Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing gun?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

My father is thinking of changing his gun for a newer 1. We were wondering how long it would take for the transaction to take place with the new firearms system.
    We are also going to put me as a user of the gun as it will be a sporting gun and i only have a game gun. Will this effect the process and time it will take??

Thanks
    Shootingkid:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Couple of questions.

What is the firearm?

Are you trading for a similar caliber?

If it is a 12g shotgun and you are simply going for a new shotgun then its a substitution (assuming he has gotten a new license). This process can be done simply and within 14 working days. An FCA1 with the "substitution box" ticked and certain information given is all thats needed.

Are you going for a new caliber?

If its a rifle and you are going for the same caliber then its the same as above. If you are trading up or down in caliber its classed as a new application and will require a fully completed FCA1 on your behalf.

For you to be licensed on the same firearm you simply fill out an FCA1 and in section 4.1 you fill in the license number of your father's new license on the new gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shootingkid

ye its a 12g shotgun o/u for a newer 1.
    do we both have to fill out a form or just put my licence number on his sustitution form
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Irish Springer

All depends on your local FO, i have made one substitution with the new system and one more in at the minute.

Took roughly 3 weeks the first time, but when i left it in this time the FO said that i got it in on time as he doesnt send them one by one to the Area Super, he normally waits until there is 20/30 applications then sends them down.

After that it depends on how quick the super gets to it but one thing that helps is get the name of super and give him a call, definitely helps to speed the process up.

Shouldnt be a problem by adding your name to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

..........do we both have to fill out a form or just put my licence number on his sustitution form
    thanks

It will be one application each as each application is for one person on one firearm.

Your father's application will be quick and straight forward. He need not fill in all sections of the FCA1 as his details will already be on file and all he wants to do is change the firearm details. He will need his name, address, new gun details, old gun details, old cert number, dealers details. NO photo, referees, doctor details are needed.

Your application will be a full FCA1 as it is a new application altogether. As you already own a shotgun you will not need a competency course and as its a joint application (on your part) then "good reason" can be put down as clays, etc, but shouldn't be an issue as its not a second gun for you.

If your father is getting the firearm and you are just getting licensed on it then he will need to have his license before you can submit yours. You will need his cert number for section 4.1 and he won't have this until he gets his new license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement