Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Abercrombie proper fantasy

• 29-03-2010 8:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I am new to Fantasy and I love Joe Abercrobie. Its my first time to read a fantasy trilogy

Do fantasy readers consider Abercrombie as proper fantasy or some sort of popular fantasy, a guy I work with said its not proper fantasy and just made for the mass market.

I said he was a stupid Carl and if Logan was here he would kick his ass.

So is Joe real fantasy

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Say one thing for the guy you work with, say he's an idiot.

Abercrombie is proper fantasy. There's sub-genres in fantasy - you can have the epic series (Erikson, Jordan), the character focused (Hobb), the light-hearted (Pratchett) and the gritty swords stuff (Abercrombie). He's one of the best new voices in fantasy and I was very impressed with the First Law series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Winty

Thanks

I will dedicate the rest of my life to spreading the good work of the 1st Magi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I like to pimp Abercrombie as much as I can. 'Proper' fantasy? Come off it! He's a brilliant new author. Enjoy The First Law trilogy! And remember there's a book after that which occurs a little bit after the First Law. It's called Best Served Cold and it's excellent. He's also currently working on a new novel and has almost completed the first draft. It's going to be called Heroes.
    You know you've been impressed by an author when you start to follow their happenings.

Advertisement