Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mount Carmel Maternity Hospital

Options
  • 29-03-2010 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

I would love to hear some experiences of first time mothers who attended Mount Carmel hospital.

I have been looking on their website and some of their Hospital Maternity Care is covered under certain health insurance plans, i.e. VHI, Family Plan Plus or VIVA Level 2 Hosp. etc

As a first time, I would love to hear about Mount Carmel Maternity, labour management and how others viewed their maternity experience there.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

My sister in law has had 3 children there and can't speak highly enough about the place.

I have however heard from midwife friends that they would be a little quicker to give you a C-Section there than in any of the public hospitals, even if there isn't a real indication. I've never worked there tho so I've never seen this first hand.

If this would be something that would concern you, you should ring the hospital and ask what their statistics are for sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Classact

Thanks for reply, crazycatlady and the info re: C section. I will check that out.

It is expensive place so guess if C-section could be avoided, it would be best to not have one.

Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

There isn't a NICU there either so if there is any complications with the baby you will be transferred to Holles St

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Elle13

Classact wrote: »
    I would love to hear some experiences of first time mothers who attended Mount Carmel hospital.

I have been looking on their website and some of their Hospital Maternity Care is covered under certain health insurance plans, i.e. VHI, Family Plan Plus or VIVA Level 2 Hosp. etc

As a first time, I would love to hear about Mount Carmel Maternity, labour management and how others viewed their maternity experience there.

Thanks

I understand that this mite not be concern of yours but do you know that to deliver the baby in Mount Carmel will cost you more then only few thousand euro???!!!! Even with the best health care cover it will cost you more then 8000 to deliver in there..
    I got the quote couple of months ago... they are suppose to be great but I can not imagine they could be so great to charge that kind of money for baby delivery.. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It was too far away to be an option for me but everyone I know that went there can not recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

A work colleague of mine went there. She was an older first-time-mum (40) and wanted to ensure 'the best' for herself and her baby. Her opinion was that the ante-natal care was excellent and helped set her mind at ease as she got as many scans as she wanted, had actual appointment times rather than having to wait in a clinic and felt that there was real continuity of care by the medical staff. However, she felt the labour itself was only okay, and in comparison to my experience (midwife-led in a public hospital), it was much more medicalised than she would have liked. She felt in retrospect that they were a bit too quick to opt for the section, although it probably was necessary as baby subsequently had to be transferred to Holles Street to the NICU, where he remained for 3 days. She found the whole transfer business stressful too. I don't know if she would go there again. I'd imagine the antenatal benefits could be had by going private with any consultant. The AIMS website will give you a breakdown of c-section stats nationwide, and ratemyhospital.com has some patient feedback on every hospital if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mustang23

Elle13 wrote: »
    I understand that this mite not be concern of yours but do you know that to deliver the baby in Mount Carmel will cost you more then only few thousand euro???!!!! Even with the best health care cover it will cost you more then 8000 to deliver in there..
    I got the quote couple of months ago... they are suppose to be great but I can not imagine they could be so great to charge that kind of money for baby delivery.. :confused:

Not true in my case. My consultant cost 3k and my VHI covered most of the hospital stay and delivery, I only had to pay 1300 extra, so 4300 all-in. Nowhere near 8k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I had all 4 of mine there-the last in 2003. I loved it. Couldn't speak highly enough of it. I saw many of the same staff there in 2003 as in 1989 when I had my first. The last baby cost about 4k.

PS.I do know that they cannot cater for babies born before 32 weeks. Several of mine were in the special care unit for a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mumtoe&e

I had my first baby in one of the dublin maternity hospitals, then went on to have my second in mount carmel - got to say, it was worth every penny spent!

The care was second to done

Ante Natal - getting to see consultant on each visit without queuing for a million hours, was super!! Wonder consultant too!

During Labour, I was lucky in that I was the only woman in labour for the whole day that I was there, therefore I had lots of attention, it was super, they couldnt have done enough.. they are no more medicalised than any of the other maternity hospitals. The Midwives sincerely respect your wishes!

Post Natally, well it was just super that they took my baby off me to give me a rest for the 3 nights, yes, I know I will be shot for saying that, but after the experience I had on my first, being woken up when I was really really ill, first night after delivery, to feed my baby - the luxury of having my baby cared for in the nursery for the 3 nights was super.. it really stood to me when I left the hospital! I felt great!! If you wanted, the Midwives would bring babs in to you so you could feed him/her!

The money, well its not much more than if you were to go private in any of the other hospitals!

At the time, my consultant was 3k, and health insurance covered the majority of the hospital bill.. could also claim tax back on consultant bill!!!

NOW, I am a student Midwife, and while I dont ever intend on having another baby IF a big IF I did, I think I would choose to attend a Midwives led clinic.. some of the public hospitals have great schemes, early transfer, domino etc.. if i were ever to have another baby, I would go with the community Midwives if possible!

But if you are seriously considering mount carmel, I say go for it without a doubt, its fab!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Terpsichore

My husband and I were first considering Mount Carmel mainly for geographic reasons, but when we heard that they cannot cope with difficult cases and that you get transferred in emergency to Holles St in case of complications... it was really quickly decided to go directly with Holles St. instead. Not that we were expecting any trouble or that my health is a concern: because it's not! I'm in normal health condition thank you very much!

Then we heard how stupidly expensive it is to have a kid there, especially when there is a wonderful public service in Ireland lead by incredible midwifes...well if you are lucky enough to live in the catchments area anyway for Domino and Early Home Transfer…

Don't get me wrong, I like a bit of luxury here and there, but as far as the oldest medical care for the most natural thing in the world is concerned, I really don't see why some people are still blind to the dreadful rip off that it is to pay 3k to 8k (or whatever they feel quoting that day!!!) for the birth of your child, especially when they cannot cater for emergencies. Absolute non sense!!!

I have been in Mount Carmel twice for a consultation for a cyst on my ear. What I have seen of it isn't particularly different from other hospitals in this country: you know it's an old building that could do with "a bit" of a modern upgrade... At least it looks clean. And the car park feels up very quickly (which is no good to park that brand new 2010 car…)

Bottom line is if you are in a position to be able to pay this ludicrous amount of money and if you are in a great health condition, you are completely ok to go to Mount Carmel!

On the other hand, completely sensible and completely cheaper options are available out there.

• Advertisement

mustang23 wrote: »
    Not true in my case. My consultant cost 3k and my VHI covered most of the hospital stay and delivery, I only had to pay 1300 extra, so 4300 all-in. Nowhere near 8k

This amount still make me feel really uncomfortable. Am I the only one??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

No your not but having a baby in Mount Carmel is seen as being a prestigous and for that alone people will pay money even if the level of care is exactly the same.

Thanks T! I think that prestige should have an extreme makeover! Because it doesn't look like the Ritz for sure!

Terpsichore - where have you sourced your information for - that MC cannot cope in emergency situations... Load of rubbish.. they have a special care baby unit... should a woman go into labour before 32wks then yes, they will refer her on to NMH!
    Just as some other hospitals have to transfer to Holles st, cavan, cork, but to name a few.........

I had first in Holles st and second in MC, and NO not for prestige BUT for the peace of mind that knowing that I would not be sharing a cubicle with another stranger whilst on the journey to the most private & special journey in my life - labour/delivery/birth - nah sorry, I wasnt too comfortable with knowing that I may share my birthing room with a complete stranger.... and then there is the spotless en suites that you get, rather than the queuing outside a bathroom awaiting to go to the loo, or use the shower.... and also the luxury of having my baby taken to the nursery each night to allow me to sleep - yes bad mammy that I am I didnt want to practice "rooming in" but i can tell you it stood to me on my exit from MC....
    Then there is the ultimate one to one treatment you get from every single staff member..
    Yes its crazy money.. but if you choose to go private in one of the public hospitals its just as crazy...
    not all people go to MC for prestige.. some choose to go as they had previous awful experiences from start to finish in the public hospitals..

I do agree with you on one thing.. the domino, and early transfer schemes are super.. the community midwives, if u are lucky enough to live in the catchment area, are just fantastic..

gets on my wick when people slate mount carmel, guarantee u if u have one birth there, you wont go back to any other hospitals for subsequent births.... like all hospitals bad happens as well as good..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    Terpsichore - where have you sourced your information for - that MC cannot cope in emergency situations... Load of rubbish.. they have a special care baby unit... should a woman go into labour before 32wks then yes, they will refer her on to NMH!
    Just as some other hospitals have to transfer to Holles st, cavan, cork, but to name a few.........

