Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S.U.P Stand Up Paddle board

Options
  • 29-03-2010 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I'm on the look out for a second hand SUP board and paddle.

Anything considered, cash waiting.

PLease email detailed photos and spec : cprh@hotmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Cprh wrote: »
    I'm on the look out for a second hand SUP board and paddle.

Anything considered, cash waiting.

PLease email detailed photos and spec : cprh@hotmail.com
    There was one on gumtree or adverts.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭HxGH

How much should you be paying for a second hand SUP Board?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Cprh

There was one on gumtree or adverts.ie

Any chance of a link - Can't seem to find them using site search

HxGH wrote: »
    How much should you be paying for a second hand SUP Board?

As little as possible: But realistically about half of retail price depending on condition/age/destination.

Some forums in UK have unofficial second hand sales. Delivery from UK may be prohibitive for large boards........

As little as possible: But realistically about half of retail price depending on condition/age/destination.

Some forums in UK have unofficial second hand sales. Delivery from UK may be prohibitive for large boards........

I don't see a figure :p

HxGH wrote: »
    I don't see a figure :p

Fair enough. Between 350 and 500 I suppose

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Between 350 and 500 I suppose

Thanky ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

Im just curious to those of you thinking of getting a sup, do you longboard already?

Im just curious to those of you thinking of getting a sup, do you longboard already?

Yes, but am mostly interested in SUP for flat water. Does anyone know if rocker plays significant role in SUP for paddling vs. surfing?

I have before...

But I preffer pure surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

I have a SUP but only really use it on lakes as I have a longboard for the small stuff.

Nothing beats cruising on a perfectly glass lake on a warm summers day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Ah now I see the appeal of a SUP. Always wondered why they didn't just longboard!

Suppose you can paddle to the middle of the lake and go fishing for a while :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 bigsurf.ie

Hi folks,

I longboard and SUP both flat & waves. SUP catches waves way easier and no lying down, so no sore chest after a session. When its goes off I'd still go shortboarding as its faster, but the smaller SUP's now are getting fairly radical too.

Some boards are faster on the wave, some turn better, while changing the FCS thrusters in the back also makes a BIG difference. The Starboard Whopper here: <Link Removed> is the stable beginner board, but is absolutely awesome for surfing given its rounded planshape, rocker, tail kick and thrusters. Even in the very basic construction, its a weapon on the wave!

You want length, volume, straight rails and flatter rocker for cruising, but to be fair, unless its something like a K15 or Pin, the normal big boards like the Big Easy, also surf really well with thrusters plugged in, especially small waves with less risk of nose diving on take off.

Some of the SUP's have a bolt to plug in your windsurf sail, so you can learn to windsurf on them too. Some have holders for fishing rods, while others have straps for "luggage" to be held on the nose of the board.

SUP racing is getting bigger and bigger now also.

Second hand depends on the brand, condition, year and obviously shape. Some of the older designs now are too specific, for example too narrow, and too unstable for anyone to start with.

You also now have inflatable SUP's...ideal for cruising, and they go into a back pack to fit into boot of a small car...one of our customers with these has a mini. Paddles also come in 3 pieces if you want, and are still strong.

Regards,
    Pearse

<Links removed - c - 13>

bigsurf.ie wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Our demo SUP's for sale are up here:
    http://www.bigsurf.ie/showcat.php?catid=147

Big surf,

Cheers for info - you're only knocking off €50 from the demo model even though it has been used???

If you come back to €500 and throw in a paddle we can do business.

cprh@hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Big Surf, you have been warned before about the commercial nature of your posts. Consider this your final warning since you are giving good advice too, next time will result in a ban. Thanks & Regards, c - 13

c - 13 wrote: »
    Big Surf, you have been warned before about the commercial nature of your posts. Consider this your final warning since you are giving good advice too, next time will result in a ban. Thanks & Regards, c - 13

In fairness to Big Surf, I contacted him direct and he gave me quality, free, impartial advice about SUP boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Edmc

Cprh: In fairness to Big Surf, I contacted him direct and he gave me quality, free, impartial advice about SUP boards.

+1 to that. The above moderation and threat of a ban seems unnecessary in my opinion. Big Surf's post was useful info on a surfing forum that's pretty quiet these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Edmc wrote: »

+1 to that. The above moderation and threat of a ban seems unnecessary in my opinion. Big Surf's post was useful info on a surfing forum that's pretty quiet these days...

Bigsurf/Pearse knows his stuff alright, his advice is welcome but we can't really allow overt/covert selling alongside that.

E.g. "here's some advice!" is great, but "here's some advice, and I'm glad you asked that because I happen to be selling a variety of these if you are interested!" is not ok. This is a site-wide rule, so the whole place does not become peppered with advertising.

On the other hand, we do allow commercial users to use their company names as their usernames, along with a *discreet* ad/link in their signature, so if they do offer plenty of good advice and interact with users, they could be rewarded by having their name/business noticed.

Hope that clarifies things. If anyone is bothered by this policy please have your say in the Help Desk or Feedback forums. Us Surfing mods have our hands tied.

Ah fair enough so, I can see your hands are tied if it's Forum-wide policy. No worries!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,493 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i'd rather some state their commercial involvment than give advice and not state a commercial involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

IMO his post is fine now the commercial link is gone.

@Bigsurf.ie Good advice there putting a link in your signature. ;)

The OP asked if anybody has a SUP for sale and he siad yes - nothing wrong with that.

Just a reminder:
    If anyone is bothered by this policy please have your say in the Help Desk or Feedback forums. Us Surfing mods have our hands tied.

and from the charter:
    Commercial entities must pay if they want to advertise here (go here or contact the mods). ... If you are a private individual making a one-off sale, that is ok.

and
    if you don't agree with a moderator's decision or any aspect of this charter, PM the mod instead of posting about it. If that doesn't settle it, take it to the Help Desk.

I'm not being mean, I just don't want good threads littered with the ins and outs of rules that I have no say about. Please stay on topic.

Whoa there lads and lassies.

We must not bicker amongst ourselves.

I got an SUP. Not from big surf, but on his advice.

stoked.

Now, where to find a crowded break to paddle into the set waves from way out the back, and prevent pesky regular surfers from getting the good waves......................................................................

Guys can you tell us more what the appeal of a SUP is? That's not a dig, I'm genuinely interested. When I first saw them I didn't really get it, paddling them looked looked awkward as the rider had to swap hands every paddle stroke - but clearly they're very popular so I assume with good reason.

I get the impression that it combines some of the possiblities of kayaking (i.e. not being reliant on waves for a bit of craic on the water, i.e. cruising around), with the ability to surf when there are waves. Also I hear paddling them on the flat is a good workout because of the stance involved.

I get the impression that it combines some of the possiblities of kayaking (i.e. not being reliant on waves for a bit of craic on the water, i.e. cruising around), with the ability to surf when there are waves. Also I hear paddling them on the flat is a good workout because of the stance involved.

I think you've nailed it there. From what I gather, the main advantages are the ability to catch otherwise uncatchable waves, and to have some fun when there are no waves at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Low Pockets

cornbb wrote: »
    I think you've nailed it there. From what I gather, the main advantages are the ability to catch otherwise uncatchable waves, and to have some fun when there are no waves at all.

Don't forget you'll get to piss off and endanger 95% of the line up.

I don't think anyone should be riding a sup in surf until you are a very competent logboarder

Don't forget you'll get to piss off and endanger 95% of the line up.

I don't think anyone should be riding a sup in surf until you are a very competent logboarder

There won't be any lineup in most SUP-using scenarios. They're best in the waves that are too crap/small/fat/mushy for shortboarders, or no waves at all. And I don't think longboarders are liable to complain. Its basically a longboard with a paddle.

cornbb wrote: »
    There won't be any lineup in most SUP-using scenarios. They're best in the waves that are too crap/small/fat/mushy for shortboarders, or no waves at all. And I don't think longboarders are liable to complain. Its basically a longboard with a paddle.

No you get some right fools buying them and taking them out where they shouldn't - saw a guy nearly kill a few people in killiney on the east coast lasy year. You get some guys who can surf but also show no respect for anbody else and take evey thing going. Because they are standing they can see set sooner and get into position.

Bottom line is they have earned a bad rep and if you are out on one you need to be extra carefull and extra nice

• Advertisement

Guys can you tell us more what the appeal of a SUP is? That's not a dig, I'm genuinely interested. When I first saw them I didn't really get it, paddling them looked looked awkward as the rider had to swap hands every paddle stroke - but clearly they're very popular so I assume with good reason.

Sin é.

If the waves are decent you're gonna break out the shortboard as usual. If it's cat, then the SUP could be handy. I'm more interested in flat water - canals, lakes etc and am considering some sections of rivers near me too.

Something to do in the bad spells

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement