Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giving up Smoking

Options
  • 29-03-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

It's my 7th Day of the cigarettes... i've gone cold turkey I'm finding it very hard the last 2 days, i thought it is supose to get easier the longer you go,:confused: can't stop thinking about the cigs, it's driving me mad... any suggestions to stop thinking about smoking....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

I found I was thinking about the activity of smoking rather than just smoking. I enjoyed going out the back for a smoke, and it was that I enjoyed more than smoking its self. Just do the activity you associated with smoking.

Remember, your not giving anything up, your just not doing something.

Stay strong

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beanie Ber

Thanks for that.... that does make sense alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Kenteach

Identify the 'trigger' times, the times when you most get the urge. For me it was when i got into my car or after meals. Pick something to do at these times - I used to change from CD to radio or vice versa when I started up my car, rather than lighting a cigarette. I surprised myself how quickly the urges left me. Been off them nearly 5 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Beanie Ber

When does the cravings go?.... today wasn't to bad tho, I had a day off work and really nervous being at home all day, wasn't as bad as I thought...feeling alot more positive now than I did this morning......:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

Beanie Ber wrote: »
    When does the cravings go?.... today wasn't to bad tho, I had a day off work and really nervous being at home all day, wasn't as bad as I thought...feeling alot more positive now than I did this morning......:o

The craving for the drug is already really gone. The craving that your missing something to do, or the restlessness don't really go away. Your energy is rising, and your body is getting better so you feel like you need to do more with that pent up feeling.

You see this as a craving, it's hard I know but stick with it. You'll fell better again tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Minxie123

I'm in my third week now. I'm using the nicotine patches and its been a lot easier than when I've gone cold turkey. Got through Paddys and a couple of sessions without faltering so I'm delighted with myself. My strategy is to literally take it one moment at a time. I'm definitely finished with them now. I will never smoke again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

Excercise is very important, start going for walks or cycling or swimming etc. Will really help you feel good about being off them. Drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of fruit and veg instead of snacking on bad things.

I'm off them since November and am feeling fantastic.

A quick peek at www.whyquit.com always helped me stay motivated during the early days. Check out the stories of people that died young of cancer, that always helped me stay at it.

The Boards.ie Giving Up Smoking forum is a great help too.

Advertisement