Hang on you have just answered the question. If they have a situation they cannot cope with they have to transfer to Holles Street therefore Mount Carmel cannot cope with all emergency situations.

That is what you said above yes?
    I had first in Holles st and second in MC, and NO not for prestige BUT for the peace of mind that knowing that I would not be sharing a cubicle with another stranger whilst on the journey to the most private & special journey in my life - labour/delivery/birth - nah sorry, I wasnt too comfortable with knowing that I may share my birthing room with a complete stranger.... and then there is the spotless en suites that you get, rather than the queuing outside a bathroom awaiting to go to the loo, or use the shower....
    So basically you did not want to share with the proles when you gave birth. I'm sorry but to be honest I do think its sounds like you do want the prestigous birth and not one with the common masses.

and also the luxury of having my baby taken to the nursery each night to allow me to sleep - yes bad mammy that I am I didnt want to practice "rooming in" but i can tell you it stood to me on my exit from MC....
    Well based on the anti-natal classes I went to with my wife I and she are far more comfortable with having the baby with her. Then again its our first child we may get a little tired with the second one ;)
    Then there is the ultimate one to one treatment you get from every single staff member..
    Yes its crazy money.. but if you choose to go private in one of the public hospitals its just as crazy...
    not all people go to MC for prestige.. some choose to go as they had previous awful experiences from start to finish in the public hospitals..
    TBH I guarantee that you will have mothers who have bad experiences in every hospital as well as the majority who have had brilliant experiences giving birth wherever it happened.
    I do agree with you on one thing.. the domino, and early transfer schemes are super.. the community midwives, if u are lucky enough to live in the catchment area, are just fantastic..
    Yes they seem to be alright. Any of the midwives I have had interaction with have been brilliant.
    gets on my wick when people slate mount carmel, guarantee u if u have one birth there, you wont go back to any other hospitals for subsequent births.... like all hospitals bad happens as well as good..
    Then you are saying people could have a bad experience in Mount Carmel, I guarantee that they wouldn't return especially after dropping a big pile of cash for that bad experience ;)

Well all I know is that those people in my peer group who have given birth in Mount Carmel do emphasise the fact like it is some kind of status symbol trying to maintain that they are better than others. Then again if I have just dropped a fortune on giving birth there I might feel compelled to do the same.

Tbh we would much prefer to hold onto our cash so we can enjoy a no holds barred pampering holiday away from the clinical environment of a hospital because no matter how hard you try and package it thats all that Mount Carmel is.

Do you know what I think - yes many go for prestige, but there are MANY more who dont - and so many people slate the place, people have a bee in their bonnet about MC and towards people who attend there! It is absolutely ridiculous... each to their own..

"proles" "common masses" - your words - what are proles??
    No I had my first in a public hospital, not a very pleasant experience, so no I would not return, as I explained sharing a cubicle with strangers during the most intimate and private journey in your life - no thanks!

I would be back to MC in a flash if I were ever to have another child..
    I am a student Midwife.. and not in MC..

It is a truly wonderful hospital and worth every penny..
    U choose to spend your cash on a holiday, well personally having a baby to me was the most important and precious time in my life - so I would have given up that fancy holiday in order to have wonderful memories of my childs birth...

AGAIN, it is just as much money to go private in one of the regular Maternity hospitals as it is to go to MC

So many people have a bee in their bonnet about MC!!

Dear OP, I would like to offer you my apologies for not having the actual feedback you are looking for about Mount Carmel. I am sorry that this thread has turned into what can be another thread in itself altogether…

It doesn’t help to get confused and contradicting opinions from other participants.
    My opinion about Mount Carmel comes from word of mouth, which is always very strong. This subject does awake passions!

I come from a country where nobody needs to fork out any amount of money to be alone in their bedrooms after giving birth. The concept of a medical ward is completely remote in time and can only be seen in historical movies… Such is the system in Ireland and we all have to deal with what is on offer within our own means.

