Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight v drops handlebars

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

I hope someone can give me advice on this one. I have recently started taking part in duathlons/ adventure racing. I have started to really enjoy cycling (i'm normally a runner). About 6 months ago i purchased a Claud Butler Levante Road Bike as i wanted a straight bar road bike (initially i was not too keen on drop handlebars). Recently i have had a change of heart as i have trialled a friends Giant Defy 3.0 road bike. As i want to reduce my times, does anyone think it is worth changing to a drop handlebar bike? I have 2 options either to trade in the levante bike (somewhere?) and get a faster racer or change the handlebars on the Levante to drops (at cost of e200)? I have noticed that especially on the downhill im slower! Any advice anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Golfanatic

first ask how much you could get for your bike buy you will end up spending a bit more. choose a bike you want and see how uch you can get fir your current bike. then make the decision

• Registered Users Posts: 13 beara biker

on the drop bars you are positioned lower so your upper body catches less wind increasing your speed. also check the tyre width, a slightly wider tyre will increase drag slowing you down .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Drops will make a big difference. Aero bars will also make a siginificant difference but there are situations drops are better for the control, particularly descending.

I wouldn't try to alter that bike; I would cut your losses and get a new road bike. And add aero bars to that.

Advertisement