Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance

• 29-03-2010 5:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Hey guys, apologies if there is a car insurance forum but i could not find one, but does anyone have any knowledge of which firm would be the best for getting a good deal? I want to get my own insurance after spending 3 years under my parents name but the best quote i can get is about €775 after checking out a few online sites. A few months ago i was checking out a few sites and got a quote of €640 but alas i can't remember which one:rolleyes:

All help appreciated.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Degag wrote: »
    Any info appreciated.:) :P

What age are you, is the car less than 10 years old (I've had some that won't touch it if it was), full or provisional license, are you male or female, what make/model/engine is it, etc, etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Get the phone book out and ring around tomorrow. Online quoting systems are usually poor, especially if you're under 25.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Yeah, sorry guys. I'm 23 going 24, car is 19 years old:eek: but going like clockwork, male, full licence for just under a year, driving for 3. No accident, no points, no claims etc. I've been told that if i waited another year before going on my own the price could come down alot because i'll be almost 25?? Any opinions?

Cheers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

best quote i can get is about €775 after checking out a few online sites. A few months ago i was checking out a few sites and got a quote of €640 but alas i can't remember which one:rolleyes:

You poor thing! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Not much fun is it. I'm 35 driving a 15year old Subaru Impreza
    fully comp €575. What kinda car is it you have. Shop around
    as much as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Wish I could get insurance for €775. I'm 30, full license for under a year and best quote I can get so far for a 9 year old Volvo S40 1.8 is €1,294 for TPFT. Fully comp would be 1,605 for a €3k car. Cheapest quote is with 123.ie who're charging me over 90 euro extra because I live in Dublin 8 rather than Dublin 1,2,4,9,15 or 6 etc.

Above includes no no claims bonus or named driver experience. Anyone know of a better place than 123.ie. Quinn quoted me €1,632 and Axa €1,838 all for TPFT insurance. Thought once at least you get to the mature age of 30 insurance would drop a bit in this rip off country.

2nd Provisional, 29, male, 02 1.4 Honda Civic. My first year was €1,200, now it's €800. My broker is insure.ie and I'm insured with Asgard (part of Lloyds TSB). Fully comp, on my own policy.

Dr_Colossus: ouch. Ring Insure.ie, and see how you get on. I think when I went through the online thing, it quoted me a few different prices, depending on the day :S

Degag: You may f**ked. Most companies that I looked for quotes with wouldn't insure anything over 10 years old. Saying that, since you have a full license, you have a better chance.

I tried online quotes such as bestquote.ie and 123.ie for general ideas
    i'm with aa and they found the cheapest one for me - cheaper than i got quoted online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

the_syco wrote: »
    Dr_Colossus: ouch. Ring Insure.ie, and see how you get on. I think when I went through the online thing, it quoted me a few different prices, depending on the day :S

Thanks the_syco. Tried insure.ie and they came back saying the cheapest they could find was 1,752. Told them about the 1,294 quote with 123.ie and they said to leave it with them and they'd get back to me. They did and later said they couldn't come anywhere near the 123.ie quote.

Decided to go under my parents name for one last year as the insurance broker said that once i turned 25, the premium should come down a bit.

• Advertisement

Decided to go under my parents name for one last year as the insurance broker said that once i turned 25, the premium should come down a bit.

Some joke, you run a car insured in your folks name and then complain when you get quoted what sounds a quite reasonable amount for insurance. Insurance is high due to folks like you not being 100% open with insurers. If you are the main driver of a car you should have it insured in your own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Hey guys, apologies if there is a car insurance forum but i could not find one, but does anyone have any knowledge of which firm would be the best for getting a good deal? I want to get my own insurance after spending 3 years under my parents name but the best quote i can get is about €775 after checking out a few online sites. A few months ago i was checking out a few sites and got a quote of €640 but alas i can't remember which one:rolleyes:

I'm 32, 3 year with full license, No points, Honda civic 1.5 2000, 725 Euro. I think you are doing well kiddo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭wyrn

Mine went up over €300 because I was "over 25"! (Even though I was over 25 when I took up their quote)
    Honestly, some of the excuses you get is daft.

