Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sri Lanka

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hey, anyone out there surfed in Sri Lanka??

Any info on the waves etc??? Thinking of heading there this winter........ planning ahead I know.....

Any feedback appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jarrahcooke

What level of surer are you? I did a month there and to be honest it is over rated! pretty crowded with **** surfers ad lots of Israilies with no surf knowledge. If you a beginner or improver could be ok but if yo wan to go somewhere with pumping waves go to indo.

We had lots of cross shore days and swells were way smaller than forecast consistenly.

Sorry to be negative but that's the way it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I was there this Dec and Jan just gone.

Loved the place.

Went to Weligama which is a great longboarding beach and good for beginers.

Hikkaduwa is full of Israelis apparently and they surf like they do in Tel Aviv - i.e. with people dropping in on each other. That created bad vibes with the locals in Sri Lanka and so I avoided going there.

Weligama is a nice wave and there were only 2 days when it wasn't worth getting in. There are a few reef breaks close by (Rams, LAzy left and then Merissa beach).

Hot sunny weather, boardshorts and a rashie - what more could you ask for?

Well, you could ask for cleaner water - WEligama can get a bit mank when it rains as there are two rivers flowing into the bay.

The other issue was that over a 3 week period after Christmas, the place was mobbed with Russians who were learning (badly) to surf and didn't have a clue about the rules of dropping in etc. But it didn't take away from the great time I had - we all have to learn somewhere.

Beautiful people and a wonderful country.

Advertisement