At first I wanted to avail of the Early Transfer Home system, but as I’m not within the catchment area, I will share the ward.

After much consideration and discussions with other mums or mums to be, I have grown comfortable with the idea of being in a ward. I will not feel isolated and I will have – hopefully! - a great network of other women around me, for support, tips and camaraderie and whatever else this great human experience will bring my way! Hopefully no grumpy women who didn’t make it to private care… Please!!!!

Finally, I am absolutely comfortable with having to hold going to the toilets for a few minutes in the knowledge that my money has been wisely spent somewhere else.
    Oops sorry, going down that road again…

I’ll leave it at this an hope you will get the information you’re looking for.

It doesn’t help to get confused and contradicting opinions from other participants.
    My opinion about Mount Carmel comes from word of mouth, which is always very strong. This subject does awake passions!

Yes but you see, the negative "word of mouth" comments about MC intend to come from folk who have never as much as entered the doors of Mount Carmel!

Word of Mouth is generally "very strong" when the information is coming form the horses mouth!! Not from people who know very little about a place

I've been in the hospital and so has Terpsichore and we have both given our opinions.

Classact wrote: »

Thanks

Indeed you have but if you read op's post she is looking to hear from first time mothers who attended MC hospital!!!!!!!! So can you give tell her about your experience of labour and childbirth in MC????

• Advertisement

There is no need to get snippy, and we don't limit replies to such narrow critea in the forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Childbirth is a natural process (any place will do) unless there are difficulities.

The best ones are hospitals which treat the most difficult cases (or where pregnant mothers are referred if there is problem. This is where the best knowledge & experience is and if anything goes wrong at the last minute.

If one wants to spend money needlessly then MC can fulfill this quest.
    Look at what is provided then evidence the valaditation of the service.

To list just one example where one may ask if this ethical albeit for financial reasons. MC charges for PND check before discharge (6 hours - 14 days!!!) when any concerned family member, neighbour or friend could download the questionnaire and ensure the mothers GP sees the result of the tick list within the recommended timeframe.

PND = post natal depression. (Cox 1970.) is a check routinely provided to every mother after every birth in the UK. It is unreliable unless completed at 6-8 weeks. If a problem is identified the mother is referred to the GP, and the PND checklist is repeated and followed up as necessary.

Billiejo wrote: »
    Childbirth is a natural process (any place will do) unless there are difficulities.

The best ones are hospitals which treat the most difficult cases (or where pregnant mothers are referred if there is problem. This is where the best knowledge & experience is and if anything goes wrong at the last minute.

If one wants to spend money needlessly then MC can fulfill this quest.
    Look at what is provided then evidence the valaditation of the service.

Obvioulsy op is considering spending this money if she is looking for advise from other mothers who have laboured there in the past, have you??

To list just one example where one may ask if this ethical albeit for financial reasons. MC charges for PND check before discharge (6 hours - 14 days!!!) when any concerned family member, neighbour or friend could download the questionnaire and ensure the mothers GP sees the result of the tick list within the recommended timeframe.

I had my daughter in MC in 2006 - and NEVER had a PND check done at 6hrs -14 days

PND = post natal depression. (Cox 1970.) is a check routinely provided to every mother after every birth in the UK. It is unreliable unless completed at 6-8 weeks. If a problem is identified the mother is referred to the GP, and the PND checklist is repeated and followed up as necessary.

I had my check up at 6 weeks and 2 days - and never paid for it

The OP is looking for information from people who have had previous labours/births in MC..
    If someone came on looking for information from people who bought a ford car in a ford garage - would you give your input? I know I wouldnt, as I would be unable to provide accurate information regarding buying a ford car from a ford garage, as I never have

I think people who have not had a baby in MC, but are going on word of mouth, cannot really publically comment on how "bad" mc is, or how the people to attend do so for "prestige"

As regards forking out the cash - if one wants to do so - then that is their business

So how was your birth in Mount Carmel?
    Mine was truly wonderful and worth every prestigious penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mustang23

This amount still make me feel really uncomfortable. Am I the only one??