The real reason was because I had a special introductory offer and the general rise of premiums. Rang around and got an offer which was pretty similar to what I was currently paying, which was what I was looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

RoverJames wrote: »
    Insurance is high due to folks like you not being 100% open with insurers. If you are the main driver of a car you should have it insured in your own name.

Eh no, not really.

John_Mc wrote: »
    Eh no, not really.

It's most definitely a factor, if not why didn't we all do it ? Why do the insurance companies not cover you like this if you are open about the intentions ?

It's most definitely a factor, if not why didn't we all do it ? Why do the insurance companies not cover you like this if you are open about the intentions ?

I agree that insurance fraud makes it more expensive for the insurance companies, and therefore increases everyone premium.

Deciding to take insurance as a named driver instead of main driver is simply not the same thing.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

My insurance on a 2006 Almera, 28, 5 years no claims and full licence is €350 or thereabouts, fully comp. Im with Britton Insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

VW Golf GTi with 4yrs NCB @ €850

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

I moved from Quinn last year ( TG) policy went from €300 ish to over €1600. Ive a 2.0l passat & im 32, driving since im 17. I checked around & was quoted anything from €300 to €1900 .I went with 123.ie as they were €424 inc full step back.
    BUT the cover they were providing was far better than any of the others. They are underwritten by Travelers & they now cover me for everything from contents to hire car which I had nothing with Quinn.

Do check what you are being covered for as its great to pay diddly for the policy but its a mare when you do have to make a claim & your covered for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's most definitely a factor,

Not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I agree that insurance fraud makes it more expensive for the insurance companies, and therefore increases everyone premium.

Deciding to take insurance as a named driver instead of main driver is simply not the same thing.
    If the proposer dishonestly declares on the proposal form that they, and not named driver, are the main driver of the car then it is fraud.

Anan1 wrote: »
    If the proposer dishonestly declares on the proposal form that they, and not named driver, are the main driver of the car then it is fraud.

Technically yes, but not the type of fraud that should put up premiums for everyone else.

Technically yes, but not the type of fraud that should put up premiums for everyone else.
    Of course it does, they're lying about risk. The liar pays less than they would if they told the truth, and guess who gets to make up the difference?

Eh, just for the record, i'm not hiding anything. The broker knows i have my own car etc etc. I don't see what the problem is. I'm only working part time with no fixed income and saving €300. That's alot of money. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Eh, just for the record, i'm not hiding anything. The broker knows i have my own car etc etc. I don't see what the problem is. I'm only working part time with no fixed income and saving €300. That's alot of money. I'm not doing anything wrong.

Yes you are, you own a car, are the main driver but you are insured under a parents name, that is wrong, like it or not. Ring the underwriter and have a chat with them if you are so confident you are doing nothing wrong ;)

Yes you are, you own a car, are the main driver but you are insured under a parents name, that is wrong, like it or not. Ring the underwriter and have a chat with them if you are so confident you are doing nothing wrong ;)

Eh, as i said i was in the insurance office yesterday and was talking to the broker myself about the situation. He advised me to do what i'm doing, and not in a "Don't tell anybody i told you this" way. I presume that if this guy is openly telling clients to do it, there is no problem.

Eh, as i said i was in the insurance office yesterday and was talking to the broker myself about the situation. He advised me to do what i'm doing, and not in a "Don't tell anybody i told you this" way. I presume that if this guy is openly telling clients to do it, there is no problem.
    If you're named as the main driver on the proposal form then you're doing nothing wrong. But if either you or your parent lied about who the main driver is on the proposal form then that's fraud.

If you're named as the main driver on the proposal form then you're doing nothing wrong. But if either you or your parent lied about who the main driver is on the proposal form then that's fraud.

