Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Lads, your lights are flickering because the high winds are blowing trees against power lines in your area which grounds the electricity for a moment, causing the flicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

This is not going to plan at all, where is my snow day tomorrow!!
    Jaysus there will be work breaking out all over the place if this keeps up :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Heard that its snowing heavy in south kilkenny at the moment.

So they got an unwanted present from north of the county....we're still trying to get rid of it..... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Latest reports from Ireland (Temp/DP)

Airports

Dublin
    3/3 Light Rain and Drizzle
    Shannon 3/2 Light Rain
    Cork 4/1 Light Rain Shower
    Knock 2/1 Light Sleet
    Belfast Aldergrove 1/0 Moderate snow
    Belfast City 3/2 Heavy Rain
    Derry Eglington 3/2 Moderate Rain
    Donegal 4/1
    Sligo 4/1
    Waterford 3/2 Light Rain and Drizzle

Other Met Éireann Stations (8pm)

Belmullet 6/2 Light Rain Shower
    Ballyhaise 1/0 Light Snow
    Casement 3/3 Light Rain
    Claremorris 3/1
    Finner 3/2
    Gurteen 1/1 Moderate Rain
    Johnstown Castle 2/1 Light Rain
    Mace Head 5/3 Recent Rain
    Malin Head 3/2 Light Rain
    Mullingar 1/1 Light Snow
    Oak Park 0/-0 Light Snow
    Roches Point 6/3 Light Rain Shower
    Sherkin Island 6/3 Light Rain Shower
    Valentia 7/1 Recent Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

I think reading this thread is causing the lights to flicker ours were fine until I read about everyone else having flickering lights :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

lights flickering here and the winds just broke my gate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »

Things have just turned here, wind increased steadily from the north with mod rain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Vudgie wrote: »
    It is so wet here in d16. Wind has picked up but it has been heavy rain for the last hour. Not very likely for any potential snow to stick even if it does come.

It will, its very heavy, everywhere was wet here and you would think the wet was superglue the way it stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Lads, your lights are flickering because the high winds are blowing trees against power lines in your area which grounds the electricity for a moment, causing the flicker.

Does that explanation work for TCD in the middle of Dublin 2?

In other news, I'm glad to hear reports of snow being able to stick on wet ground. I speculated yesterday that snow will have no problems once temperatures drop to about zero. It can snow at 2 degrees but it'll be nigh on impossible for it to stick.

I shall be heading for Louth now, hopefully no interruptions will come to the power supply or my journey! And if the power goes, well man created car batteries for a reason:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Winds are yet to get going here at all though, been calm all evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭dasa29

Here are a few photos from mullingar taken between 17:20 and 18:00 enjoy. the lights have been flickering here to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

yea and that met office are gonna be in some trouble tomorrow!:mad: At least the mountain will have over 1 foot of snow on it tomorrow.. im gonna leave here and goto my aunts house in the snow..

There seems to be milder air still in the mix, my DP has risen by about 1.5 in the last hour and the snizzle has turned back to drizzle.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

There seems to be milder air still in the mix, my DP has risen by about 1.5 in the last hour and the snizzle has turned back to drizzle.

Shizzle :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

will the dps ever go below 0c tonight?

Temp took a little jump here too but back on the way down now

OutsideTempHistory.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

trogdor wrote: »
    Winds are yet to get going here at all though, been calm all evening

I was just about to say that - not a breeze here. TV just went off & back on.....

Temperature is rising quite sharply here, now up to 4.9C/3.5C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Very interesting Maq, I didn't know that! I do now though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: 1.0 °C
    Dew Point: 0.7 °C

Been raining and blustery most of the day, but has been blizzard conditions the last hour or so. Big snow flakes, starting to settle on grass and on cars, fighting a battle against the wet though. Wind making it stick to the sides of walls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bray man

hellboy99 wrote: »
    lights flickering here and the winds just broke my gate :(

lights flickering here aswell, is that the wind:confused:

Lets hope this is temporary, I'm encouraged by t|nt|n's chart. Have to say I'm rapidly running out of confidence of any snow settling here, down at sea level near the coast i think its time to forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yep as expected a bubble of milder temps as the centre of low pushes south.. look here;

Around Now;

6-101.GIF?30-12

6-574.GIF?30-12

Midnight

12-101.GIF?30-12

12-574.GIF?30-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Am 95% sure it'll snow in Dublin tonight. Temperatures, wetness of ground and DPs are not an issue, they'll drop as precipitation arrives and the colder uppers wrap around it. I'm going to bed, alarm set for 00:30...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lights flickering here too - no wind here.

Good man WC, my hopes are raised once again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Snowing now in South Kilkenny

Thanks WC:) i still don't like watching it rise though :pac: 5.0C/3.7C now

Lets hope this is temporary, I'm encouraged by t|nt|n's chart. Have to say I'm rapidly running out of confidence of any snow settling here, down at sea level near the coast i think its time to forget it.

Disclaimer: I stole someone else's chart lol !! Just down the road from me though !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I think it's temporary alright. Was 3.1c here half an hour ago and calm. Now north wind has set in temp has dropped to 2.3c now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement