Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest gun you have ever used

Options
  • 29-03-2010 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

just wondering whats the nicest rifle or shotgun you have used, doesnt matter how much or whether its a standard or custom gun, personally i reckon the nicest rifle i have used is one of my friends fathers old remy 700 mountain in .270, was a lovely light well balanced rifle with nice grain in the stock, kicked hard enough due to the weight but i just liked the feel of it, he traded it for a sako 75 in .223 that he rebarrelled in .204, havent used it yet but it looks like a cracking rifle and he had great sucess with it this year lamping foxes, can't wait to try it out some time.
    the nicest shotgun i've used is my fathers beretta 686 sporter, bit heavy but i still havent used anything nicer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Nicest gun I ever shot with was a 40 year old Browning B80, it had been used and abused. It was probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen but it just suited me down to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sako75 hunter

Hey, the nicest gun i have ever used is actually the same rifle im using now. Its my 6.5x55 Sako 75 Hunter with wooden stock.:D It had and still has the iron sights attached. I recieved my licence the same day i made my last payment for the rifle. It was the second week in september and it was going to be another month before i had the money paid on the 8x56 Docter scope i was putting on it so unable to hold of i took it out to shoot my first fallow buck with it. Walking down hill beside a wood i remember this is what its all about. No scope, no binoculars, no range finder! All i had was my gun and knife.:). Anyways i spotted a buck right on the edge of the wood i was stalking about 70 yards away and with that i lay on my stomach. Nervous as i had ever being i took a deep breath, held it and pulled the trigger and down he went. Dragging him back i kept thinking wouldnt it be great if we werent so caught up in technology. I no its great with all these new and exciting new riflescopes, rangefinders, binoculars and all sorts that we think we need to hunt these days, but do we really need them. Sorry for ranting on!!!:P:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I've had the privilege of shooting a great many lovely rifles and some lovely shotguns. Some that stand out in my mind are:

A Pedersoli Sharps rolling block in .45-70 Govt. It was a match rifle, about sixteen pounds. Trigger was heavy, about five pounds, but unbelievably crispy. Had nice aperture sights. A very special gun to shoot.

A Savage 10FP in .308 Win. The trigger was the finest tuned thing I've ever seen, as good as Swiss handmade competition rifles, and it was a self-done job. Beautiful work, and 1/4 MOA accurate. Loved that, nearly bought one!

Dwighet's .300 Win Mag, Remington 700 custom, by John Greene. That's a seriously nice bit of work, everything on it just about perfect.

My own two, as I'm afraid I'm biased:

Anschutz 1807L. It's from the best days of Anschutz, by some reckonings, and it certainly is more than capable of perfect scores. Superb barrel on it. I've spent a huge amount of time tuning everything about it to my satisfaction, and apart from upgrades which require additional finances, it's perfect for me at the moment.

My Sako 75 Hunter in .25-06. This has the best trigger of any sporting rifle out there. I'm a fiend for details and fully expected to have to tweak this for my own likings, but it was just perfect, brittle as anything. The rifle fits me superbly, comes straight to the shoulder and points where I'm looking. I love that gun and can't imagine a set of circumstances in the future where I'd be without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭skullzxr

The loaded one, when i went to the bank to withdraw money, i didn't want to fill out the forms....lol

edit: Just adding this for the humourless or confused:
    tom+father+ted.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I can see this getting very interesting !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

nicest gun i have ever held was today.
    up getting ammo for the .223 and had a look at the dealers gun. it was a sig-sauer 202 in .243, everything about it just felt perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭sikastag

One of the nicest would be Krico Model 700 in .243. Nice short action, lovely handling rifle, almost felt like you could shoot woodcock with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

Shot a few that were a a great experience to shoot, not because they're great pieces of engineering admittedly...

M16 - felt like being in Hollywood
    MP5 - see above
    Accuracy International sniper rifle - they were testing at Bisley and gave a few of us a chance at 600 yds from a bench :confused: - it was some new weird calibre which I can't recall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Beretta 302,you could hit thing's without trying.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

H&K MP5. beautiful piece of kit
    Barrett light 50 (twice). first time with S&B which was really nice the second time with leupold which i didnt like. the first time i fired one we used armour peircing incendery tip rounds and had jerry cans of petrol for targets...........deadly crack!!!!!!
    my favourite bolt action is my own. remington 700 in .308 with laminate stock and IOR 6-24 x50 scope with 35mm tube. john greene built it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭sonofthegun

was in mayo at clay grounds over the weekend lad instructer had a browning with him let me use it and OH MY GOD nicest shotgun i have ever held you could feel the quality
    ps it was 10 grand new :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

doyle61 wrote: »
    Barrett light 50
    Jammy git!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

An LG110 air rifle. Only rifle I've ever used that had no recoil. (And I mean none. Absolutely dead when you fired it. Wonderful engineering).

lg110.jpg

There are others which were definitely memorable - jaycee's .308 has perhaps the best trigger I've ever encountered outside of a match gun (and its condition is down purely to the efforts of its owner, who polished the mechanism to near-perfection); the SMLE mk4 that beat the living daylights out of my shoulder at a VCRAI shoot in the midlands last year; Jozef Gonci's P700 in Finland in November, just because it had been used to win so many matches; and my own Anschutz 2002CA, just because at this point the damn thing has been built around me and doesn't really fit anyone else :D
    But the LG110 was the most impressive of the lot I think, just for the exceptional engineering involved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

An FN FAL, 7.62mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

The most memorable was a genuine 7.62 AK47 but the nicest was either a sako 75 or RPA .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

There has been a load of them,but memorable has been a SXS Purdey Royale matched pair for absolutely stupid money.25 grand per gun.
    But the workmanship!!!

Rifles,too many to find a memorable one. The most memorable is a Sauer8x68 s with a Zeiss glass.Shot my first deer with that on the Continent.

Nicest pistol has to be an AMT longslide.45ACP 10ins[?] of stainless steel,topped with mag na ported 10.5in barrel,a .45 that as much recoil as a .22 lr.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Cynergy Feather Composite i want one used one in the states and love it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

1972 Liege built B25 trap gun. Lovely walnut stock, perfect blueing, lovely sense of weight and balance. Also a s/s 12g Saive, another Liege built jobbie. It was the first 12g I ever fired at the age of 9.

Handled and fired a couple of assault weapons and pistols but they're just tools for a job in my books. Sufficiently accurate and very relaible but they don't really push my buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

tomcat220t wrote: »
    The most memorable was a genuine 7.62 AK47 but the nicest was either a sako 75 or RPA .

Fired a Romania made AK 47 in Reds Indoor Range, South Austin Tx Summer 2007, Great craic. Fired a .44Magnum that day too.

I was with a Texas gal who had a drivers licence and that was all I needed.
    $8 for rent of gun's and the 7.62 was like $10 for 40 rounds, but the .44 was $40 for 50 rounds.
    Man did that Dirty Harry kick like a mule, less recoil off the AK :D

I also love my Remmy 105Cti, They get negative press, but for a lefty they are great and they have very little recoil firing 3" Magnums

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Boiled-egg

It is the weapon in use by the finnh Defence forces. It has iorn sights, 30 box mag, Calibre 7.62 x 39 and is spon on accurate.
    Really sweet weapon. you can see from the picture is looks like its neighbour Mr. AK.

• Advertisement

Boiled-egg wrote: »
    It is the weapon in use by the finnh Defence forces. It has iorn sights, 30 box mag, Calibre 7.62 x 39 and is spon on accurate.
    Really sweet weapon. you can see from the picture is looks like its neighbour Mr. AK.

Valment M76.... one of the nicer/better AK based guns

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Feidhlim Dignan

An FN FAL, 7.62mm

FCA by any chance ?

coolest ive shoot is the steyr AUG, but the nicest shotgun was my uncles beretta silver pigeon

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

i like the two rifles i have since i took up shooting ie a savage 64 and a ruger m77

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Fired a Romania made AK 47 in Reds Indoor Range, South Austin Tx Summer 2007, Great craic. Fired a .44Magnum that day too.

I was with a Texas gal who had a drivers licence and that was all I needed.
    $8 for rent of gun's and the 7.62 was like $10 for 40 rounds, but the .44 was $40 for 50 rounds.
    Man did that Dirty Harry kick like a mule, less recoil off the AK :D

I also love my Remmy 105Cti, They get negative press, but for a lefty they are great and they have very little recoil firing 3" Magnums
    Always wanted to fire an AK and got the chance 3 years ago .Not very accurate but lots of fun :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Nicest rifle believe it or not is my own remmy 700 .223, maybe because I'm so used to I don't knwo to be honest and shotgun was my cousins Brownig O/U
    (not sure of model) but was the sweetest thing to swing and shoot I ever handled...

Origional AK47s are actually quiet rare as they were not as mass produced much to popular belief ( production problems slowed there manufacture with alot of rifles failing "quality control")

What was made in massive numbers though was the AKM due to the break up of the USSR alot of eastern european countries produced there own versions of the AKM along with other communist countries.

Nicest firearm ive shotgun ive fired was a benelli M4.. i really shouldnt have sold that but i wanted another rare shotgun.

I fired a Barret .50 ..... was sweet !
    the HK UMP .40 and the FN P90 are my most memorable but I just love my Enfield build G3..... old school hardcore !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

nicest rifle i have ever shot is my b.s.a martini lever action .22. i have a zos 10-40x56 on it whole lot cost me less than 500 euro. it loves eley team and most memorable shoot is the day i shot 237 out of 250 (not marked by me) best day shooting ever and can easily say i will never sell it.......

tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Speaking of BSAs...

http://10point9.ie/2010/04/04/vickers-bsa-martini-jubilee/

One of the fun things about being in a club that’s been around a while is that some interesting stuff builds up in the historical archives. I’ve an interesting bit or two from the archives to put up on this blog but I thought I’d start with last night’s fun, the Vickers BSA Martini Jubilee.

Vickers1-800x163.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

I was pretty happy with my Sig before I had to get rid of it:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

300px-Submachine_gun_M1928_Thompson.jpg
    this was the most memorable Thompson submachine in las vegas
    but my sako is the sweetest :)

Advertisement