Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDR experiment with the buying public.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

There's a FREE HDR program called QTPFSGUI (download here) if you want to try it humberklog. Of course if it works for you and you become very rich then naturally we would have a 'gentlemans agreement' where I would get 20% of the profits :p

I presume the reciprocal is true also, that if necessary you'll pay 20% of his medical bills, right ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

reciprocal
    Mmmmm........I'll have my lawyers look into this straight away !

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sooooo the red car and the blue car had a race....

I framed an A4 version of honer's pic (with my touch of PP too) and no joy. I did frame 5x7 versions of both Longshanks and Honer's and let them do there thing...5-2 to Longshanks.

I'll pop Longshanks version in A4 into a frame in the morning and see how that goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Sterling scientific work you're doing there. :)

oshead wrote: »
    Sterling scientific work you're doing there. :)

Flat out in the lab Dave. Big Tefal head on me and graphs galore.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

OK, i'm gonna throw in my 2 cent.

HDRi images are generated by increasing the dynamic range of an image using several exposures. A minimum of 3 is usually required.

So, this begs the Q. How do you propose to generate anything like a proper HDR image with one flat 8bit image??

HDR images can look terrible or can look amazing. Depending on 1. the source images and, more importantly imho, 2. who is creating the image. Most over-cooked HDRi's are such because the person creating it doesn't know how to use either photoshop or photomatix pro correctly.

I have seen truly stunning results that any viewer would find hard to perceive how the image was created in the first place. I have also seen truly terrible ones that ruined a previously average photo. (most)

The image in question here could probably do with some simple enhancements to remove the washed out flat look to it. That's another thing and NOT HDR :-)

</ENDRANT>

Gr1f wrote: »

QUOTE]

No need (unless you just couldn't help yourself).

I'm painfully aware that there is a process to acheive a HDR image. However in my first post, fourth paragraph, I say I'm looking for HDR effect. That's more than enough for the pic, the experiment and way more than enough that my interest would hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Gr1f

humberklog wrote: »

QUOTE]

No need (unless you just couldn't help yourself).

I'm painfully aware that there is a process to acheive a HDR image. However in my first post, fourth paragraph, I say I'm looking for HDR effect. That's more than enough for the pic and way more than enough that my interest would hold.

latter!

I'm aware of your post. Just that HDR 'effect' is not really possible in a technical sense. Exposure blending on the other hand is.

Sorry if i sound pedantic it's just to me using the term HDR is incorrect in this context. It's not as if there aren't alternative terms to use that would/might result in a better image. :-)

Sorry if i sound pedantic it's just to me using the term HDR is incorrect in this context. It's not as if there aren't alternative terms to use that would/might result in a better image. :-)

It does and apology accepted.
    While there are alternative terms to use that may result in a better image likewise there are many other threads about HDR where your point is wanted and is relevant.

It's just a simple experiment that's all, where the request was taken up by a handful and I'm keeping them updated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Sooooo the red car and the blue car had a race....

I framed an A4 version of honer's pic (with my touch of PP too) and no joy. I did frame 5x7 versions of both Longshanks and Honer's and let them do there thing...5-2 to Longshanks.

I'll pop Longshanks version in A4 into a frame in the morning and see how that goes.
    Just catching up on the progress with this. Intresting results so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Goin in today to see Homber stuff. Im interested to see how those images printed out.

Well thanks to those that hdr'd the images.

Alas Monday rolled in too heavy for me to handle looking at that flipping image any more. It began to sap my strength by the end of last week then I had the whole weekend to really let it get to me in the brain. A heady mix of hangover, hayfever, tetchyness and unco-operative shop locks meant that as soon as I opened up yesterday I gave the pic a good toe in the hole. I couldn't help it, help myself. The image was fecking up the fen shui. I must add that it wasn't the HDR effect but the image composition as a whole. It's general schlock that I just don't want to be associated with and thankfully nor did any customers.

I still keep it in the back row of mounted 6"x4"'s where it can bobble about its daily business. It does get sold but thankfully I don't have to look at it.

Thanks again. My thinking on it over the weekend is: if I've taken a pic that I think could do with a gee-up in the HDR department to make it more appealing to the general public then I've taken a shot outside of my comfort zone and said image should be despatched to the bin.

But trying to sell stuff is a massive-big-big learning curve and this has been an excellent lesson.

Oh and good to meet your good self today Chorcai and indeed AR yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

Have to say I am really impress with your set up, in everyway ;) Simple, clean layout this cost X those cost y and all be it the short time I was there, you gave the customers a bit of banter, myself included. More success to humberklog.

I now have the moocow on my wall !

Pop up again Chorcai and we'll go for a few scoops after shutting up shop.

The cow is a fine addition to any household...if it's good enough for ---- then it's good enough for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

Humberklog - you should try Topaz adjust ...here is your photo fired through a preset , there are many presets that give a HDR type effect this is a moderate one, it takes 2 seconds and is a lot less complicated than producing and actual HDR

C8BD47C44DDC4BC3B49E1AB346B076C9.jpg

• Advertisement

Oh Trev the pic really is just wrong for my section of the gallery. It's just not my thing. I tried it out and it just didn't fit. I'm better leaving that sort of stuff to those that do that kind of thing.
    While it was hanging I felt uneasy and not just a little embarassed.

No worries at all , I understand where your coming from , just thought the plug in might give you an instant way of experimenting - each to their own and all that . Best of luck

I deleted it to save you from anymore anguish heh heh I meant well though :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I must pop in to see you sometime too, cant wait to see the set up, people here seem to like it.

On what you said about the comfort zone thing, I generally feel if I need to go back to an image a few times to make it right I'm just never going to like it so generally dont use them at all.

I really don't know what a RAW file is. I've seen it mentioned a lot on a lot of threads but I haven't got a scooby what it is.
    Either way the original image really isn't worth another attempt. It works fine in 6x4 mounted and stuck welllllll down the back.

Edit in here, someone was looking for a RAW file of the pic.

SMT drop by any time. I'm there personally Mon-Wed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

I did a little tweaking.. I think it looks nice.. probably similar to some of the others on here. It might be a bit too red.. not sure. :/

110861.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement