Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official 'moan about the Leaving Cert' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭*giggles*

c0nor wrote: »
    exactly my sentiment.. tis a horrible subject

Horrible subject indeed, but surprisingly I like it. I'm avoiding Unit 1 like the plague for a long question and I'm instead relying on Units 6 and 7. Anyone else in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

*giggles* wrote: »
    Horrible subject indeed, but surprisingly I like it. I'm avoiding Unit 1 like the plague for a long question and I'm instead relying on Units 6 and 7. Anyone else in the same boat?

:eek: I'm completely the opposite, I think Unit 1's the easiest. I'm only covering 6 and 7 for the short questions and not going near the long one's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lemred

:eek: I'm completely the opposite, I think Unit 1's the easiest. I'm only covering 6 and 7 for the short questions and not going near the long one's!

As am I, hate unit 6 with an absolute passion and find 7 just too waffley, but if needs be I will resort to q3 on the paper!

lemred wrote: »
    As am I, hate unit 6 with an absolute passion and find 7 just too waffley, but if needs be I will resort to q3 on the paper!

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to answer 5 questions on the day without answering anything about Unit 6/7, but anything could come up in the short questions. The ABQ's definitely the worst part of the paper, seriously dreading that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to answer 5 questions on the day without answering anything about Unit 6/7, but anything could come up in the short questions. The ABQ's definitely the worst part of the paper, seriously dreading that!
    I wasn't aware you could leave so much out, wowzy. Could someone explain the paper in very simple terms. I've never even seen a Business paper:). I mean in terms on, what appears in Q1, Q2 etc, what generally comes up on the short Q's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lemred

theowen wrote: »
    I wasn't aware you could leave so much out, wowzy. Could someone explain the paper in very simple terms. I've never even seen a Business paper:). I mean in terms on, what appears in Q1, Q2 etc, what generally comes up on the short Q's.

short questions - lietrally antything on course, but do know those ratio analysis yokes. Some of them you can get away with just common sense, others not so much.

Long questions

Part one

Question 1 - unit 1
    Question 2 - unit 6
    Question 3 - unit 7

Part two (q's 5,6 can can be on anything in unit 2- 5)

Question 4 - unit 2/3
    Question 5 - unit 3/4
    Question 6 - unit 3/4/5
    Question 7 - unit 5

You must answer one from from part 1 and two from part 2 and then one more from either, so it's possible to do only units 1,2,3,4.

Hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

lemred wrote: »
    short questions - lietrally antything on course, but do know those ratio analysis yokes. Some of them you can get away with just common sense, others not so much.

Long questions

Part one

Question 1 - unit 1
    Question 2 - unit 6
    Question 3 - unit 7

Part two (q's 5,6 can can be on anything in unit 2- 5)

Question 4 - unit 2/3
    Question 5 - unit 3/4
    Question 6 - unit 3/4/5
    Question 7 - unit 5

You must answer one from from part 1 and two from part 2 and then one more from either, so it's possible to do only units 1,2,3,4.

Hope it helps!
    I didn't know there is 7 questions, sheet. A lot of choice:rolleyes:

Yeah the questions normally arn't that bad, you'll normally find four you can do or just about spoof. It's just the timing that's pretty horrible :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

The Leaving Cert has reduced me to a constantly sick shadow of my former self (well, I'm blaming the Leaving Cert, anyway...). GO AWAY. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

The Leaving Cert has reduced me to a constantly sick shadow of my former self (well, I'm blaming the Leaving Cert, anyway...). GO AWAY. :(

Not quite sure if I get what you mean or not, but... everyday after school I just sit here, struggling to do work, flailing about. All this work is so boring and it leaves me feeling quite unfulfilled.. empty even. I'm just some yoke trundling through each day :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

four out of seven is live-able, id be happy with 98%

(my confidence about the LC fluctuates on a daily basis. tomorrow i will cry looking at the timetable, gin bottle in hand:eek:)

stainluss wrote: »
    gin bottle in hand:eek:)

Gin? Oh my. Perhaps some tonic to go with that?

stainluss wrote: »
    (my confidence about the LC fluctuates on a daily basis. tomorrow i will cry looking at the timetable, gin bottle in hand:eek:)

I know what that's like (minus the gin botte :cool:) Some days I think it'll be fine I've studied, I know my stuff but then i'd look at another question and realise it all depends on the day and what comes up! Making time to fit everything in is a real killer aswel.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

I know what that's like (minus the gin botte :cool:) Some days I think it'll be fine I've studied, I know my stuff but then i'd look at another question and realise it all depends on the day and what comes up! Making time for fit everything in is a real killer aswel.
    i know exactly what you mean :(

had 6 days off, and like 3 essays and loads of other work. didnt even get time to study.

i feel utterly hopeless and don't even know where to start when i sit down to do work :(

Cant wait for it all to be over

MaggieNF wrote: »
    i know exactly what you mean :(

had 6 days off, and like 3 essays and loads of other work. didnt even get time to study.

i feel utterly hopeless and don't even know where to start when i sit down to do work :(

Cant wait for it all to be over

I don't think timetables usually work for me but in the last few days I wrote out roughly what I have to do in each subject and made a table for this week showing me what to study. It's worked so far but I had to mark in a time to do homework separately to study or else I wouldn't get anything but homework done.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

ah well lcvp tomorrow...
    got no study done.... damn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Sophsxxx

I'm quite scared now. :confused:
    I don't do well under pressure!

