Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Hospitals with relatively low C-Sections

• 29-03-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

If at all possible I would love to avoid a C-Section on my first baby. However, I understand on delivery day, that circumstances may require that I have a C-Section.

The worrying thing for me is that I hear of some maternity hospitals who have a record of a hight amount of C-Sections and I am wondering why this is?

Does anyone know of what maternity hospitals have low C-Section records or what has been your experience.

I would love to hear back on the different maternity hospitals, your experience or if you just are aware of it with different hospitals. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I think all of the Dublin maternity hospitals have a section rate of about 18-20%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Check out AIMS ireland for information on maternity hospitals. Personally I wanted a section and chose a hospital with one of the highest rates of sections. They also had the lowest incidences of forceps births. From memory the Coombe has one of the lowest rates of sections, then Holles street and then Rotunda. The highest was Mount Carmel as you get what you pay for I guess;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

The Rotunda has the highest section rate of the 3 Dublin public hospitals. Sometimes a caesarean is unavoidable but there is quite a lot you can do to avoid an unnecessary one.

NMH has the lowest caesarean rate in the country for a few reasons. They don't routinely induce until 14 days. VBAC (vaginal birth after a cesarean is encouraged) and they have a breech clinic. However there are trade offs for how they will 'offer' to manage your baby's birth (lots of routine intervention to keep you on the timeline). The obstetric unit's section rate (if you go public, semi or private) is around 19 - 20% but if you go with the Community Midwives their section rate is around 10%....

If you are in the catchment area for either the NMH Community Midwives or one of the Midwife Led Units (Drogheda/Cavan) they're your best bet for stacking the deck in your favour of not having a caesarean and reducing unnecessary interruptions to labour.

Tracy

Advertisement