Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cars with useless spec info on the back

• 29-03-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭

More a thing from the 90s but it is something that always irritiated me.

Why did so many ****ty hatchbacks feel the need to advertise mundane details about their spec and engine size in silver letters at the back.

'ABS'
    'Air Con'
    '1.1'

Seems such an odd thing to do. I'm all for debadged cars, what benefit is it to tell people the car is a 523 or a 525? The worst now is the littel smug 'eco' tag some newer cars have added.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

back in the 90's ABS was a rare thing, companies like Renault putted stickers on the back of cars fitted with it. Nissan did it on the Primera Invitation back in the very early 90s. I'm guessing it's a way of getting potential customers to see it on cars on the road and instill in them the idea that they were safe.
    Also, if fitted to limited editions, it was a way of showing that the car had something that couldn't be seen or touched.

Also, if older versions didn't have the feature, it's a way of telling drivers of older models that the newer ones have a particular feature.

I've seen things like 5 Speed Gearbox (Suzuki) and Dual airbags (Daewoo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I've seen things like 5 Speed Gearbox (Suzuki) and Dual airbags (Daewoo)

Ha, such a thing to shout out to the world. I'd like see a car that listed every single piece of spec down the back of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I like knowing what's in front of me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

back in the 90's ABS was a rare thing, companies like Renault putted stickers on the back of cars fitted with it.

Only for the poor Colm. They put it on the Laguna but discerning Safrane drivers ike me had everything without the fancy-dan advertising :)

(they actualy did put it on some low spec Safranes too, dont tell anyone, but those people were pretending to have money :-) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They must have had deep pockets considering the depreciation of the Safrane :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

i was driving behind a Lancer the other day, new model, and the dealer had attached a badge of their logo beside whatever was there already... it looked absolutely hideous and i cant believe that people buy cars there! cant remember the name of the place now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I saw a Ssangyong Rexton with a badge on the back declaring "powered by Mercedez":rolleyes:

The air con badge is just plain stupid - I've seen a few newer cars with it, the sad thing is that it's probably just a badge, like a "Type R" badge on a micra:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They must have had deep pockets considering the depreciation of the Safrane :)

There was one owner on mine before I got it, a current high court judge. It had every extra available on it. One doesnt worry about such things as depreciation.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

The worst now is the littel smug 'eco' tag some newer cars have added.

Ahem, I'll get around to removing it when I remove the dealer sticker from the window, I swear :p
    TheColl wrote: »
    i was driving behind a Lancer the other day, new model, and the dealer had attached a badge of their logo beside whatever was there already... it looked absolutely hideous and i cant believe that people buy cars there! cant remember the name of the place now.

That would be Westbrook motors, I don't understand why they're still doing it after all these years. First time I saw it I initially thought it was some form of design house trim but it is an awful badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

Seems such an odd thing to do. I'm all for debadged cars, what benefit is it to tell people the car is a 523 or a 525?

so you know that the person that bought the 523i is mentally retarded.why pay the same road tax and have less power?(dont drive to close to them)

im all for de badgeing 520d's etc,your basically saying you cant afford a 530d,only enthusiast can tell then:)

not so bad if its a factory badge,but ive seen an audi a4 with an ///MPOWER badge:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

16v is one that you used to see all the time. Something akin to having "4 wheels" written on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Ha, such a thing to shout out to the world. I'd like see a car that listed every single piece of spec down the back of it.

dual airbags in a daewoo is 8 series stuff for them:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I once saw a micra with a "sport" badge on it :rolleyes::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Er, there are Micra Sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

For me it really depends on who put the badge there.

I guess some of the cars come from the factory like that, but sometimes it's a local decision. For the distributors I reckon Colm's right, it's really a marketing thing.
    I remember Mazda Ireland made the decision on the 626 to put an Air Conditioning badge on the back of the car. MDL bought the badges and stuck them on themselves. It made sense then because the competitor's cars didn't have A/C as standard.

The badge on the back of the car has always had a magical power - especially in the company car carpark. If you're driving an LX and the other guy's in a GLX, he must be better at his job (or more senior) than you. Manufacturers pander to that.

I do think that that's different that people putting badges on their own cars - I definitely find that to be very weird...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

5 vitesses on the back of a Renault (18?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

Jip wrote: »
    Ahem, I'll get around to removing it when I remove the dealer sticker from the window, I swear :p

That would be Westbrook motors, I don't understand why they're still doing it after all these years. First time I saw it I initially thought it was some form of design house trim but it is an awful badge.

That's the one! Horrible looking thing, and it actually looked to be fading to me, even though the car was less than a year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Esmonde Motors do a horrible stick on badge too, Cogans in Cork used to do them at one stage.

Dealers get cheeky anyway, latest trend is large (3 inch high) letting with their website the entire way across your rear windscreen. One dealer in Cork is notorious for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I kinda like the "2.0" TDI on the back of my Passat - sets it apart from 99% of the others I see that are the basic 1.9's :D

All that's missing is a nice "DSG" logo if I were that way inclined!

(EDIT: Oh and the first thing I do when I've gotten a new car is remove any dealer stickers from the windows - they're generally placed right where you need to be looking in the rear-view mirror anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not quite the same thing but I saw a BMW 316 the other day with a 'treasured' reg: 07-X-316. I mean, would you really want to advertise the fact you bought a Paddy special?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭bog master

Very simple if you dont like dealer badges on your new car!

Make it plain when buying it you dont want it or.......

Demand a few hundred euros off for advertising!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

media?id=9735329&width=400&height=300

That westbrook motors one isn't very appealing.. it's a bit invasive imo.

Luckily I've nothing on mine except 'Accord'. Plain and simple.. don't like the look of overcroded badges :)

Advertisement