If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Ambilight TV - 5 year warranty query.

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I have a 16 month old Philips 37" Ambilight TV that came with an extra 4 years warranty, to make a total of 5 years. I'm thinking of getting a 42" but will need to then sell the 37" and was wondering if the warranty is transferable to the next owner?

Maybe the Philips experts here will be able to shed some light? Oh, and recommend a good 42" with Ambilight if you would also, couldn't buy a TV without it now!

Is there a difference in the types of Ambilight and if so what is it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Quenching

Generally speaking the warranties are non transferable.
    I take it you completed a registration form for your TV and returned it to Philips Ireland or was it offered as a shops own promotional incentive?

Check out the Philips 42PFL8404H a very excellent upper mid range LCD TV thats been massively popular amoungst Boardies.
    check it out -
    http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/42pfl8404h_12_pss_eng.pdf
    This TV sells for €999.99

Or if you want the best have a look at this, the amazing 40PFL9704H

http://www.philipsshop.ie/Spec%20Sheets/40pfl9704h_12_pss_eng.pdf
    This sells for €1999.99

Now you can use the 10% Philips Shop Boards Discount scheme and save money on them both, so the 40PFL9704 can be yours for €1799.99 and the 42PFL8404H is yours for €899.99.
    Both sets have a 2 year warranty and are Ambilight equiped - the 8 series is Spectra 2 channel - left and right of the screen and the 9704 is Spectra 3 Left, Right and top of screen.

All are on display if you would like a demo in store

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

Thanks Ash,

Seems you've overlapped with my phonecall to Philips Ireland :)

The extended warranty I got was through a registration form to complete and return to Philips Ireland, they then sent me a warranty certificate. I managed to get the consumer section in Philips Ireland today and they said its OK to transfer the warranty, I'd just need to give them a call with the serial number of the TV, my name and the new owners name, so all good news. Even then they said that this wasn't totally necessary as the warranty went with the TV and not the owner.

I was in the Philips shop today looking at the 40PFL9704H, very nice indeed but maybe a little too expensive, the 40PFL8664H looks like a reasonable compromise, I might stick to a 40" model. Does the €1299 shop price work out to €1169 with the Boardies discount?

Just have to do some gentle persuasion on my better half now!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

quenching wrote: »
    Thanks Ash,

Seems you've overlapped with my phonecall to Philips Ireland :)

The extended warranty I got was through a registration form to complete and return to Philips Ireland, they then sent me a warranty certificate. I managed to get the consumer section in Philips Ireland today and they said its OK to transfer the warranty, I'd just need to give them a call with the serial number of the TV, my name and the new owners name, so all good news. Even then they said that this wasn't totally necessary as the warranty went with the TV and not the owner.

I was in the Philips shop today looking at the 40PFL9704H, very nice indeed but maybe a little too expensive, the 40PFL8664H looks like a reasonable compromise, I might stick to a 40" model. Does the €1299 shop price work out to €1169 with the Boardies discount?

Just have to do some gentle persuasion on my better half now!

Guys,

Just on the Philips Extended warranty issue - Philips are a bit unusual in that the Warranty attached to the TV - (based on the serial number) and is transferrable no problem.

Sense & Simplicity in action!

Keep us posted if you have any further queries,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Quenching

Well seems John has cleared up that issue - cheers!

Yes you are correct the Boardies price on the 40PFL8664H is €1169.99.
    It is basically the 8404 wil Edge Lit LED tech so really ups the contrast ratio (from 80000:1 to 500000:1) and a good bit slimmer.
    It will even help save enviroment as it sips at the electricity rather than guzzle it:)

Good luck with the better half...but I always find its best to just bring it home and suprise them - people like suprises!!!

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

I'd pretty much changed my decision from the 7404 to the 8404 thinking for the extra cash the Ambilight and DLNA would be worth it... to now find an LED version for 1169.

CURSES!!! I'll have to start cutting back on non-essentials (like food) :-)

-ZB

• Advertisement

Hi zaphodbeeb

Somethings are worth sacrificing for the cause of a good TV!

atb
    ash

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Hi Ash,

I'm looking for a Philips PFL9704H LED TV. I didn't see it on your website, only the PDF you linked to. I was wondering do you have this TV in stock right now, and if so, what's the current price?

Also, can the TVs be delivered outside of Dublin?

Thanks!

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey NetLink,

http://www.philipsshop.ie/ledlcd.htm

This is the LED section of our website.

Let me know which you're after and I'll get you prices and availaility.

Delivery is generally approx €29.99. But I can give you an exact price after we confirm all the details.

Thanks a mil, Nicola.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 NetLink

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for getting back! I had my eye on this one:

40PFL9704H

I heard it was a very decent TV and I also so it on display while abroad - it looked very impressive.

Would it also be possible to order this item over the internet or by phone (with credit card or Laser)?

Also, I see Ash mentioned something about a "10% Philips Shop Boards Discount" - a discount for Boards.ie members??

Thanks!

Nicola on behalf of Ash:

Hey Netlink,

PM sent! :D

Nicola

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.