Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you check into hotel straight after giving birth?

Options
  • 29-03-2010 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hello,
    Would anyone consider booking into a hotel for 3 nights after giving birth instead of staying in hospital.
    A friend of mine did this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Wouldn't be my thing but different strokes for different folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

Hi,
    I do not think I would do it either. Especially if I had other small children at home and lived a 20 minute drive from the hospital like my friend.
    After I had my kids I just wanted to be at home with them and have a familar space around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

Im sensing an early april fools gag!:)

Hello,
    This is not a gag or a joke. This is completely true. It may seems hard to believe, I can see maybe why you think this.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭2SWEET

April1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    This is not a gag or a joke. This is completely true. It may seems hard to believe, I can see maybe why you think this.
    I stand corrected.
    Does seem a bit extreme to me, i would rather settle at home with my baby than stay at a strange hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Moylaragh

New babies thrive on routine and farmiliar sorroundings so it really is not a good idea to go to hotel.

Go home and get the baby settled. It will be better for both of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Hi,
    I do not think I would do it either. Especially if I had other small children at home and lived a 20 minute drive from the hospital like my friend.
    After I had my kids I just wanted to be at home with them and have a familar space around me.

Well what type help and support will she have?
    If she goes home will her partner expect her to be the default parent and to have to everything in the house for all the children just out of hospital?
    It might be the only way she gets to rest and recover for a few days.

She has a new aupair and a very large helpful family who all live close by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bogtotty

I find this very odd. I understand people staying in a hotel or B&B before the birth if they live far away from the hospital, but staying in one afterwards is a bit diva-like, no? I certainly wouldn't want my new baby staying in a hotel room - god knows what disgusting things the previous occupants could have gotten up to. Hardly a sterile environment, no matter what star rating the particular hotel has.

If for some reason she doesn't feel she would get enough support at home, what does she think will happen in a hotel, apart from service staff coming in to hoover at odd hours and a better selection on the room service menu? Would she not be better off going private to some place like Mt Carmel and have the benefit of trained medical staff to look after her, and more pertinently, her new baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I wouldn't do it right after birth, because I'd want the health check-ups etc at the hospital. But under certain circumstances, I could see myself doing it on day 2 or 3. It might be nice to have a few days just baby and me (and husband, or husband visiting), while someone else looks after the bigger kids :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

If I could afford it, which I cant, id check in for three weeks and hibernate. I'd order the nappies to be delivered and have the phn visit the hotel room. Especially if you have no support, the linens can be done, and your food prepared for you. Sounds like princess syndrome I know, but when you are so exhausted you nearly but the baby in the freezer and the coffee granules in the bottle, you need all the help you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Would it have been to qualify for the community midwife scheme and early release? If your friend lived too far away from the hospital she wouldn't have qualified, so checking into a nearby hotel meant she wasn't in a clinical environment but still had the support of the midwifery team nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Didn't the Rotunda put patients up in Jurys because of overcrowding a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

personally i wouldn't. i felt so icky and tired i just wanted to get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

No, noooo!
    Not my sort of thing at all.
    I couldnt wait to come home, get in my own shower, was my hair and have a lie down in my own bed... with my princess cuddled beside me in her new moses basket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Why would you feel the need to post about your "friend" doing this? :confused:

I'm genuinely curious! Do you think that the child somehow suffered as a result?

It seems unusual alright, but surely it's the mother's/couple's decision if they want to do this. It actually sounds to me like it would be quite nice ... you'd avoid being overwhelmed with family and friends immediately, get a bit of alone time with the baby for the first few days, and really celebrate the birth, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭MrsA

Well OP it does seem as if this bothers you, so go on tell us why?

I went home when my baby was 5 hours old, I travelled about 20 miles to get home to my own house which was not "sterile" either. If I had thought of it a hotel would have been a great idea.

Tiny babies don't have a clue about routine, and God bless anyone who thinks that up to 3 or 4 day olds are getting into a routine. All they want is mum, the smell of her and the sound of her. Be that in a hotel or a caravan as long as they are warm and fed and clean they will be happy enough.

Hi, I was just curious if others had done this and why? I have never heard of anyone doing it and could not figure out why a person would.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hi, I was just curious if others had done this and why? I have never heard of anyone doing it and could not figure out why a person would.:)

Why don't you just ask your friend? Nobody else can tell you why she makes her decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

There was a glossy article in the Sunday Independent magazine on this, probably six months ago now. Maybe try search for that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement