Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Comedy Night - Ennis

• 29-03-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I am looking to set up a comedy night in Ennis and I was first of all wondering if it would be worth my while doing and, secondly, if anyone on here would have any advice on setting up such a night?

There is no such event going on in the town at the present time so I think in that sense it may be successful but I'm at a loss as to how to attract comedians - whether they are new or not.

I would appreciate any comments or advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Publicdiservice

I run a monthly comedy night in the midlands and while it can be a bit more difficult getting acts down, with a bit of advance planning it can be done.
    As regards whether its worth your while, most comedy nights do not make much money initially anyway but Ennis is a big town and a gap in the market for something different could go well. There a regular clubs in Galway and Limerick and Ennis would be reasonably close to them so local acts there might be your best bet. If you need any contact numbers for acts either PM me or email maxdo7@yahoo.co.uk. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I live down the road in Shannon and regularly go to Limerick and occasionally Dublin and Galway to watch comedy. I'd be well on for it when ye get going...just as long as you don't stick to booking comedians who are regulars on The Panel or the 'stars' of Naked Camera...I just don't think I could handle it, my sides might possibly split!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 worthkill

If your looking for an act ill gladly offer my services. Im doing stant up for close on six years and have performed in London and America. i recently moved home (cork) and have done a good few gigs locally, so pm me if your interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

we used to have one every Thursday in the queens about 7/8 years ago, it was very successful, don't know why it stopped, also brandons bar used host comedy nights back then also, saw Jason byrne and dara o brian there,

ya there is defo a market for something like that here in ennis
    i and my mates would defo go

good luck with it, some already has posted in clare forum, but if you make a thread there also, you'll get the Ennis feedback

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=941

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Comedy is a tough one. People will go for a while but then will soon tire of the regular unknown guys on the circuit. This is no disrespect to them, they are, in the most part, great but the public will crave "people off the telly".

For these acts you will need to go through an agency that are very difficult to deal with. They will first have to male sure that your venue is suitable with all seating areas. After that they may still decide that they just don't want to let you have one of their comedians, and that's without giving you a reason.

Fair play to ya for thinking about it but I'll give you some examples from the south east :

Waterford - 1 main venue ran nights every week...was hit and miss...never made money so it was pulled. Other venue then started on a Saturday night...went well for a while but was then moved to just once a
    month and now relies on comp passes to get a crowd in.

Wexford: did ok every Thursday night but when they tried to get neil delamere they were told that their venue had to be approved. It was, and they still were refused delamere...this was after two initial approvals. Posters were designed and tickets printed. After that they decided to pull comedy for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭roseym

I think it's a great idea, comedy nights in Ennis are far and few between. I'd defo go and bring a crowd. Best of luck with it!

Advertisement