Well i presume i am then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

I dont know how the op can complain there very reasonable quotes he got forfirst time insurance, i payed 1600 my first year on a 1.4 astra, id bite there hand off if they offered me that.

Altough fter reading other ppls post im thinking i got a great deal now, im 26 with 3 yrs no claims, 2nd provisional and im paying 950 on a 2.0 litre accord with 123 they were the cheapest quote i got by 300 hundred euro i was delighted to say the least.

• Advertisement

Well i presume i am then.
    My guess is you're not, to be honest. Remember, however the broker fills out the form, you are legally responsible for what you sign. Quite apart from the fraud element, if you get insured under your own name this year your insurance will be cheaper next year because you'll have a years NCB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I dont know how the op can complain there very reasonable quotes he got forfirst time insurance, i payed 1600 my first year on a 1.4 astra, id bite there hand off if they offered me that.

Altough fter reading other ppls post im thinking i got a great deal now, im 26 with 3 yrs no claims, 2nd provisional and im paying 950 on a 2.0 litre accord with 123 they were the cheapest quote i got by 300 hundred euro i was delighted to say the least.
    Jees thats an insane quote!

My guess is you're not, to be honest. Remember, however the broker fills out the form, you are legally responsible for what you sign. Quite apart from the fraud element, if you get insured under your own name this year your insurance will be cheaper next year because you'll have a years NCB.

Yes, but some sites i tried asked how many years you have been driving without an accident, including years while driving as a named driver. That leads me to believe that their must be a NCB for that also, presumably not a full one though.

Being fair though, i didn't complain about the price i was quoted, i just asked if anyone knew where i could find it cheaper. A subtle difference. Also most people who said i shouldn't be complaining are driving 1.4s and 1.6s etc. Mine is a 1.0 (technically a .999) so there is obviously a difference. I was pretty much decided to go on my own this year but on the advice of the broker and parents i decided to wait a year.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Jees thats an insane quote!

Oh dont i know it i couldnt get the money into them quck enough incase they decided they made a mistake and tried to re quote me ha.

Yes, but some sites i tried asked how many years you have been driving without an accident, including years while driving as a named driver. That leads me to believe that their must be a NCB for that also, presumably not a full one though.

Being fair though, i didn't complain about the price i was quoted, i just asked if anyone knew where i could find it cheaper. A subtle difference. Also most people who said i shouldn't be complaining are driving 1.4s and 1.6s etc. Mine is a 1.0 (technically a .999) so there is obviously a difference. I was pretty much decided to go on my own this year but on the advice of the broker and parents i decided to wait a year.

I dont think your quotes will drop by that much next year youd be better off starting now and at least getting one years no claims under your belt because obviously eventually your going to want to upgrade your car to something bigger and the more NCB you have the better for you.

Plus you do realise there a lot of factors that go into why you get your quote, for exaple the value of your car if your car is like 20 years old you said was it? it wont be worth much so the insurers will reckon you pretty much wont give a toss about it not always true i know but its how they see it. Were as if your cars newer or of higher value they reckon youll be more careful because its of value.

At least thats how ive been told it works and with multiple other factors such as job, were you live etc all come into account.

Many companies will give an introductory bonus on the basis of the proposer's having been named on another policy. Best thing is to check who'd be named as the main driver on the policy. Insurance fraud is really not something you want to get involved with. If you were unfortunate enough to be in an accident involving serious injury they could start doing some research, and if they find that they were lied to then it could get quite nasty for both you and your parents.

• Advertisement

Many companies will give an introductory bonus on the basis of the proposer's having been named on another policy. Best thing is to check who'd be named as the main driver on the policy. Insurance fraud is really not something you want to get involved with. If you were unfortunate enough to be in an accident involving serious injury they could start doing some research, and if they find that they were lied to then it could get quite nasty for both you and your parents.

Thanks Anan1, i will be having a look into it just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I also wasn't aware that you could be a main driver on a car under someone elses name/policy.

