Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which type of milk do you prefer and why?

• 29-03-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭

I currently drink soymilk, but I'm thinking about switching to almond milk. Does anyone know where I can buy good quality almond milk in Dublin?

Which type of milk do you prefer? 23 votes

Soy milk
    0% 0 votes
    Almond milk
    73% 17 votes
    Rice milk
    17% 4 votes
    Oat milk
    8% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I'm going to have to pimp my favourite milk and add oat milk to that poll :D I've only ever seen the EcoMil Almond milk... I think. You can buy it in powdered form, from what I remember. Have you tried making your own almond milk before? I hear it's not too hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Of those listed i've only tasted soy and almond...with almond having the nicer flavour...then again i dont really drink it that often since i like dairy products:)

My favorite milk is unsweetened soya, the whole household chez Moonbaby agrees with me.
    Dairy is now referred to as Cat's milk around these parts.

I find oat and rice milk too sweet.
    I have never tried almond.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

I had one forgettable experience with rice milk when I was a kid - nothing major, I just tasted some and thought it was horrible. Soy milk has actually been the only milk I've bought, which now seems really unadventurous so I'll be sure to sample the others soon. Then I can vote in the poll :D

If they don't add B12 to any of the other milks then I'll probably stick with soy, it's just handy to know that I've got some sitting in the fridge.

I drink an oatmilk that is enriched with vitamins (inc. B12) and calcium ('Oatly Enriched'). It is cheaper than the original Oatly, but still pricey enough, €2.20 or something per carton. If you have breakfast cereals, remember you'd be getting B12 there too.

• Advertisement

I drink an oatmilk that is enriched with vitamins (inc. B12) and calcium ('Oatly Enriched'). It is cheaper than the original Oatly, but still pricey enough, €2.20 or something per carton. If you have breakfast cereals, remember you'd be getting B12 there too.

Cool, I'll check the Health Food Store for Oatly Enriched tomorrow. I only occasionally have cereal these days, I usually go for a fruit salad or spaghetti so the odd glass of milk is necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I'm drinking soy milk. I tried rice and almond. Rice was too sweet and icky and I didn't like the taste of almond.

Where sells the Enriched variety? I've seen the original, but never enriched.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Where sells the Enriched variety? I've seen the original, but never enriched.
    I get it in my local health food store in Dun Laoghaire and Holland and Barrett. It seems to be sold in all Holland and Barrett stores :)

My local Health Store only has the original, but I bought it and I'd probably give it the nod over Alpro soy milk. However, I'll probably still end up using soy milk regularly seeing as it's in the local supermarkets with all its added goodness.. how lazy! I should actually check Health Matters on the main street before I go making any final decisions.

Just almond milk left to try :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭actua11

I've gone soy but depends really what the use is. On it's own in a glass I much prefare rice but if I'm mixing milk with something else like cereal, soy works much better. Must go and give oat a go now!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 bnick

I agree with rice milk being too sweet. Soy milk is my preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I use oatmilk, mainly because it's ridiculously cheap and easy to make it myself. I never drink milk though, never have done really, I just use it in baking. I'm not that bothered about the taste for this reason.

Oh, and I made almond milk once before and it tasted alright. It's pretty easy but you'd need either a really good blender or a really fine sieve to get all the bits out!

Oh, and I made almond milk once before and it tasted alright. It's pretty easy but you'd need either a really good blender or a really fine sieve to get all the bits out!

I make oatmilk myself but have never tried to make almond milk. It is just a matter of almonds + mixer and sieve out bits? Do you add any vanilla or anything?

I think I put a teaspoon of vanilla in it. Also, if the almonds are unblanched you have to soak them for a while in hot water and peel all the skins off. I think I used ground almonds to make things easier :p They have to be soaked for a while to be softened up either way.
    I couldn't get all the bits out so it was a nutty milk. It had a very rich flavour that you could get sick of pretty quick I'd say but I was using it in pudding and it worked pretty well.

