Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDR experiment with the buying public.

• 29-03-2010 10:56pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've no opinion on HDR but I am curious as to what it can do to enhance a photo and what results this has on a general buying public. We can all guffaw or applaud on here because we know when an image is over eggged but what about people that don't know anything about photography but want to buy a picture?
    I've tried downloading a trial of HDR but it got too confusing, also it would take me a lot of time to figure out how to use something that I know I'd never use. Not because I don't like the effect but what I know now with regards to compiling a pic does me just fine. I've no real interest in photography and absolutely none in the science of PP. HDR may not be that in reality but it is in my mind and that's grand, I've other things to think about.

Anyhoooows I'd like to see if there's a difference between the buying public's reaction to a HDR treated image and a none treated version. So I've got this photo that I've had hanging in my gallery for nearly two weeks and no one's bought it. Well I've shifted over 50 small pics of it but none in framed A4 version. The pic is sitting too flat in my opinion but before I take it down I'd like to have a HDR version to pop up in its place and hang it for the same period of time...just to see.

Now I'm aware it is in fact a HDR effect I'm looking for because HDR is 3 yaddah yadda yaddah blah blah blah. But my basic thinking is that if it looks HDR then it is HDR in the same way that if a pic looks like a tea bag then it's sepia.

So I was wondering if anyone wanted to try doing a HDR effect on the pic below? If so I'd greatly appreciate as it would assuage my curiosity about how people that are not into photography see a HDR image.

This is the pic: (the highest res of it (1840x1232) should be retrievable from my pix.ie site I think).
    Any takers?

D3DDB19C401E4F08990F58F85EB2E998-800.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Got a direct link?

Edit
    http://pix.ie/craanc/1569323/size/0

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Eh...so does that edit mean you've found a direct link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

humberklog wrote: »
    Eh...so does that edit mean you've found a direct link?

yes he has posted al link to largest format of that image.

"I've no real interest in photography and absolutely none in the science of PP."

Surely that can't be right ?? No real interest in photography :p:p:eek:

Jayzuz that's deadly LS, thanks a lot. I'll run up a print of it in a day or two and see how it goes. I think your version's better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

quick experiment;

Not overcooked HDR, but semi-HDR look all the same.

twojk.th.jpg
    http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7560/twojk.jpg

Chorcai wrote: »

Surely that can't be right ?? No real interest in photography :p:p:eek:

No, really I don't. Funny as it sounds but it just is.

Surr just stick the cheque in the post :D:D

No, really I don't. Funny as it sounds but it just is.

Lucky you ! I mean that in a good way, photography comes easy to you. BTW where is your stuff on display ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Here's another option for ya'
    CC434E0FC5FD42B08BB214780E7082E4-1200.jpg

• Advertisement

@ Honer: thanks a lot. I'd veer away from the b=w version as I want to keep that panel colour and for the colour version I can only see an 800xsomething version and can't pull it off your flickr site either.

@ Longshanks...pints all 'round...but it's gotta sell!!:pac:

@Chocai: permanent gallery in George's Arcade (still a lot of work and stock to be sorted and done but slowly catchy monkey etc.) and fly sell in Temple Bar and pop up in a few cafes too.

Nice one JD, I'll print up both and see how they hold up on paper.

I like giving you little jobs and keeping you busy :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

@ Honer: thanks a lot. I'd veer away from the b=w version as I want to keep that panel colour and for the colour version I can only see an 800xsomething version and can't pull it off your flickr site either.

twojk.th.jpg
    http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7560/twojk.jpg
    full size there :)

Bingobongo Honer.

So we got original;
    D3DDB19C401E4F08990F58F85EB2E998-800.jpg

Longshanks

4F03C7A1AFBE418E838EF8016BBB6DD9-800.jpg

Sliding's

D5FC329E94B94F1FA5D8D854CB8E5B0E-800.jpg

Honer's

9F811DDED93A4B238C9D8F3FFC366CBC-800.jpg

And Honer's that I played around with a little

78A0AD5B37434435B9DAE1537F66B909-800.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Yes!! A HDR thread! I get to use my new catch-all reply:

hdr.jpg

Personally I think all are better than original. Sky's a bit glum in LS and SI's. Not your fault now just is. Interesting too to see peoples take on it. Defo better than original.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Here's my effort for what it's worth. I didn't really HDR it though.

I think the original is kind of lacking in contrast, and as a result, depth, but I think also from a composition point of view there's a lot of stuff going on at the edges of the frame that are distracting, so I tried to tidy some of those up for you. Also I did some distortion correction so the buildings verticals are straight from front to back of the frame. ;)

14873674121835.gif

@Arciphel, thanks.

Oh I wouldn't be too keen on the image really but it's a handy one to have in the arsenal if you know what I mean. Do have to say though that the ambulance and bits and odds and ends were about the only thing I liked in it:pac:. Oh and when I'm framing up I always have the choice to drop that stuff below the mount, tried it a few ways and always go back to having the ambulances in.

"The ambulance stays in the picture".

I think it works well as a tilt shift fake too. No ambulance there though :pac::pac:

76f97274123275.gif

• Advertisement

Arciphel wrote: »
    I think it works well as a tilt shift fake too. No ambulance there though :pac::pac:

76f97274123275.gif
    Tilt shift:confused:

Where's my bloody ambulance!!!

That's like having catamarans of the eyes.

Best reply ever Humberklog!!! - "That's like having catamaran's of the eyes." :)

1.jpg

Best reply ever Humberklog!!! - "That's like having catamaran's of the eyes." :)

1.jpg

Yeah but gotta give the credit to Steve Coogan.

SC: She had catamarans of the eyes.
    Other: You mean Cataracts?
    SC: No a boat hit her when she was out swimming.

Quality! I'd say he loves a bit of HDR

alan%20partridge.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Some great results, esp the coogan one! Perhaps you should hang that one up Humberklog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

...if it looks HDR then it is HDR in the same way that if a pic looks like a tea bag then it's sepia

this is the sentiment i find myself screaming at whenever those ''it IS HDR/no it's not HDR ya big eejit'' and ''HDR is lovely/no it's not it's shoite'' debates come up every so often here :rolleyes:

i'd be interested in the outcome of the experiment though, i see what ya mean about the image being flat. i would reckon the average customer won't give two highland craps HOW it's done, just that maybe the image has more PUNCH. or something.

artyeva wrote: »
    this is the sentiment i find myself screaming at whenever those ''it IS HDR/no it's not HDR ya big eejit'' and ''HDR is lovely/no it's not it's shoite'' debates come up every so often here :rolleyes:

i'd be interested in the outcome of the experiment though, i see what ya mean about the image being flat. i would reckon the average customer won't give two highland craps HOW it's done, just that maybe the image has more PUNCH. or something.

Yeah it'll be interesting too to see how HDR prints out. I'm going to print up Longshanks and Honer's re-touched one first and see how they look, decide on best one and pop it up on the wall.

Should be hanging by Wednesday.

It's good fun being able to do it. Best job ever.

...if it looks HDR then it is HDR in the same way that if a pic looks like a tea bag then it's sepia

• Advertisement

Quality! I'd say he loves a bit of HDR

Why did I look at this before I went to bed... wont be able to sleep right now !! THANKS !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I reckon you'll have to go completely OTT to provide any interesting data. Totally overcooked. A complete broiler. However I think that your eventual results will be depressing for all right-minded (ie those that hate HDR) people. It'll probably sell like hotcakes. To paraphrase H.L. Mencken, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

An edit done through Topaz Adjust...

284EA613A61D4EA6BF452DDCE9C246B9-800.jpg

Nforce wrote: »
    An edit done through Topaz Adjust...

Moar ! MOAR !!!

Moar ! MOAR !!!

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

The Sky, it does not like HDR !! :eek:
    It thinks it's 'Highly Dangerous Radioactivity' :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Very interesting.

Keep up posted what the general puclic has to say Humber.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Hi, you dont happen to have the raw file for this image do you?
    It's far easier to work with than a jpeg.

Here are a couple.

First one was made up of the 3 images, +1 0 -1 exposures.
    Second one has a tilt-shift style applied.

4E80D3C724EF4E80ACD9ECB4395F0635-800.jpg

9628BACE4182485885D9AD0B314BCE0B-800.jpg

DK32 wrote: »
    Hi, you dont happen to have the raw file for this image do you?
    It's far easier to work with than a jpeg.

I think it's scanned film

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

hence the uber grain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Out of interest what camera/lens was used for the shot, it looks nice and sharp

• Advertisement

To paraphrase H.L. Mencken, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the public.

Now that is no joke. The last few months have been a real eye opener.

@DK, as said there's no raw file as it is scanned film.

@Ghost train...eh...jayzuz it's a bit hard to explain the camera and when I googled it the whole internet just denied its very existence. It's a Fujinon zoom 38-115mm, fz-3000. All the setting are auto. Grand. It's a little cracker of a camera and I've pulled out some smashing snaps with it. Best present ever;).

@sNarah: well I'll be in printers first thing and pics will be hanging by 11. That said the very first sale this morning was that poxy pic!!! And not just one! Same guy paid up front for a 2nd (which he'll get tomorrow too). There's no accounting for and you'll never 2nd guess peoples taste.:pac:

@sNarah: well I'll be in printers first thing and pics will be hanging by 11. That said the very first sale this morning was that poxy pic!!! And not just one! Same guy paid up front for a 2nd (which he'll get tomorrow too). There's no accounting for and you'll never 2nd guess peoples taste.:pac:

You see ? Now look what you've gone and done. (Respect for rest of humanity) < (Respect for rest of humanity before I read that post above). :mad:

You see ? Now look what you've gone and done. (Respect for rest of humanity) < (Respect for rest of humanity before I read that post above). :mad:

How would it look done on a film strip?

B58A0C94A0224F40BA67C7D5E03C17C5-800.jpg

I can hear DQ's toeneils cutting into the soles of his Birkenstocks:pac::pac:.

I would be interested in seeing how this stuff react to the treatment if anyone was really, really, bored and wanted to hear the screams DQ above the rooftops of Rathmines.:D

I can hear DQ's toeneils cutting into the soles of his Birkenstocks:pac::pac:.

Sheesh, obviously my toenails wouldn't cut into the soles of my Birkenstocks because they'd be protected by the pair of white socks I'd be wearing with them :D

How would it look done on a film strip?

I would be interested in seeing how this stuff react to the treatment if anyone was really, really, bored and wanted to hear the screams DQ above the rooftops of Rathmines.:D

Let the screams begin!!! :eek::D

Nforce wrote: »
    Let the screams begin!!! :eek::D

Huh? Oh no I see now...Nforce while your pic was a stroke of genius I was thinking more about the image (Trinity) being done over in HDR.

:pac:

Not even I could be THAT cruel,HK!!:p

Although.....

Oh that's good nforce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

There's a FREE HDR program called QTPFSGUI (download here) if you want to try it humberklog. Of course if it works for you and you become very rich then naturally we would have a 'gentlemans agreement' where I would get 20% of the profits :p
    Doing a search there, I remember discussing it previously

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement