Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub showing 3D matches?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

3D football isn't even in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Saw England v Ireland in 3D and it was ok. Nothing fantastic, as soon as you see it once that's it. The novelty would wear off quite quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

kryogen wrote: »
    I have heard that it isnt that great really for football alright, (despite the marketing campaign) but for something like snooker it would be fantastic i bet!

Basically I think 3D needs "set pieces" to allow your eyes adjust. It would be terrible for hurling because there is too much change. Might be ok for Rugby with the line outs and scrums. For films, only ones where the background scenery is important, like Westerns. I didn't like avatar.

As for darts, how about put a camera in/over the board so it looks like the dart is coming straight at you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Playercam in 3d would be pretty cool too, do they still do player cam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

who wants to wear glasses:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

will the storm samuel l jackson pulp fiction style glasses work for the 3d for the games ?:)

Yes, In-fact the glasses that will be used in Norris' are from Storm,..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ziedth wrote: »
    Playercam in 3d would be pretty cool too, do they still do player cam?
    Would probably be the easiest to do. Not very exciting though because you'd soon realise just how lazy everyone is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

well did anyone get to try it out today,,what ye think :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

well did anyone get to try it out today,,what ye think :)
    burky one of me mates rang me after the match off me brothers phone and said the 3D was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

i was in norrises. i thought it was ****e tbh.
    the only times you would notice it is when the camera is focused on a player like at a corner or throw in, otherwise when the player is going across the screen and is zoomed out you would hardly notice it.
    and you also need to look like a muppet with them glasses:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭burkey85

Clano wrote: »
    i was in norrises. i thought it was ****e tbh.
    the only times you would notice it is when the camera is focused on a player like at a corner or throw in, otherwise when the player is going across the screen and is zoomed out you would hardly notice it.
    and you also need to look like a muppet with them glasses:p

X 2, Was up in Norris' myself, close ups look well cool but other than that the picture is just clearer.
    Aswell as that the corners of the screen were very blurry.

I'd say boxing or horse racing would be good in the 3d

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Boxing would def be better,

like what has been said long sweeping games like pitch games prob won't suit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

ziedth wrote: »
    Boxing would def be better,

like what has been said long sweeping games like pitch games prob won't suit it.

Sky showed some excellent clips before the game yesterday. a bit of Rugby, tennis, boxing -
    looked good -
    its something different to add an edge to your home viewing
    some loved it - some were not bothered

I think all this 3D TV is just a novelty and will just die out.

I can see a market for 3D games with big ass TV's but I mean are you going to watch X Factor in 3D? The Simpsons in 3D? Films will take off but I think you will only get the expected experience in a cinema, with a very large screen.

I don't think you will achieve the same experience in your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I watched a bit of the match in 3D before watching the majority of it in 2D. For me there are a few problems with it.

1. There is one main camera that looks across the pitch. Then there are some cameras by both goals to look down the pitch. But the view stays on the main crossfield camera and only uses the goal cameras for replays.

2. The main camera angle is quite flat (low down), obviously to give the 3D more depth.

Both these problems result in not being able to see what's going on on the far side of the pitch clearly. There are no zoomed in shots during play. Only a few for replays.

The last problem was that the 3D match had a 4 second delay. In a pub with multiple TVs I could see what was going to happen in the corner of my eye before it happened on the TV I was watching.

So to sum it all up 3D football has promise. But only if you're very close to the TV and they add a few more camera angles. For now I'll stick to 2D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I think 3D TV is being a bit rushed onto the market, when its not really perfected yet - both by broadcasters and TV manufacturers.

As I understand it, the current type of 3D TV is compatible with existing TVs - but they will have to be good quality ones to get the benefit, and many large screens used in pubs are LCDs (as they're the cheapest) and large LCD screens are horrible quality.

The artifacts they show will mess up the 3D effect to an extent.

If the screen is an HD Plasma, then it may work OK. But as I say the broadcasters are still learning how best to do it too.