Oh, so you'd generally saok them anyhow? Overnight? I do have to try this!

I'm not sure if the soaking is compulsory actually... I just did it for some reason! And yeah, I left them overnight.

There's a no-soak recipe for almond milk (and some other milks) here

It's a bit down the page. I think I did some variation of that recipe.

Thanks Donnie :) I'll give it a shot.

I was told today that Oatly milk is not vegan! This thread says the same http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?p=267375 .

Apparently the vitamin D3 comes from sheep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

I normally drink Oatly, but somehow an ingredient derived from "sheep’s wool fat" doesn't sound too appetising .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Alpro for me, the fresh one from the fridge is my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Very late reply here... I hate cow's milk by itself so I drink almond or rice milk. Oat milk is yummy though. Soy milk.. depends on the brand. It's fine for cooking.
    Oh, so you'd generally saok them anyhow? Overnight? I do have to try this!

You can make almond milk without soaking, but it's not as nice. Generally I'd soak some blanched almonds overnight in cold water. Then drain and rinse, blend. Cheesecloth, or veeery fine sieve, sieve the whole thing. You can save the pulp and use it for baking or whatever. I'd normally add a few drops of good vanilla extract. Tastes great ;)
    Some people add a tsp of sugar but I find that you don't really need it.

StevoTG wrote: »
    I was told today that Oatly milk is not vegan! This thread says the same http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?p=267375 .

Apparently the vitamin D3 comes from sheep.

HOLD UP!!! I missed this when you posted it. *cries*
    Now to email Oatly and let them know that I am not a happy bunny...
    You can make almond milk without soaking, but it's not as nice. Generally I'd soak some blanched almonds overnight in cold water. Then drain and rinse, blend. Cheesecloth, or veeery fine sieve, sieve the whole thing. You can save the pulp and use it for baking or whatever. I'd normally add a few drops of good vanilla extract. Tastes great ;)
    Some people add a tsp of sugar but I find that you don't really need it.
    Thanks for the tips anothernight. I bought the almonds but haven't got around to trying it yet.

Right, I've just emailed them. I had a look at the Oatly enriched packaging and it says nothing about this D2 or D3 lark. Hmmmm...

Here's hoping for a surprisingly positive response! Does the packaging just state that it contains vitamin D? Maybe they don't have to be any more specific than that.

Yeah, just "Vitamin D" in the ingredients list.

No reply from Oatly yet. Just wanted to mention something my sister pointed out - what about 'Tesco Soya, alternative to dairy milk, with added calcium and vitamins, sweetened'? It lists 'Vitamin D' in the ingredients list. And it says "Suitable for vegans". Now, this isn't vegan socitey approved, so we are taking their word for it. Do we know what their source of vitamin D is?

I got a reply today. No optimism with this...
    Thank you for your email. We are sorry that you feel disappointed. It is correct we are using vitamin D3 in our enriched products. At the moment this is what the Swedish FDA recommend to use in enriched products. Clinical studies have shown that D3 is better absorbed in the body than D2. We follow this recommendation since a large group of our consumers are children who cannot tolerate milk and need to find a alternative source of vitamin D.

For your information we have two products on the UK market which are suitable for vegans. That is Oatly Healthy oat Organic and Oatly Healthy oat alternative to cream.

If you have more questions or comments do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards
    Anna Persson, Oatly AB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

So sounds like they've no intention of making it vegan...

Yeah, sounds as though their only concern is folks who are lactose intolerant.

I actually gave rice milk a go recently and I prefer it to soy milk, so it got my vote, though I now alternate between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

StevoTG wrote: »
    I actually gave rice milk a go recently and I prefer it to soy milk, so it got my vote, though I now alternate between the two.

Pretty much the same here, although I'd already voted Soya:(

I got provamel rice milk a couple of weeks ago and it was delicious on cereal. Bit sweet but I think it's nicer than soya milk. To me, sometimes soya milk tastes a little like clay and water mixed together.

Advertisement