The broker may have recommended the idea but it may be the only way he can be assured of getting your business and it doesn't necessarily mean you'll be covered if you have to claim.
    lucy2010 wrote: »
    Do check what you are being covered for as its great to pay diddly for the policy but its a mare when you do have to make a claim & your covered for nothing.

Couldn't agree more with that statement but I think the majority of people rarely compare the fine print of different policies unfortunately.

Yeah, I'm confused at how the OP is unhappy at the quote too. I paid 3900 euro for a 1999 Colt 1.3 when I was 19yo on my first car. 700 odd euro is not a lot when you are under 25 and have 0 years on your own policy, especially when you spread it over the year.

Although, your 950e on a 2ltr Accord while still on a provisional is really good I think luvbulmers.

I'm paying 1990e for a 3.5ltr sports coupe and I'm 24 with both 3 years for full license and NCB and 0 points/claims.
    My renewal came in at 1500e now which I'm considering but I'm really glad it's dropped by nearly 500e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

20, 1 Years NCB, full licence 2 Years, 2.5TD Kia Sorento Commercial - Quinn 1830 Fully comp , it was 1845 last year with full licence 1 year, no NCB, TPF & T , so an ncb made the difference, i thought it was cheap but im going to go shippong around, see if i can get it any cheaper, FBD were no help to me last year when renewing, they quoted me 2 grand TP only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

33 years of age, full licence for 9 years, I used to be with Quinn D. and paid 650e for fully comp last year, this year they offered me a renewal at "premium" 722e. Cancelled the renewal, got insurance in AXA (same fully comp, etc) for 490e. I drive 1.4 Opel.

The funny thing is, that immediately after I ceased my policy online I got a call from Quinn who said "maybe there is something we can do, maybe we can look into your account" etc. Lot of bollocks to be honest, asked them to feck off and said that they should have looked into my account before they offered me such ridiculous quote after being with them for the past few years.

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    33 years of age, full licence for 9 years, I used to be with Quinn D. and paid 650e for fully comp last year, this year they offered me a renewal at "premium" 722e. Cancelled the renewal, got insurance in AXA (same fully comp, etc) for 490e. I drive 1.4 Opel.

The funny thing is, that immediately after I ceased my policy online I got a call from Quinn who said "maybe there is something we can do, maybe we can look into your account" etc. Lot of bollocks to be honest, asked them to feck off and said that they should have looked into my account before they offered me such ridiculous quote after being with them for the past few years.

Ha yeh i got the same thing with quinn direct rang up to get a quote on my new car they wouldnt even quote me, so when i found a new insurer and rang up to cancel my insurance they wanted to know why and when told they wouldnt quote me on it even though i had 3 and half years business with them, was told oh really you shouldve been quoted do u know who you talked to on the phone when you rang, good business plan they have there.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    I tried online quotes such as bestquote.ie and 123.ie for general ideas
    i'm with aa and they found the cheapest one for me - cheaper than i got quoted online
    As you are a woman, you should goto Eagle Star insurance: they're meant to be good if your a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

@ Degag: The big thing to remember is to shop around. At Chill.ie we carried out a recent survey where we found consumers can still save an average of €165 by shopping around despite the rising cost of insurance premiums. We also have a great young driver product which is worth checking out through our site or our Facebook page! Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Polices in general have been going up the last few months....

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chill.ie (Conor)

Yea, policies have gone up by an average of 33% although their are still deals to be had out there by making a few phone calls

Quinn wanted €520 off me to renew my policy with them, 29, 9 years NCB and full license on a Rover 216 Coupe. 123.ie quoted €420, as it happened I changed my car to a 1993 520i estate, €480 with 123.ie, in fairness Alza were also much the same as 123.ie, only a small bit more expensive. Quinn wanted €900 to insure the 520 :eek:

Weird as I had a 2.2 Prelude insured with quinn for €600 during the year, dunno what their game is. The 520i is not a fast car, particularly in touring guise.

Advertisement