I really hate the idea of having to watch a 3D programme with silly glasses on. The trickery involved really causes the eyes to behave unnaturally - there is no depth of vision really, but it looks as if there is so the eyes try to focus on things at different depths only to find that the focussing doesn't work.

I've seen 3D TV which doesn't need glasses - THAT was impressive. It was like looking through a window.

Again the technology isn't good enough yet, though.

Andy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

alinton wrote: »
    As I understand it, the current type of 3D TV is compatible with existing TVs - but they will have to be good quality ones to get the benefit, and many large screens used in pubs are LCDs (as they're the cheapest) and large LCD screens are horrible quality

Andy.

3-D requires new 3-d ready tv's, HD is not good enough -
    and i agree - for soccer - more work needs to be dont for more close up shots - the long shots of the pitch just dont do it

foxylad2 wrote: »
    3-D requires new 3-d ready tv's, HD is not good enough

Whats the difference?............................. it's all just a digital signal anyway, I can't imagine a 3D telly being any better than a high end HD telly, and I believe high end HD tellys are capable of 3D

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Whats the difference?............................. it's all just a digital signal anyway, I can't imagine a 3D telly being any better than a high end HD telly, and I believe high end HD tellys are capable of 3D

Its not just signal. You need to polarise light differently for each eye. Only special TVs can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

dayshah wrote: »
    Its not just signal. You need to polarise light differently for each eye. Only special TVs can do that.

Correct. Passive 3DTV works by alternating between two pictures at a very high frequency (faster than the eye can detect, so it sees two pictures on screen), polarising each picture differently and wearing standard polarised glasses that will seperate the two pictures into one per eye.

While most HDTVs are probably capable of switching between the two pictures required for each eye at the high frequency needed, a polarising filter would need to be fitted over the screen that will work at that same frequency, to keep only one picture going to each eye.

Now it may be possible in the future to buy some sort of polarising add-on that could be fitted to your existing TV. But by then it might just be cheaper to buy a whole new set.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,644 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I work in the Cinema and would think that it would be a good benift for both the company and the public if we would allow a football or a rugby game to be shown in 3d in 1 of our 3d screens in the near future. I would imagine with the projection technology we have we could easily do it.

The only problem with this would be the A word. Many people would perfer a beer or two while watching the game but were not a pub or anything close to it lol.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I work in the Cinema and would think that it would be a good benift for both the company and the public if we would allow a football or a rugby game to be shown in 3d in 1 of our 3d screens in the near future. I would imagine with the projection technology we have we could easily do it.

The only problem with this would be the A word. Many people would perfer a beer or two while watching the game but were not a pub or anything close to it lol.

Yeah i was thinking this especially with the world cup coming up, 3 games a day for nearly a month!!! yed make a killing!!! alcohol would be a stumbling bloke as you rightly said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

PTH2009 wrote: »

This country is backwards, you can drink in German cinemas, could a Pub lease out or transfer their licence just for a day?

Clano wrote: »
    Yeah i was thinking this especially with the world cup coming up, 3 games a day for nearly a month!!! yed make a killing!!! alcohol would be a stumbling bloke as you rightly said

Would you pay money to go watch a match in " 3D " where you can't drink in a cinema? Where you can go to a pub, (for free) and get drink at ease?

3D football is a novelty that will die off soon,

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    Would you pay money to go watch a match in " 3D " where you can't drink in a cinema? Where you can go to a pub, (for free) and get drink at ease?

3D football is a novelty that will die off soon,

I prob would for one or two games especially the earlier games as for the group games anyway there will be morning, afternoon and nitetime games. So maybe for some morning and afternoon games.

Thats why i said for the world cup because thats were the "novelty" would be most useful i doubt many people would watch anything else there

Tomk1 wrote: »
    This country is backwards, you can drink in German cinemas, could a Pub lease out or transfer their licence just for a day?

Given the price they charge for orange and coke, they'd probably want €10 for a pint.

Advertisement