Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Guitar :D

• 29-03-2010 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I’m gonna pick up my first guitar during the week and was wondering if I could get some recommendations.
    I was wondering first of all should I start with an acoustic or Electro-Acoustic Guitar. The end result is to play electric but I want to use an acoustic or Electro-Acoustic Guitar to get the basics down.
    And my second question of course is which one. I’m thinking around 400ish as my spending limit but I could go 500ish if I had too. Thanks guys hope to get some suggestions soon , wana get in and get one this week :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

An elctro-acoustic is just an acoustic guitar that you can plug into an amp. So it's not going to be in anyway similar to an electric guitar. If you want to play electric i would say start with an electric! Both are going to be "hard" to learn, the acoustic will have thicker strings generally, but imo that's no reason to buy an acoustic guitar just to get stronger fingers.
    I started learning to play acoustic, and hated it, i nearly gave up actually, it was only when i bought an electric that i really started to enjoy it. That's what i wanted to play so the acoustic jst didn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭gar44

Cheers for the reply, To be honest I think I'm gonna pick up an acoustic to start with because I've heard from a few people that if you want to be able to play both that the best place to start. I was really just looking for suggestions on the type of electro acoustic guitar I should pick up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Gar just to reiterate what alan said, if you want to play electric, start on an electric. That whole starting on an acoustic is utter nonsence! Waste of money, for 500 quid you could get a decent electric and an amp!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 StephenB

Yeah I'd back up what the other lads are saying about wanting to play electric. However, if you;re really gonna start playing an acoustic, you'll pick up a nice one for 4 or 500. If you have no intention of gigging with this acoustic then i would suggest going for a fully acoustic guitar. The reason being that you'll get a better acoustic for 400 than you would electro acoustic for the same price.

There are plenty of shops in town to go in and play.
    There's Music Maker on Exchequer street. Theres a guy in there called Liam who looks after the guitar section and will advise u on what you want.
    Perfect Pitch just down the street from Music Maker
    Waltons on George's Street and Fredrick Street
    X Music in Ballymount has a whole acoustic room that you can go in and play away! Also, if you see one you like, ask them to match the Thomann.de price which they do!
    Goodwins on Capel Street have a lot of acoustics also but I've never had any dealings with these guys.

Again, you'll get a solid acoustic for 500 quid and may even be able to venture into a Martin brand for that cash

Advertisement