Nearly passed out with the heat in the L.C.V.P. exam today. My table was wedged up against a radiator which was on (in May, WTF?), hall full of people and we weren't allowed to open the windows.

I can't wait for June when it's slightly warmer outside and the heat is still on:P

*giggles* wrote: »
    Nearly passed out with the heat in the L.C.V.P. exam today. My table was wedged up against a radiator which was on (in May, WTF?), hall full of people and we weren't allowed to open the windows.

I can't wait for June when it's slightly warmer outside and the heat is still on:P

ahh sounds like where i was, its great having heating :P
    except for us they blocked out the windows with black bin bags, don't really see the point

16 days of school left :O

16 days of school left :O

14 for me, can't believe six years just flew by so fast!

• Advertisement

14 for me, can't believe six years just flew by so fast!

oh man that is even worse, I'm so worried cos in most subjects, not even finished :(

oh man that is even worse, I'm so worried cos in most subjects, not even finished :(

Same, I'm pretty worried about English! I still have so much more to do. Geography and Business arn't finished either. There are so many things coming up in the next few weeks it'll be hard to fit everything in :O

Same, I'm pretty worried about English! I still have so much more to do. Geography and Business arn't finished either. There are so many things coming up in the next few weeks it'll be hard to fit everything in :O

english do ye have much left to do?

i have a poet and to finish general vision and viewpoint

not actually completely finished in any subject except LCVP haha

english do ye have much left to do?

i have a poet and to finish general vision and viewpoint

not actually completely finished in any subject except LCVP haha

We have to do General Vision, themes in King Lear and Paper 1. I'm not feeling too confident on any of english really. Woah that's crazy you'd think we'd be finished after two years but then again going slowly through it is better than rushing and not knowing the information.
    The snow and flood days didn't help much either, they cancelled my sports day (which prefects organise and I was really looking forard to) and i've had tons of extra classes after school but still not finished.

We have to do General Vision, themes in King Lear and Paper 1. I'm not feeling too confident on any of english really. Woah that's crazy you'd think we'd be finished after two years but then again going slowly through it is better than rushing and not knowing the information.
    The snow and flood days didn't help much either, they cancelled my sports day (which prefects organise and I was really looking forard to) and i've had tons of extra classes after school but still not finished.

wow that really sucks! we were doin bits of paper one all over the two years, so averagely well prepared for it like

english is never finished though, always coming in after we finish

i think our sports day is soon, and i have had hardly any after school classes and we need them :(

wow that really sucks! we were doin bits of paper one all over the two years, so averagely well prepared for it like

english is never finished though, always coming in after we finish

i think our sports day is soon, and i have had hardly any after school classes and we need them :(

Starting to do some of the courses myself now :o Yeah true, you never know what's going to come up, all you can do is hope and cover as much as you can! Sports day is always fun, I understand why we can't have one though.

Starting to do some of the courses myself now :o Yeah true, you never know what's going to come up, all you can do is hope and cover as much as you can! Sports day is always fun, I understand why we can't have one though.

i personally don'

I'm burnt out, had study on over all the breaks, even over a break we had just last weekend.

and my maths teacher went and got pneumonia! i neeed her to educate me LOL

i personally don'

I'm burnt out, had study on over all the breaks, even over a break we had just last weekend.

and my maths teacher went and got pneumonia! i neeed her to educate me LOL

I'm sure she'll make it up to you! Yeah i'm wrecked each day after all my homework I can hardly study, i'd love a break for sports day but my teachers wanted extra classes instead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I agree with ye, the study isn't so bad because all I do it exam question after exam question after exam question until I'm blue in the face, but by the time I get home from school I'm just so drained I could hit the hay at 4pm and not get up again until 8am!

They should cancel the leaving, I reckon it gives rise to alcoholism ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I cant wait until this is all over :eek:
    I study or at least try every night n only manage 355pts in pres and need 400/410 :mad: I mean, i put my all into english for example, and its like squeezing blood from the "grade" stone !!!
    I agree with the poster above me, the LC should be cancelled.
    Not only does it give rise to alcoholism :D,
    but its too much pressure being built up to 1/2 weeks:eek: My one goal is college and it feels a million miles away.
    I actually feel if I dont do well, Im finished. And ill watch my friends waltz off into the sunset (they are the "I did nothing" people who get A's )

I think the LC is horrible and it should change..

Advertisement