Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom in breach of EU new Internet Human rights directives,line rental penalty fee?

• 29-03-2010 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

As of November 2009 the EU parliament passed new directive in relation to the right of the citizens of the EU to have Internet access to be included in The Charter of Human Right's. As part of this charter, fair competition also came into effect.

Today I was considering to get a new broadband connection, as I just have a USB modem with quite high charges for use, but on further research found out that I would have to pay and use Eircom for a 6 month term + connection fee or pay a penalty of E18 a month (E108.00 in total) to get out of my Eircom contract to use the provider of my choice strait away or have Eircom just sitting their for 6 months doing nothing just not to incur the E108.00 fine!!! Now if their was a reason for this new law to be used to in the name of protecting EU citizens this has to be a must!!!

Now in fairness they have made plenty of money from the Irish consumer over the years, even ripped some completely off in respect to the compulsory purchase order of Eircom shares at a lower price than what people paid for them in the first place!!! Now, to sanction a fee like this when they will be paid rent for the line by the broadband provider is a big slap in the face to the consumer!!!:mad:

Maybe it's time that Eircom paid a little back to the people of Ireland in respect to charges and penalty's for what now is a Human Right!!!!

Press release 5 Nov 2009 form EU.

http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=MEMO/09/491&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Have a look and see what you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

In short no its no breach of human rights to charge a PSTN contract cancelation fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 padraig77

But they are putting up an obstacle for people in a recession to access broadband with their monopoly on the grid? Does this not breach fair competition law as to prevent other operators to provide internet access?

Think maybe this question is open to interpretation as all laws are.

Hope you read the press release.

PS. Why can Broadband providers that the consumer wishes to do business with not be exempt from their potential customers having to incur fee's for getting connected? This must be a breach??

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭35notout

because the other providers can also order the lines for you if required - deregulation has made this possible.

you could also look at non-landline based broadband.....

Thanks for reply notout!

Was thinking about Smart, so you think Smart can request the line from Eircom for me? That would be great! Just makes me sick to pay Mafia style extortion for Broadband!!!

Am using the 3 USB at the moment, have no real complaints about it as such, it's just the usage witch is a bit of a pain at the mo, on 3pay so i get 10Gb per month, so if i watch any heavy media content it sucks the life out of my wallet!! lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement