Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How easy is it to get an MBNA card?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all,

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with MBNA - I dont have any credit and i need a credit card to hire cars etc and i applied with AIB and was refused. Was wondering if MBNA is a little more lenient with their lending criteria?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

They have a rep of being easier than most, but someone post on here lately that they were refused. All you can do is apply and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Paolo1982 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Just wondering what other peoples experiences are with MBNA - I dont have any credit and i need a credit card to hire cars etc and i applied with AIB and was refused. Was wondering if MBNA is a little more lenient with their lending criteria?

They could not care less - I had a terrible record with them a few years ago and eventually cancleled my card. Applied again 2 years later and got a new card in the post no questiosn asked - in trouible again now though, dope!!

They may be different now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

murphym7 wrote: »
    They could not care less - I had a terrible record with them a few years ago and eventually cancleled my card. Applied again 2 years later and got a new card in the post no questiosn asked - in trouible again now though, dope!!

They may be different now though.
    Interesting. I had an MBNA card a few years back which they cancelled. Or rather, they didn't renew once it reached it's expiry date. I may try my luck again, simply to transfer the balance of my Halifax card over. Much easier to clear when interest free for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Personally, I wouldn't touch them. I had awful experiences of them allegedly not receiving my payments and then charging late payment fees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

oldyouth wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't touch them. I had awful experiences of them allegedly not receiving my payments and then charging late payment fees

I had exactly the same problem with them 7 years ago.

They stiil send me application forms. I wouldn't use them for a credit card if they were the only company in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They won't stop asking me to sign up!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I applied for one online about a year ago. I put in all my details and a week later a credit card arrived in the post with a 10K limit on it. No need for me to provide any sort of identification or proof of address. I was amazed, considering that banks and credit card companies etc. were supposed to be tightening up on lending. Apparently not. While I was glad to have the card, I wasn't impressed with how easy it was to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

they rang me one day and said would i like a CC. i thought they were gonna send me an application form. they sent me a CC with a 3.5k limit

shockingly easy. but that America for you

overall my advice would be do not get a CC from MBNA. youll regret it in the end

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

dont go anywhere near them.

their customer care is horrendous, as are their late fees and interest rates.

cancelled mine before christmas, had a nightmare trying to cancel it. their customer rep, kept me on the phone for 20 mins trying to tell me why i shouldnt cancel their card - whereas i spent 20 mins sayin I WANT TO CANCEL MY CARD over and over again.

they then cancelled it and it 4 weeks later sent me a letter saying i owed something like 60cent and as i hadnt paid it they per putting on late fees of 15e.:eek:

got it sorted in the end - do i wouldnt advise anyone to touch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 newtogame

If you can go to another provider.MBNA are awful to deal with.They are the most expensive if you are late making a payment and you lose your interest free period the following month.The people are rude and unhelpful.I think they come from the traffic warden school of customer service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

They never sent me a replacement card when my last one expired.
    That said, when i had my wallet knicked in China they couriered a replacement to me within three working days. I was seriously impressed by that, was totally screwed otherwise. Maybe that's why they are not sending me a new one??!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement