Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 3 Series - Cannot turn off Cruise Control!

• 29-03-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I just bought a 2004 BMW 3 Series 316 I E46 ES 04DR.

All is good, aside from a green light on the dash signifing Cruise Control is on. In the middle gears the car feels a little odd.

The car's manual tells me that while the car is stop/start and cornering, Cruise Control is inadvisable. That's exactly how the car feels...

That said, the manual says to turn OFF the Cruise Control, I must hit "the button" on the steering wheel repeatidly.

There is a custom M kit on the car - the steering wheel is part of the package. I've seen other BMWs with sets of buttons on the wheel itself - these are missing from the custom stering wheel.

Anyone tell me if I'm missing anything? how do you turn off the Cruise Control?! I simply can't find a button to do the job!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you saying that the light for cruise control is on, but you have no buttons on the steering wheel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

eoin wrote: »
    Are you saying that the light for cruise control is on, but you have no buttons on the steering wheel?

Exactly. I'm not interested in CC, so I asked for a quick fix solution. I've been advised by the garage that they wil remove the cruise control fuse in question and that should remedy the problem.

I'm fine with this - Would you agree this is ok to do as a solution? If I bring it to Joe Duffy, he'll fleece me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Remove the fuse yourself... Was the cruise control light on when you git the car.. I noticed you mentioned on Bmw-driver.net that the MFSW was removed for a sport wheel.. Could that be the cause.. no termination.. ie no button?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd imagine fitting the proper steering wheel would solve the problem, along with giving you cc and increasing your resale value slightly.

Can you put back the original?

As JHMEG says, why not see if you can get a steering wheel fitted? If the car is all wired up, then it's a very easy job. There are two wires in the steering wheel. One runs around it, connecting both sets of buttons, and then a wire from there that clips into a lead that comes out from the steering column.
    sticker wrote:
    In the middle gears the car feels a little odd.

The car's manual tells me that while the car is stop/start and cornering, Cruise Control is inadvisable. That's exactly how the car feels...

Unless cruise control is actually engaged (as opposed to be being turned on), then there should be absolutely no effect to the car's driving. There is no light in the dash to indicate if it's on or engaged.

So your car just isn't driving very well, or it's acting very strangely because the proper steering wheel isn't there. Either way I'd have it checked out. CC should turn off when the car is turned off, and not be turned on again until the button is pressed, so something isn't right.

A good independent mechanic should be able to sort you out. Try Chelmsford Motors or AC Car sales perhaps.

• Advertisement

Remove the fuse yourself... Was the cruise control light on when you git the car.. I noticed you mentioned on Bmw-driver.net that the MFSW was removed for a sport wheel.. Could that be the cause.. no termination.. ie no button?

I bought the car yesteerday with the M wheel. No sign of the origional. Seeing as I don't want the CC, and all I'll be getting is a set of volume controls, it might not be worth my while...

I assume the cost to replace and install would be fairly heavy too...

As JHMEG says, why not see if you can get a steering wheel fitted? If the car is all wired up, then it's a very easy job. There are two wires in the steering wheel. One runs around it, connecting both sets of buttons, and then a wire from there that clips into a lead that comes out from the steering column.

Unless cruise control is actually engaged (as opposed to be being turned on), then there should be absolutely no effect to the car's driving. There is no light in the dash to indicate if it's on or engaged.

So your car just isn't driving very well, or it's acting very strangely because the proper steering wheel isn't there. Either way I'd have it checked out. CC should turn off when the car is turned off, and not be turned on again until the button is pressed, so something isn't right.

A good independent mechanic should be able to sort you out. Try Chelmsford Motors or AC Car sales perhaps.

Thanks Eoin - The cars driving is spot on - My wife thinks I'm imagining things! I just feel it's a little sluggish in the middle gears.

Relating to your last paragraph, I wanted to settle my mind with the overal health of the car - Joe Duffy offer a €65 safety inspection. Obviously no work is done, but it sounded like a good option to see if three were any gremlins in the car.

Would those other garages you mention be worth looking at? It's been suggested if work needs doing - especially electronic - the main dealers are the only place to go. Heavy on the expense though!

Thanks for the post neilthefunkeone - I'm not technically literate to do the job myself - Bull > Ditch!

sticker wrote:
    Would those other garages you mention be worth looking at? It's been suggested if work needs doing - especially electronic - the main dealers are the only place to go. Heavy on the expense though!

I use AC Cars and have been happy with them. They fitted cruise control for me in my BMW - including the wiring loom into the engine bay, so a lot more work than your car needs.

I have no idea what a "safety inspection" would be. It could just be an inspection of the tyres and brakes for all we know.This time last year, €65 would get you about 30 mins of labour. So unless they've changed their rates, I don't know if I would expect electrical gremlins to be looked at.

Personally I'd much rather cruise control and steering wheel stereo controls. Even when I wasn't using the motorway all the time, I used cruise control quite a lot. It's very handy for those dual carriageways with low speed limits that attract the speed traps.

I use AC Cars and have been happy with them. They fitted cruise control for me in my BMW - including the wiring loom into the engine bay, so a lot more work than your car needs.

I have no idea what a "safety inspection" would be. It could just be an inspection of the tyres and brakes for all we know.This time last year, €65 would get you about 30 mins of labour. So unless they've changed their rates, I don't know if I would expect electrical gremlins to be looked at.

Personally I'd much rather cruise control and steering wheel stereo controls. Even when I wasn't using the motorway all the time, I used cruise control quite a lot. It's very handy for those dual carriageways with low speed limits that attract the speed traps.

Joer Duffy tell me the inspection takes 90 minutes to complete. I know it sounds madness for a BMW dealer - as you said 30 minutes labour. I might just check again to make sure its a full test and not just tyres etc as you suggest. I'll contact those other garages also.

Thanks for all the help - I'll post back how I get on... I will investigate the CC option with the other garages.

EDIT: Anyone know of a good dealer in the Clonee/D15 area for BMW work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

sticker wrote: »
    I just feel it's a little sluggish in the middle gears.

Well you did say it's a 316i OP:)!

I'd go with what the others said, cruise is one of those things you only miss when you go back to a car that doesn't have it - it is ideal for motorways and for just pottering along without having to worry about breaking the speed limit.

Get a standard BMW MFSW fitted instead if at all possible!

Sign up to www.bmw-driver.net/forum - There are a good few people from D15 on that forum, and I'm pretty sure there have been recommendations for a mechanic in that neck of the woods.

Sign up to www.bmw-driver.net/forum - There are a good few people from D15 on that forum, and I'm pretty sure there have been recommendations for a mechanic in that neck of the woods.

I already have Eoin. I have a miror thread asking for advise there. Looks like a great spot.

That said - great support here too! Many thanks all! :)

EDIT: Just on the legal thing - can anyone verify that a used car to a private sale requires a 3 month warranty BY LAW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

The thread title reminded me of this guy:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4796264.stm

Absolutely no warranty on a private sale Sticker. It's buyer beware. If you were told outright lies, and could prove it, then you'd have some recourse.

milltown wrote: »
    The thread title reminded me of this guy:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/4796264.stm

Absolutely no warranty on a private sale Sticker. It's buyer beware. If you were told outright lies, and could prove it, then you'd have some recourse.

Thanks for that reassuring post milltown!

Advertisement