Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 'moan about the Leaving Cert' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

So what kinda study has everybody been doing? I know I'm going to feel so guilty if anyone answers this questions :P

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Ah the weather will be grand, at least it wont be dark and depressing with us yelling "woe is me" etc. You can study in the garden!

Anyway I feel slightly better about the whole situation now that the light of the end of the tunnel is quite visible!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭_Chaos

REASONS I HATE THE LEAVING CERTIFICATE

I am expected to have two conversations with two complete strangers in different languages. And get graded on it.

Art has become less fun. Instead of Conor the plant, drawing clowns everywhere, and having paper airplane races, we get to learn about homosexual dead people.

We only have one doss class each week. all other classes are spent learning.

Afterschool classes don't happen just in America anymore. Home Economics, Biology and Art proved that.

It is slowly but surely killing my social life.

Everyone feels compelled to give me the lecture of how important it is, and inquire if I have my homework done.

I find it hard to study, unless its the night before the exam.....

My Biology teacher found out I don't know a single thing thats on the Biology course. Well to be technical, I know 11% of the course, and appearntly thats not enough. eico_eyeroll.gif

Colleges reguarly send me letters reminding me of interviews. This is followed by me downloading the college perspectus and learning it on the train there.

My hair has stopped being pretty.

I can no longer spend all day on the internet guilt-free.

My Teachers bully me into learning.

I learn stuff I will NEVER use in art college, eg. everything on the maths syllabus.

Stress = spots. enough said.

Our break/lunch time chats are normally related to some homework we didnt do/test we didnt study for......and no longer about freaking out first years at the window.

I have no idea what is happening in Home and Away, Gossip Girl or Neighbours. And I have stopped reading mylifeisaverage, FML, lamebook and texts from last night.

Most of the time, my schoolbag is heavier than me.

The CAO doesnt make much sense.

Instead of reading books for fun, I read prospecti. :cool:

Im getting kind of sick of explaining to various extended relatives what I want to do after school, and see them all act the same way. 'oooohhhhhhh animation?' when you know they're thinking 'never gonna happen'

I briefly became an insominiac while doing my art portfolio.

I have gave up my farm, my fish tank, my cafe and my theme park on facebook.

While babysitting I now study, instead of the usual routine when I usta enjoy watching spongebob squarepants just as much as the kids.

I still have my vodka from Christmas, untouched.

After two and a half years, I now actually USE my study table.

I can't rember the last time I had a convo with someone on MSN.

We don't mitch anymore.

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

insightful...
    But build a bridge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I have absolutely no time to do anything. Just yesterday I had 4 essays, a part B question in English, a listening test and 2 pages of part C questions in maths. I know there's only a month left but way to much homework atm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

I can top that:P
    2 English essays, 1 Dutch essay. yes Dutch, a full German paper, 6 years worth of Biology papers, granted, it's only parts of them but as usual it's the long parts, Section B economics and bits and pieces from Chemistry exam papers.
    and on top of that, it's my mam's birthday, and she wants a picture of myself and my dad for in the sitting room, so I gotta get that organised before the 5th of May, also on that same day have a L.C.V.P exam.

So yeah I'm pretty *****d, so to say

T4RGET wrote: »
    I can top that:P
    2 English essays, 1 Dutch essay. yes Dutch, a full German paper, 6 years worth of Biology papers, granted, it's only parts of them but as usual it's the long parts, Section B economics and bits and pieces from Chemistry exam papers.
    and on top of that, it's my mam's birthday, and she wants a picture of myself and my dad for in the sitting room, so I gotta get that organised before the 5th of May, also on that same day have a L.C.V.P exam.

So yeah I'm pretty *****d, so to say

Good luck with it anyway, I just about got it finished. Working my way through a good bit today aswel. I don't know what are teachers are doing, I'd prefer time to study and I havn't had any of that the last few days : (

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

The pressure is starting to mount now....suppose its only another little bit longer an then we're free!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

The Leaving Cert sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

DKZ wrote: »
    The Leaving Cert sucks!

You're only doing the JC! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

Good luck with it anyway, I just about got it finished. Working my way through a good bit today aswel. I don't know what are teachers are doing, I'd prefer time to study and I havn't had any of that the last few days : (

same to you mate, I know, and my mam keeps saying this is revision, and i say it's homework, then she says but you've already done it making it revision. True but it's also work fr home, making it.....?
    HOMEWORK :P

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

too much homework sucks :(

how are we meant to study?

