Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want a new car, what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Does 100 miles a day not seem like an insane commute to anyone else?

Depends if you like living in a nice place or not. :p
    I do 80miles a day in a 5.6l V12 Petrol (22mpg). Other half does nearer 100 in a 530i (27-30mpg). We can work from home if we want too, but I like to drive.

I dont do motorways either. Nothing like racing back roads with minimal traffic in the morning. To me, insanity is having a nice car and living in Dublin (did that before I got sense) and being unable to drive it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Depends if you like living in a nice place or not. :p
    I do 80miles a day in a 5.6l V12 Petrol (22mpg). Other half does nearer 100 in a 530i (27-30mpg). We can work from home if we want too, but I like to drive.

I dont do motorways either. Nothing like racing back roads with minimal traffic in the morning. To me, insanity is having a nice car and living in Dublin (did that before I got sense) and being unable to drive it.

You think like me!

If I'm going to be paying €1566 a year in tax a year I want to make use of it as well and not leave a nice machine that was meant to be driven parked up outside a flat 5 days a week :D

draffodx wrote: »
    You think like me!

If I'm going to be paying €1566 a year in tax a year I want to make use of it as well and not leave a nice machine that was meant to be driven parked up outside a flat 5 days a week :D

Absolutely! Also I would have a mental break down driving something sensible for such long stretches. A 3.0litre Diesel though as suggested is prolly the best compromise you are going to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Ok well depending on what car you choose. Are you looking for 90% excitment 10% relaxation or what?

Like you prefer the hot hatches & coupés over big cruisers. So, do you want something different and in between or do you want to keep closer to the fun side?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

What do you drive? :D

Nothing exciting: an S-Max diesel. The other car in the family is a Mini Cooper, which is a bit frenetic at 150 km/hr and doesn't have cruise control, air-con, a 6 CD MP3 changer, a heated windscreen or 1000 km range on a tank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

For that money Draffo, I would be looking at E36 M3's and keep the money left over for tax/insurance/general running costs.

You could buy a very well looked after example with that kind of money

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    For that money Draffo, I would be looking at E36 M3's and keep the money left over for tax/insurance/general running costs.

You could buy a very well looked after example with that kind of money

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2577184#

I dunno why but they dont do it for me, too old and look a bit outdated or something, can figure out why, my head says yes there nice but my heart doesn't agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

dont know if its been suggested

c32 amg
    3.2 V6 Kompressor/Supercharged 354BHP 331 lbft
    0-60mph in 4.6secs
    Top Speed 186mph if de-limited!

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1545565.htm

i will add....as well

mini one S-Works...........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

robtri wrote: »
    dont know if its been suggested

c32 amg
    3.2 V6 Kompressor/Supercharged 354BHP 331 lbft
    0-60mph in 4.6secs
    Top Speed 186mph if de-limited!

http://pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1545565.htm

Just showed that to my flatmate there now, he nearly came all over himself! he's looking to change his car later this year, he might be changing sooner... he's sent a text to the owner already!

Just showed that to my flatmate there now, he nearly came all over himself! he's looking to change his car later this year, he might be changing sooner... he's sent a text to the owner already!

yeah if had the money....i be having that myself......
    kleenex time it is :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

16K is bottom dollar for the Black 350Z in Fermoy ;)

without having to pay vrt its a bargain, if i didnt have to pay it them it'd be a race to see who got it :D
    vectra wrote: »
    16K is bottom dollar for the Black 350Z in Fermoy ;)

Thanks, over budget, one in Dublin with a nice few bits for €14k I might go have a look at

http://www.cbg.ie/Car_Detail.aspx?ID=2577184#

I dunno why but they dont do it for me, too old and look a bit outdated or something, can figure out why, my head says yes there nice but my heart doesn't agree
    Well...you know what my next suggestion will be I guess...EVO!!!

Well...you know what my next suggestion will be I guess...EVO!!!

Only for outrageous Open Market Selling Prices from Revenue leading to VRT being double what it actually should be I'd already have one

OK I've come up with a short list of cars

2003/2004 Honda Accord Euro R Cl7
    +
    Nice Looking, comfortable, bit of power, decent mpg
    -
    Jap import, front wheel drive

2003 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    +
    powerful, 4 wheel drive
    -
    High insurance, high running cost, low mpg

2003 Nissan 350z
    +
    love how it looks, good handling, V6
    -
    High tax, only 2 seats, only 276bhp from a 3.5l lump

2006 Opel Astra OPC
    +Cheapest one, looks good, is understated, best all rounder?

-
    Front wheel drive

Anybody got anything to add to the plus/negatives of each car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Unless you have a house full of Rottweilers and don't mind surprise guests than it would be the Astra for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

For me itd have to be the euro r its the best looking, most practical and you cant go wrong with a honda bombproof buil quality and good resale value.

But thats just me id wouldnt give the rest of that bunch a second thoughtcomapred to a euro r, for me the only downside o the euro r is you loose a lot of the comforts you get in a standard accord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

For me itd have to be the euro r its the best looking, most practical and you cant go wrong with a honda bombproof buil quality and good resale value.

But thats just me id wouldnt give the rest of that bunch a second thoughtcomapred to a euro r, for me the only downside o the euro r is you loose a lot of the comforts you get in a standard accord.

No you don't?

Recaro interior is damn comfy!

No you don't?

Recaro interior is damn comfy!

Ah yeh i know the seats might be comfy. but the lil extras like controls on the steering wheel etc just superficial things really. nothing major.

Like i said id pick the euro r over any of the other without a shadow of doubt.

• Advertisement

The Euro R is probably the front runner at the minute, negatives about it are its a big car and I've no need for a big car at the minute, Jap import so getting insurance on it is that bit more difficult and it feels like it could be a step backwards in terms of handling & performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Wouldn't the Accord be a step back from what you have now? Similar power but heavier, less eager body? Still only FWD?

The only reason to go for the Accord would be if you need the space, which you don't.

I wouldn't make any hasty (expensive) decisions if I were you. Looks to me like your Integra is serving you well, maybe keep it for another while until you can get / afford something that is a real step up :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Going back in years, but check out a slightly upgraded 300ZX... I was looking at 400bhp for 7 grand a while back. If that kinda power thru the back wheels is of concern there's the GTO/3000GT.

2003 Nissan 350z
    +
    love how it looks, good handling, V6
    -
    High tax, only 2 seats, only 276bhp from a 3.5l lump

Anybody got anything to add to the plus/negatives of each car?
    Out of your list Im voting 350z! ;)
    Add in + its RWD and + its got an LSD from Factory. And kinda plus the MPG is kinda ok too. Also 2 seats means it can apparently be registered as a commercial (see other thread) so minimal tax, but thats a whole other story.

The Astra OPC, sorry just think its way out of place in that list. Afaik not as good as other hot hatches and doesnt hold a candle to actual sport coupes. Its a jumped up middle of the road hatchback afterall.

The Accord is a nice compromise, but its significantly down on power compared to the Z car and massively down on torque (the 3.5 may "only" get near 280bhp, but displacement brings torque too, its got nearly 100ft/lbs more than the Accord). Again, one is a sports car, the other is a sports tuned daily driver. One could spin the stats, the Accord is as close to 200bhp as the 350z is to 300bhp..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

There are some nice lotus elise's kicking around either that or a vx220, lose a bit on hp but you get it where it matters and handles like a go cart.

unkel wrote: »
    Wouldn't the Accord be a step back from what you have now? Similar power but heavier, less eager body? Still only FWD?

The only reason to go for the Accord would be if you need the space, which you don't.

I wouldn't make any hasty (expensive) decisions if I were you. Looks to me like your Integra is serving you well, maybe keep it for another while until you can get / afford something that is a real step up :D

exactly my thinking on the Accord, Integra is already sold
    JHMEG wrote: »
    Going back in years, but check out a slightly upgraded 300ZX... I was looking at 400bhp for 7 grand a while back. If that kinda power thru the back wheels is of concern there's the GTO/3000GT.

I done research on the GTO's awhile back and there not for me, same with the 300zx
    Out of your list Im voting 350z! ;)
    Add in + its RWD and + its got an LSD from Factory. And kinda plus the MPG is kinda ok too. Also 2 seats means it can apparently be registered as a commercial (see other thread) so minimal tax, but thats a whole other story.

The Astra OPC, sorry just think its way out of place in that list. Afaik not as good as other hot hatches and doesnt hold a candle to actual sport coupes. Its a jumped up middle of the road hatchback afterall.

The Accord is a nice compromise, but its significantly down on power compared to the Z car and massively down on torque (the 3.5 may "only" get near 280bhp, but displacement brings torque too, its got nearly 100ft/lbs more than the Accord). Again, one is a sports car, the other is a sports tuned daily driver. One could spin the stats, the Accord is as close to 200bhp as the 350z is to 300bhp..

I know of an OPC at a VERY good price which has made me consider one, researching them at the minute and reviews seem to be of a similar opinion to yours.

I doubt the 350z can be taxed as a commercial as standard? if it could then they'd all be taxed as commercials?
    Viper_JB wrote: »
    There are some nice lotus elise's kicking around either that or a vx220, lose a bit on hp but you get it where it matters and handles like a go cart.

I'd love either but I wouldn't be able to live with either as a daily driver

• Advertisement

I doubt the 350z can be taxed as a commercial as standard? if it could then they'd all be taxed as commercials?

Do a search for the thread by Vertakill, its a bit of effort as you have yearly DOEs instead of NCTs. But technically it meets the min criteria to be a commercial.

Do a search for the thread by Vertakill, its a bit of effort as you have yearly DOEs instead of NCTs. But technically it meets the min criteria to be a commercial.

good read that thread but i'd be stung using the car for non commercial purposes as thats all it would be used for :D

You'd be mad to take the Euro R over that black OPC, it's a serious bargain, more power and a Turbo, the two things you need after the Teg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭5500

I dont think a Euro R is a step back in anyway in comparison to a teg! Have you had a good drive of one yet? I went from a Dc2 to one and I cant think of anyway that the Dc2 was a much better car imo. Yes there big car's but there 1million times more comfy than the teg, I used to actually hate the Dc2's interior with a passion it was pre historic!

The only noticeable difference I found with handling was the rear could kick out on the accord easy enough in corners if being pushed hard, but for the amount of times your ever going to see a track ect with the car I wouldnt let it be a point of concern. Other than that Imo its a far far better car than the Dc2

• Advertisement

You'd be mad to take the Euro R over that black OPC, it's a serious bargain, more power and a Turbo, the two things you need after the Teg!

Bit concerned about the handling of the OPC some mixed reviews about how it handles 240bhp through the front wheels!
    eireal wrote: »
    I dont think a Euro R is a step back in anyway in comparison to a teg! Have you had a good drive of one yet? I went from a Dc2 to one and I cant think of anyway that the Dc2 was a much better car imo. Yes there big car's but there 1million times more comfy than the teg, I used to actually hate the Dc2's interior with a passion it was pre historic!

The only noticeable difference I found with handling was the rear could kick out on the accord easy enough in corners if being pushed hard, but for the amount of times your ever going to see a track ect with the car I wouldnt let it be a point of concern. Other than that Imo its a far far better car than the Dc2

Thanks for that good to get someones opinion when they've made the same move

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Have to say, if it was my money, I'd be heading straight for the 350Z.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

CianRyan wrote: »

+1

Absurdum wrote: »
    +1

€1566 a year to tax and will be practically sale proof though :(

If you put the effort in for the commercial tax that'd solve the problem.
    Tbh man, I know a few lads driving with commercial tax and they haven't any intention to use the cars for anything but personal use.

I reckon the majority of commercial cars are in the same boat.

Not condoning anything illegal now, just giving you something to think about.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

What are your feelings towards classics Draff? Or did I miss that part of the thread?

He wants something 2003+ but I guess classics would be another story all together.
    Every one likes a wild card, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm thinking more along the lines of €8k on a work commuter and remainder on a classic kinda deal.

Seeing as he's over 25 and it wouldn't be his main car the insurance on the classic should be peanuts. Granted you'd have twice as much maintenance/tax/nct/petrol etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I'd of course cast my #1 vote to the 350Z.

It's quite a bit different than most of the other cars mentioned here but it's just so completely the opposite direction to the ITR in nearly every way that I'd definitely take everything into consideration if I were you.

I went from the Celica VVTLi to the Z and while I'd recommend the Celica to anyone, I wouldn't see it as an upgrade from the ITR. It looks better imo, but handling/power is probably tipped toward the ITR and they're just so similar in what they do that I wouldn't bother with the hassle for a very similar experience to what you just had in the ITR.

My 2nd vote would be for a Euro R. But, in saying that, if I was coming from an ITR (or any other moderately sized high revving engine), I'd be looking further a field than another FWD Honda. But that's just me.

• Advertisement

That looks like very good advice to the OP. The Nissan 350Z is a serious step up from tiny engined FWD Hondas. If you are about to take the next step, draffodx, ask yourself if you have a problem with the motor tax. If you do, stick with the small engines. If you are ready for the next step (with the higher motor tax), there's a lot more out there :cool:

Sure once you hit €1.5k it's all the same right?
    A few years under my belt and I'll be in the big engine zone.

I'll cut back on other luxuries if I have too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Why wait? The country needs your money now more than ever! :D

Vertakill wrote: »

Now there's bloody encouragement! :p

Sure once you hit €1.5k it's all the same right?

It's the other way around :D

Once you hit the starting point of serious performance, the motor tax is a flat rate €1.5k. That tax would be the same for an oldish just over 3l 200BHP engine. And the same yet again for an 8l 64V 1000BHP Veyron :D:D:D

It's the other way around :D

Once you hit the starting point of serious performance, the motor tax is a flat rate €1.5k. That tax would be the same for an oldish just over 3l 200BHP engine. And the same yet again for an 8l 64V 1001BHP Veyron :D:D:D

That's what I meant.

Tbh, I love knowing that no matter how mad I get, I won't have to REALLY worry about motor tax.
    €1.5k is a good lump of cash, yeah... But if it gets me from 0-60 is -4 seconds, I'll happily pay it! :D:D

Edit: FYP ;)

Vertakill wrote: »
    Now there's bloody encouragement! :p

I need my money more than ever too though! :p
    That looks like very good advice to the OP. The Nissan 350Z is a serious step up from tiny engined FWD Hondas. If you are about to take the next step, draffodx, ask yourself if you have a problem with the motor tax. If you do, stick with the small engines. If you are ready for the next step (with the higher motor tax), there's a lot more out there :cool:

That pretty much sums it up, I want to take the next step up from small engined FWD cars but the question remains in my head whether I should.

Tax & Insurance on the 350z would equate to €3000 for me to start with which is two months wages at the minute, so I would essentially have to take €3k out of my budget for the car to cover that leaving my budget struggling to find a nice 350z.

So the best financial option would be to keep tax down and insurance around the same level I'm at right now (<€1000).

So that leaves petrol cars in the engine size range 1.8 - 2.5, and I'm finding some nice cars in that range but nothing within budget that makes me go "yeh I want one of them and thats it!"

I'd get shot if I started a new thread so:

Narrowed the scope:-

2000+
    RWD/4WD
    Coupe
    No Convertibles
    >200bhp
    <2.5 Engine size
    <€14000

Not White or Yellow
    And Dont mention Rx8's I have them well and truly researched

What about a mazda 6 mps?

Had a look around none for your pric range at the momment but could be worth waiting for, plus i remember a few weeks ago there was a thread one here about service history by someone who was selling a mazda 6 mps soon could be worth looking it up.

• Advertisement

What about a mazda 6 mps?

Had a look around none for your pric range at the momment but could be worth waiting for, plus i remember a few weeks ago there was a thread one here about service history by someone who was selling a mazda 6 mps soon could be worth looking it up.

Thats not a coupe! :D

Advertisement