Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of changing college course?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello... My brother is currently in his second year in his degree course but hates it and has failed semester 1. He can repeat that semester next year but would much prefer to change course completely as he doesn't think he can stick it for at least two more years. Could anybody give me information on costs involved with starting a new course? Would he have to pay full prices for third and fourth year? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If he repeats the year/semester he will have fees. If he transfers into second year of another course he'll have fees for second year but not for third and fourth year. If he starts another degree from scratch he'll have fees for first and second year but not the final two years. Basically each 'unique' year he completes will not incur fees. If he's on a grant he'll lose the grant for the repeat year I think.

As for costs it depends on the type of degree he is doing. Typically Science and Engineering degrees cost more per year than Arts, Humanities and Business degrees. The actual fees, he would have to check out with the college

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Brandon2592

Thanks very much:)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

If he repeats the year/semester he will have fees. If he transfers into second year of another course he'll have fees for second year but not for third and fourth year. If he starts another degree from scratch he'll have fees for first and second year but not the final two years. Basically each 'unique' year he completes will not incur fees. If he's on a grant he'll lose the grant for the repeat year I think.

As for costs it depends on the type of degree he is doing. Typically Science and Engineering degrees cost more per year than Arts, Humanities and Business degrees. The actual fees, he would have to check out with the college

what about if someone does 1st year of a course,doesnt like it and then starts a new course from scratch?Would fees be for 1st and 2nd year aswell:confused:
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

briankirby wrote: »
    what about if someone does 1st year of a course,doesnt like it and then starts a new course from scratch?Would fees be for 1st and 2nd year aswell:confused:
    Thanks

No, just first year.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭davenachill

Hello, I just did a year in GMIT this year and I want to change my course to another course in GMIT. I was wondering how to go about all of this. Will i have to re-apply through the cao next year or could i do it throught GMIT?

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hello, I just did a year in GMIT this year and I want to change my course to another course in GMIT. I was wondering how to go about all of this. Will i have to re-apply through the cao next year or could i do it throught GMIT?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm kind of in the same position. Did arts in maynooth this year (passed all my exams) but want to chnage to a different course in maynooth.

Do I have to apply through cao or can I do it internally? Any advice appreciated.:)

I think you would have to do it through the CAO. If you have think you have the points, then it's very hassle free. Since you are a current student at NUIM, you have until late July to apply to the CAO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mayo93

hi i know this will seem kind of stupid but i am currently a first year student in a business course in limerick. however i am not 100% happy in limerick or with the structure of the business course. would it be stupid of me to think about changing to a business course in galway? i know id have to pay extra fees for the first year but wouldnt it be worth it if i was happier where i was?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 14odea14

howya doin, i have the same problem iv passed the 2 yrs of my course in gmit but want to change to a new course next year, how do you go about doing this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If you're applying to start 1st year a new course then generally you have to re-apply through the CAO. You'll need the minimum CAO points for that course.
    The CAO Deadline to start the course this year has passed though. You could try ringing your college

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Originally posted by 14odeal14
    howya doin, i have the same problem iv passed the 2 yrs of my course in gmit but want to change to a new course next year, how do you go about doing this

Do you want to change to another course in GMIT or one in a different college? If it's in GMIT you may be able to apply for an internal course transfer once you have met the entry requirements for the course. Best thing to do is get in touch with the admissions/registration office at your college.If it's in a different college it will be a bit more difficult as the CAO deadline has passed, but it would probably be best to contact the college you want to apply to for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 14odea14

thanks i got in touch with the administrations office now and got it all sorted, thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Skidfingers

Hi,

I'm currently in first year in GMIT and I wish to change to a different course next year also in GMIT. The college told me I'd need to go through CAO again, what is the closing date for students who wish to do a different course in the same college?

Thanks and apologies for the bump of an old thread.

Advertisement