T4RGET wrote: »
    same to you mate, I know, and my mam keeps saying this is revision, and i say it's homework, then she says but you've already done it making it revision. True but it's also work fr home, making it.....?
    HOMEWORK :P

It's a type of revision but it doesn't feel like it. I'd prefer to have more time to study the things I want to instead of getting homework on things I already know. Hoping as the weeks go on they'll cut down the amount of homework they give.
    MaggieNF wrote: »
    too much homework sucks :(

how are we meant to study?

I have no idea, I told my english teacher that I wouldn't have any time to do all of the homework she was giving in the time she wanted it done for(an essay and a part B question). She was very understanding but told me that I needed to have it done : (

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

God it's SO SOON

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ruski

Technology practical was due today and none of my class have it finished, yours truly included. And I'm clueless about the portfolio.

FML.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

HOW THE **** ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO STUDY BUSINESS?

I MEAN, IT SAYS SOME THINGS IN THE BOOK AND THEN YOU GET AN EXAM QUESTION THATS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM ANYTHING YOU HAVE EVER DONE. ITS ****. :mad:

YOU COULD LEARN OFF THE WHOLE ****ING BOOK AND STILL **** UP:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Bastard flu. I've done through a few packets of cleanex, lemsips, paracetomol and it's only getting worse. I blame you, Leaving cert:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 527 ✭✭✭AllInOne

stainluss wrote: »

I MEAN, IT SAYS SOME THINGS IN THE BOOK AND THEN YOU GET AN EXAM QUESTION THATS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FROM ANYTHING YOU HAVE EVER DONE. ITS ****. :mad:

Business is a b**tard. This is true.
    The timing is the worse thing...the fecking timing is ridiculous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ANDYBOND777

cus of lc, I haven't time to play football...-_-...it's absolutely ridiculous how big every courses are...

This is doing the rounds on facebook atm, thought it summed up things pretty well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssWYnRlW_CM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

This is doing the rounds on facebook atm, thought it summed up things pretty well! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssWYnRlW_CM

That was amazing! Thanks :D:D

Conor108 wrote: »
    That was amazing! Thanks :D:D

Cheered me right up aswel =)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

That was both awesome and painfully accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

three projects handed up: one too short, another was missing sections and the last was just a confused attempt :(
    two orals done: irish was ok, french was a bit of a disaster
    ah but sure i'll get over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lemred

The worst thing about the lc is the constant guilt! I'm a godawful studier, would literally rather watch paint dry than repeat the way in which viruses repliacte or my literacy genre essay to myself countless times, so instead I procastinate, feeling a huge level of guilt at all times.

Following the 17th of june, I can only imagine guilt feelings along the lines of 'Why didn't you just study!' occuring.

Oh and on that rant about business studying, aren't the ABQ's just horrible
    ? We were doing sample ones there during the week and by god some of the bs you are expected to come up with on the spot is almighty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭cork*girl

Cannot Study.. I havnt started yet, like honestly.. not a thing.

Ive had Orals, Music Practicle, Geography project and now My Art is on this week coming.. So much other stuff to do than study out of a book.. arghhhh I know Im going to regret sitting down doing nothing come August 18th when everyone else is celebrating I will be drowning my sorrows.. I know its going to happen and it still doesnt motivate me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

cork*girl wrote: »
    I know Im going to regret sitting down doing nothing come August 18th when everyone else is celebrating I will be drowning my sorrows.. I know its going to happen and it still doesnt motivate me :o

Ah now I'm sure that wont happen. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭juliancallan

One of the worst designed educational systems I've ever heard of. The LC is a joke. Shame on the people who came up with it. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lemred

One of the worst designed educational systems I've ever heard of. The LC is a joke. Shame on the people who came up with it. Shame.

Argee completely. I used to attend IB schools when I lived aboard and am still in contact with people who are there. There is complete emphasis on continous assesment and a much higher level of difficulty and focus in the subject material. I find it so frustrating we're stuck with this ridiculus exam, which only tests your ablitiy to rote learn material. /rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 c0nor

stainluss wrote: »

exactly my sentiment.. tis a horrible subject

Advertisement