Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Rogue in BG

Options
  • 29-03-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

Could anyone give me a few tips for playing as a rogue in BG's? I never seem to do well and im sick of getting in arguments with teammates.

There seems to be a large number of assholes in BG's unfortunately and they start shouting noob at every available oppurtunity.

I've looked at a couple of guides on other sites but when i try those things they usually don't work.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Most important thing to remember as a Rogue: When in doubt, run away.

Seriously though, my experience's with using a Rogue in BG's has been a mostly positive experience. You just need to remember that we arent designed to fight toe-to-toe with most oponents. Stealth is our most important attribute. If you get seen before you attack, you either run away or die. I tend to stick with a few other people in BG's (team work in battleground? Never!!) and try to pick off targets as they come. Stick to casters for the most part, as they go down fast. Also, remember to disarm/blind anyone attacking you or your healer.

Attacking things solo can also be quite tough, unless your gear is pretty good. With the amount of escapes (trinket, blink etc..), its not as easy to stun-lock people to death anymore (which is probably a good thing).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ill often use stealth but when i attempt to use attacks like ambush on a target i often get cut to pieces even if im with a few teammates.

I've also tried using Vanish to help me escape but as soon as i do it wears off again immediatly because i am taking damage and i get cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Post ur build. I'm guessing its down to your build. Look at higher rated teams in arena and get a pvp build.. a good rogue build can 100% control the engagment...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

very hard to sort you out m8 when your only lvl 46 and asking about pvp..come back at 80:-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

GHOST MGG2 wrote: »
    very hard to sort you out m8 when your only lvl 46 and asking about pvp..come back at 80:-)
    No No No No! Don't listen to people that say this. The game doesnt solely exist around lvl80. The same basic principles are as important at lvl46 as at lvl80. By that stage, you have most of the core abilities for your class, with a few to come in the next few levels.

Just keep practising, and you'll get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Could anyone give me a few tips for playing as a rogue in BG's?

Stealth. Run up somewhere near where all the fights are happening and hit the tab key, cycling through all your enemies. Do nothing else but that and you'll max out on honour without even having to unstealth or hit anyone.

Boring maybe but the BG's are generally a waste of time these days anyway and the gear is pretty pointless/useless and there's little or no world pvp. If you wanted starting gear for arena's then just farm heroics and buy the pvp gear with the emblems.

Unless you're just levelling up in the BG, in which case, eh, just stealth and walk around hitting the tab key.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Nehaxak wrote: »
    Run up somewhere near where all the fights are happening and hit the tab key, cycling through all your enemies. Do nothing else but that and you'll max out on honour without even having to unstealth or hit anyone.

What? Since when does looking at people grant honor :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Wookster76

Blind and vanish are ur friends...if in doubt run..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

nix wrote: »
    What? Since when does looking at people grant honor :confused:

long as ur close enough to get the honour kill, you get the honour :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Nehaxak wrote: »
    If you wanted starting gear for arena's then just farm heroics and buy the pvp gear with the emblems.

no this takes much much longer, just farm bg's the honor is insane now. Talkin 6-7 Bg's per pieces of furious.

Thanks for the advice guys. I use stealth a lot but i thought stealthed players can be detected by higher level players which can make it pretty difficult as i often seem to get caught when i am stealthed also when i try to use vanish i always seem to get exposed again immediatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Guess i'll give you some advice, as rogues are really fun when leveling and doing bg's.

First thing you wanna do is go to your rogue trainer and respec

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=4&tal=30500310530212252210030100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

This is what your aiming for at level 50, once you get mutilate you'll wanna go into subelty.

In bg's, look for clothies first, or anyone on low hp, make sure your in stealth and try and sneak up on them.

Depending on the target you want to use either cheapshot/ambush or gorotte (Gorotte is good vs casters/rogues as it siliences them and puts a bleed on the target, so they cant stealth etc)

cheapshot is generally the best opener, you then build up combo points (Using backstab until you get to level 50 and can learn mutilate, if your finding it hard to backstab when the target isnt stunned, just use sinsterstrike) once you have 4 or 5 combo points, you have a choice of using either Eviserate or Kidneyshot (stun)

This is just a general outline of what your trying to do in a fight.

Other basic ****, if your nearly dead, use sprint or vanish or both and get hte **** out of there, you can also use sprint and vanish to chase down escaping fagg0ts and vanish to get out of combat so you can use cheapshot again.

Put kick on your toolbar, kick any heals / spells etc to interupt the caster.

Hope this helps alittle

You cant stealth when you have hunters mark / ferie fire debuffs on you. Also any damaging dots/bleeds will take you out of stealth if you vanish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Escaping fagg0ts. Hahaha. Thanks for that, just made me spit coffee all over my screens :(

Magill wrote: »
    Guess i'll give you some advice, as rogues are really fun when leveling and doing bg's.

First thing you wanna do is go to your rogue trainer and respec

http://eu.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=4&tal=30500310530212252210030100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

This is what your aiming for at level 50, once you get mutilate you'll wanna go into subelty.

In bg's, look for clothies first, or anyone on low hp, make sure your in stealth and try and sneak up on them.

Depending on the target you want to use either cheapshot/ambush or gorotte (Gorotte is good vs casters/rogues as it siliences them and puts a bleed on the target, so they cant stealth etc)

cheapshot is generally the best opener, you then build up combo points (Using backstab until you get to level 50 and can learn mutilate, if your finding it hard to backstab when the target isnt stunned, just use sinsterstrike) once you have 4 or 5 combo points, you have a choice of using either Eviserate or Kidneyshot (stun)

This is just a general outline of what your trying to do in a fight.

Other basic ****, if your nearly dead, use sprint or vanish or both and get hte **** out of there, you can also use sprint and vanish to chase down escaping fagg0ts and vanish to get out of combat so you can use cheapshot again.

Put kick on your toolbar, kick any heals / spells etc to interupt the caster.

Hope this helps alittle

You cant stealth when you have hunters mark / ferie fire debuffs on you. Also any damaging dots/bleeds will take you out of stealth if you vanish.

Is it worth re-speccing like that though because i only play BG's occassionally or would it also be useful for quests and dungeons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

well, once you get to lvl 50 it will be, your current spec, you have talents in imp sinster strike and in 30% bonus crit to backstab/mutilate. So your already wasting points as you shouldnt really be using both.

Besides, you shouldnt really be using daggers if you want to level efficently (Not until level 50) but im sure you're managing fine.

Assination is great for leveling imo, can kill almost any mob without it touching you thanks to sealed fate (double combo points per crit)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

If you intend on doing plenty of PVP then definitley respec. ALso you can get dual-spec which will be handy for switchign when levelling.

But yes to respec would be the best option as you are missing out on small but important bonuses to your ability to stun, crit, increase dmg, dots, etc etc..

Advertisement