Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite trees in garden or along driveway

Options
  • 29-03-2010 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

I am looking for recommendations for trees to sow in my garden. At moment I have about 1acre of just green grass and the small field has a perimerter of low evergreen hedging all around but I have a huge space of grass elsewhere and some of my hedging has some gaps in 1 or two corners.

I have a small stone wall up along a slightly curved drive.

I am looking for ideas for two areas in my garden

(1)
    I would like ideas for some trees to sow in little grove area (triangular shape maybe) to one or two of the corners. I would like some colourful trees aswell as greens to add variety and great appearance e.g. maple, golden train, cherry or Avondale etc.... These are just what I am getting from browsing around on net and in garden centres. I would love to know a good mix of greens and colours that might work. thanks

(2)
    As mentioned above I also have a low stone wall up along each side of drive way which has a slight bend towards the top. I would like to put in a couple of small trees along the drive, but nothing too overcrowding just to set of drive and house nicely. I will also at later date put in 1 or two nice lamps (old fashioned style). I am not sure what type of trees would suit drive, it's not that long. Was thinking of maybe weeping willow but would love some recommendations.

(House is large enough dormer with 2 nice windows upstairs. House is faced with stone)

Thanks for all your help,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

What kind of soil is the site ? Ours is heavy clay and it drastically reduces our choice of trees and shrubs.

We have planted Kilmarnock Willow( hangs downwards), Crab apple, Guilder rose, have taken a chance with several Birch, and a couple of Magnolia in a seperately prepared area.

If we had a free draining site our choice would be an awful lot better.

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭wewantchilly

again depending on soil conditions, light levels and wind factors, can't go wrong with some Acer palmatum cultivars, generally slow growing but have some decent colouring throughout the year, hold their leaves well and tend to be quite small if the right ones are picked, eg 'Sango-Kaku'
    or 'Beni Otake'
    Might be waiting a while though if you are going to sow them, would advise you find a decent nursery with some nice 2-3 year old saplings.
    these trees go very well with certain conifers as well, but it would be personal taste that will dictate what kind of colour scheme you are after, advise contrasting the stonework on the house with majority of planting, then complement with one-off plants of a similar colour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

I think birch trees would be very beautiful and graceful for your little triangular grove area. I'd be planting a few myself if I'd any space left! :)

Also I have a white cherry blossom tree in my garden. It blooms in late spring/early summer. It isn't the sort that has the blooms evenly distributed all over the tree, but rather the blossom grows in great big tumbling bunches that hang down from the boughes and the display is really really georgeous. It's only a baby tree as yet and it's lovely as it is so I can't wait to see it a few years from now. I think a row of those trees would make a breathtaking display lined up along a driveway.

Oh by the way I forgot to mention that the white cherry blossom trees I'm talking about only grow to ten foot tall, so they wouldn't end up taking over your driveway. I have the original packaging at home so I will stick it in my handbag this evening just in case you are interested to know the exact name of that variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

I love silver birch against an evergreen hedge, very striking in winter

Personally I'm a fan of fruiting trees, apple, pear, plum, cherry. They offer flower in spring and fruit in autumn.

However there is a crab apple i particularly like, Malus Gorgeous, white spring flower and fruits heavily with intense red crab apples.

Holly, Hawthorn, Blackthorn and mountain Ash for small natives which keep the birds happy over the winter and great as a stock-proof hedge if your wall is too low.

Almost forgot, best autumn colour ever is the Cornus "Kousa" knocks the liquid amber into a cocked hat in my opinion

Alternatively one Walnut in the middle of the garden ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

my favourites are :
    Acer Sango-kaku - Coral Bark Maple - this has a beautiful pink bark - like a flamingos legs
    Davidia involucrata - Handkerchief Tree, Dove tree
    Parrotia persica - Persian Ironwood

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sparky100

Thanks everyone for all those replies, I've quite a few to go and research in to but looking forward to it all. Thanks again

The flowering cherry I was on about is called 'Prunus Shogetsu'. Here's a photo:

http://www.gapphotos.com/imagedetails.asp?imageno=27491

The blooms on mine tumble more, if you know what I mean, they are longer and hang downward. The blooms on this seem more rounded but that is probably because they've only just opened up. Good luck with your garden anyway, whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

The flowering cherry Prunus shirotae is also absolutely stunning and is def one of the best cherrys out there. The blooms are pure white and the branches create an umbrella effect. It also doesn't grow too high. I would def recommend this :)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Sparky100

Elle and Pinky06 and everyone else again, Thanks for more great ideas..

Am I getting too late for sowing some trees in my garden at this time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

Sparky100 wrote: »

Yeah, but they might take if you get them in during the next week. Water them well every 3 days if it's not raining. Don't drown them though if the soil hasn't got great drainage.

johno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭seahorse

Sparky100 wrote: »

Yeah you're pushing your luck to be honest, you wouldn't want to be leaving it too much longer - get those trees out there soon! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Excellent small tree along Driveway : Sorbus acuparia 'Autumn Spire'. Much more ornamental and beautiful flowers in Spring, fantastic colour transition in foliage colour from green in Spring to red in Autumn and finally lots of yellow berries which the birds love in Autumn.

Advertisement