answered by the vector method, one uses the triangle law, and one which can be answered using either.

The first one you're given the velocity of two objects and information on distance and you have to find whatever is given: This is solved using vectors.

The second is that you're given the velocity of an object which has to travel a certain distance through a medium which features forces which act upon the performance of the object. This uses the triangle law.

The other type which could come up can be solved using either methods, but preferably the triangle law. It's the ones which are 'crossing a river' questions.

The final type uses the vector method and it's the question which features apparent velocity and distance from the point of view from a different object with a velocity.

Hope this helps in your studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Making bad are you in christians or bruce in cork? :o usually they are the only 2 who do hydro statics :P which is crazy as it is much easier than some of the other questions!

Ive covered all except 8 and 7 i think, i still have 6th year for them :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭validusername

I agree, I always avoid that question but after reading what Ruski said, I think I should give it another chance. It's weird though, 'cause everyone in my AM class don't like Relative Velocity either. however, my teacher has been giving us a lot of Relative Velocity questions to do recently as she said they're one of the nicer questions in the papers.

Advertisement