Possibly most idiotic comment on this topic I have ever come across.:eek:
    Do you think that nurses/consultants in public hospital provide this service for free and out of the goodness of their hearts? It costs just as much in the public system but the different is that private patients pay for it out of their own pockets whereas public patients put their hands in the taxpayer's pockets! Odd how THAT doesnt seem to make you uncomfortable? :rolleyes:

Please keep posts civil.

Most public patients are tax payers and if people going private want to pay twice then thats thier look out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

mumtoe&e wrote: »
    "proles" "common masses" - your words - what are proles??

Ordinary working class people are referred to as the 'proletariat'. Proles is short for this and comes from Orwell's 1984.
    mustang23 wrote: »
    Do you think that nurses/consultants in public hospital provide this service for free and out of the goodness of their hearts? It costs just as much in the public system but the different is that private patients pay for it out of their own pockets whereas public patients put their hands in the taxpayer's pockets!

I can't believe I'm reading this! Are you seriously dressing up opting for private care as some morally superior choice? Unbelievable! So people who go private are selfless and patriotic, while the rest of us are mere leeches on the system?:mad:

I am a taxpayer, I also have health insurance. However, I have opted for public care. I have paid my taxes in a country where healthcare is supposed to be covered. I have made my contribution and I certainly don't feel guilty for not paying for something that is "free".

I have confidence in my local hospital, it's close and convenient and has fabulous new labour suites. My GP has scanned me at every visit and I see a consultant in the hospital - which one? I don't care, so long as they know their stuff. My mother and colleagues sing the praises of the camaraderie in the public ward and hopefully, I'm only going to be there for 3 days anyway, I'm not expecting a hotel stay or a fabulous rest. Sure, I've had to wait in a crowded waiting room with the great unwashed, but this hasn't bugged me enough to want to fork out thousands.

However, this is me, I've never had any medical complications (fingers crossed) and my pregnancy has been textbook so far (I'm 39+5). If I had had miscarriages, a previous bad experience in the public system or was in Dublin, I would maybe have made a different decision.

I wouldn't normally comment on the whole public/private debate, but that comment has incensed me!

Sorry OP, still not your expected feedback! What a question you’ve asked!! You might have seen, but another thread I have posted cannot gather any negative or bad feedback. So it’s looking really good for you!

Here is something that is going to keep my maternity leave busy in research: Childbirth charges through History.
    How much Mrs Neanderthal got charged? How much Mrs Medieval got charged? How much my parents got charged? How much do they charge in the UK? And in France? etc...
    How much does a woman in Mumbai slum get charged nowadays? What?? Nothing??? Are you sure?? And in some African countries, it's free too?? Are you sure?

Gosh maybe we're too gullible!! We’re told: this is the price, and we pay it!

Waow!! I never considered my giving birth experience as some type of tax refunds!! Absolutely incredible what the Irish government can do for its people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 East97th

I'm continually fascinated by the reactions MC generates!! Even moderators struggle to be moderate!!! This thread seems to have ground to a halt due to difficulty de-ciphering the last post. I might try to give a fether's perspective based on my wife having used MC for our three children. We chose it due to location & based on positive recommendations. Not being from the area, prestige not an issue as few of our friends & family would have a clue at to who or what MC is. And I'm pretty sure we're proles ourselves:-() Seems to be 2 main (rational issues). First as regards experience, my wife (& I!) found it superb. No waiting, excellent rooms, fantastic staff - basically a really pleasant experience. Second is cost. Basically consultant is €3K & stay in MC is €3K (you pay extra if you choose to have baby in nursery overnight, I think around €90 a night). VHI covers the €3K in MC. The specialist fee is tax deductable so (at 42%) so you get ball-park €6K of care for €2K. I pay taxes, I pay health insurance - this is why, so no moralising please. We've had snide little comments about 'Hotel Mount Carmel'. Is a little comfort at child-birth a bad thing? Not for my wife.

East97th if you have an issue with a post report it.
    If you have an issue with any of the most actions then you can pm the mod or any of the other mods of the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

East97th wrote: »
    The specialist fee is tax deductable so (at 42%) so you get ball-park €6K of care for €2K.

Not anymore, health expenses are only deductible at the standard rate (20%) since 2009.

Advertisement