Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Increasing GVW on Ford Transit

• 29-03-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Have found a camper that suits our family of 5 but have concerns re GVW and remaining payload. Van is on a new Ford Transit 3500Kg GVW with twin wheel rear axle.

Problem is that there is only 350kg available for all passengers plus holiday gear as the ULW is 3150Kg.

Have read that GVW can be upped to 3850Kg in UK but can this be done in Ireland?

Article below from UK Practical Motorhome Magazine

http://www.svtech.co.uk/articles/watchingyourweight.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭vinniem

Hi Dfbemt, I also have a Tranny on 3850kg chassis which does give plenty of payload. If you decide to upgarde springs/suspension to 3850kg, just be sure you have a C or min C1 licence first as anything with GWV over 3500kg requires min C1.

Hello again, sorry just opened your link and see that you are aware of the weight versus licence issue...but be aware this pre 1997 rule is for UK licence holders only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Thanks V

Have C license so no issue there. Article seems to show the process as being fairly easy in UK but what about over here.

Do I need mechanical adjustments ie air suspension?

Somebody must know

There is a company called ALKO (think this one might be UK only) anyway here is the link http://www.al-ko.co.uk/chassis-general.htm Good luck with it, hope you find someone in Ireland to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaMagooster

vinniem wrote: »
    There is a company called ALKO (think this one might be UK only) anyway here is the link http://www.al-ko.co.uk/chassis-general.htm Good luck with it, hope you find someone in Ireland to do this.

There is a company called Drive-Rite in Dublin that fit and supply air suspension to all makes of vehicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

There is a company called Drive-Rite in Dublin that fit and supply air suspension to all makes of vehicles.

DaMagooster
    Are you connected with Drive-Rite or just a happy customer? Your last three posts are promoting the above company.

stapeler wrote: »
    DaMagooster
    Are you connected with Drive-Rite or just a happy customer? Your last three posts are promoting the above company.

J**us I sound like a loser now ha! No not connected to them. I was snooping around a bit and saw the same problem popping up. Took me ages to locate someone a few years back..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

J**us I sound like a loser now ha! No not connected to them. I was snooping around a bit and saw the same problem popping up. Took me ages to locate someone a few years back..

Cheers for that, I was just checking as we get all sorts of referrals on here.
    Apologies for coming across as a _____ ;)

Not to worry :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

vinniem wrote: »
    Hello again, sorry just opened your link and see that you are aware of the weight versus licence issue...but be aware this pre 1997 rule is for UK licence holders only.

The rule also applies here if you passed the driving test before the current categories came info force (about the same time).

SVTech are recognised here by the RSA as a competent authority to issue revised GVW and Axle weights. The documentation and revised weights plate will be accepted at roadworthiness test and at Shannon for a revised reg. cert. (log book).

SVTech are very helpful and will give you a 'heads up' on what can be done if you give them a call, just remember to have all your make/model details to hand, you will need the exact model of the Transit base you have.

• Advertisement
Advertisement