Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe winter storm- Severe Blizzards and Heavy Snow this evening/night - Take Action

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lights flickering here too, very windy,wild outside with light rain, snow from earlier gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

North wind set in here and getting stormy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

despite what everyone is saying, in this part of south kilkenny, its very windy, pouring rain absolutely miserable but no sign of any snow . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Just had a quick at a few rain radars online and the precipitation now seesm to be moving towards the East coast as predicted.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Id love some snow, but the ground is soaked, if there is any chance of snow it would need to be super heavy for it to take affect.

Weathercheck - where are you located ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Erm guys, how strong is this wind expected to become . . . ?

A neighbour of mine has a very dodgy window that you cant close and the wind is catching it, and Im actually very worried that it will blow out!:eek:

Also, lights starting to flicker here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

yep as expected a bubble of milder temps as the centre of low pushes south.. look here;

Around Now;

6-101.GIF?30-12

6-574.GIF?30-12

Midnight

12-101.GIF?30-12

12-574.GIF?30-12

by the time dps drop will the rain sleet etc have left here..?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I think it's temporary alright. Was 3.1c here half an hour ago and calm. Now north wind has set in temp has dropped to 2.3c now.

Thats exactly what I wanted to hear !
    Now lets get that precip south!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Snow on the way, Bayern score... this is great !!!:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Supercell wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear !
    Now lets get that precip south!

Looks like its starting to move south now fairly quickly after stalling for a couple of hours.

2.1c now. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

9pm

Airports

Dublin
    2/2 Light Rain and Drizzle
    Casement 2/2 Light Rain
    Shannon 3/2 Light Rain
    Cork 3/1 Light Rain Shower
    Knock 2/0
    Belfast Aldergrove 1/0 Moderate snow
    Belfast City 2/2 Moderate Sleet
    Derry Eglington 3/2 Moderate Rain
    Donegal 4/1
    Sligo 4/1
    Waterford 2/1 Moderate Rain and Drizzle

Other Met Éireann Stations

Belmullet 6/1 Recent Rain
    Ballyhaise 1/0 Light Snow
    Claremorris 3/1
    Finner 3/1
    Gurteen 1/1 Light Sleet
    Johnstown Castle 1/0 Light Sleet
    Mace Head 6/2 Recent Drizzle
    Malin Head 3/2 Light Rain
    Mullingar 1/1 Light Snow
    Oak Park 0/0 Light Snow
    Roches Point 5/3 Light Rain Shower
    Sherkin Island 6/2 Recent Snow Shower (dodgy?)
    Valentia 7/1 Recent Rain

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Erm guys, how strong is this wind expected to become . . .

A neighbour of mine has a very dodgy window that you cant close and the wind is catching it, and Im actually very worried that it will blow out and fall to the street below!:eek:

Also, lights starting to flicker here.

Winds in Dublin area should peak around 1am. Could see 70 to 80 kmph sustained winds with higher gusts.

w1269993600.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Outta nowhere - gale force winds , sleety rain - But temps a ridiculous 4.9 dp3.5 :mad:

Supercell wrote: »
    There seems to be milder air still in the mix, my DP has risen by about 1.5 in the last hour and the snizzle has turned back to drizzle.
    Ditto down here.
    T'was snowing earlier and now it's raining.

Lights have not flickered here at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

1.9c DP 1.9c now. DP is a bit dodgy! But at least 1.9c is better than the 3.1c and hour ago!

Correction 1.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Strong Winds and heavy rain down here in Co.Waterford In waterford city theres abit of snow appearntly And in tramore its heavy rain and winds

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

DOCARCH wrote: »
    1.9c DP 1.9c now. DP is a bit dodgy! But at least 1.9c is better than the 3.1c and hour ago!

Correction 1.8c

Yes temp falling now.

Dublin from 4c to 2c in last 2 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

crazy wind in Dalkey (very exposed to wind)

My bedroom lights just flickerd oh **** please electricity dont go off My brothers bedroom lights also flickerd earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

It's been snowing nonstop for nearly 4 hours now, mainly moderate with an odd heavier burst with very strong winds, cars and fields are covered in snow but quite slushy on the tarmac, hopefully the snow will keep going for at least another couple of hours:)

• Advertisement

Strong winds in Co.Waterford The temp is 3 Degrease outside it could be snowing anytime soon Wind is very strong at the moment lights have flickered

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It looks like an eyewall building in on the 982-984 mb contour to form a second band of snowfall for eastern as well as central Ireland, rather than a shift eastward. I predict (somewhat less than confidently) that it will be blowing snow in parts of Dublin by midnight or 0100 and this will continue for the rest of the night. It may accumulate in some higher parts of the city, and melt on contact in lower parts near sea level. This will be the case in other east coast locations too and snow will probably begin to accumulate inland as it has done all day in the central band.

Winds will increase rapidly to N 30-50 mph.

As it's the central band spreading to Carlow and Kilkenny, chances for snow there will improve during the night mainly due to a slight further reduction in temperatures in the lower levels. The rain-snow dividing temperature at the moment appears to be 1.5 C.

Snowing in Waterford City with strong wind! Was not expecting this! :eek:

Guys i just opened the window nearly got blown away by gale force winds I Think its snowing now aswell and raining the wind is blowing it everywere its unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

sleet now here, very windy

Its snowing sideways. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

It looks like an eyewall building in on the 982-984 mb contour to form a second band of snowfall for eastern as well as central Ireland, rather than a shift eastward. I predict (somewhat less than confidently) that it will be blowing snow in parts of Dublin by midnight or 0100 and this will continue for the rest of the night. It may accumulate in some higher parts of the city, and melt on contact in lower parts near sea level. This will be the case in other east coast locations too and snow will probably begin to accumulate inland as it has done all day in the central band.

Winds will increase rapidly to N 30-50 mph.

As it's the central band spreading to Carlow and Kilkenny, chances for snow there will improve during the night mainly due to a slight further reduction in temperatures in the lower levels. The rain-snow dividing temperature at the moment appears to be 1.5 C.

Thanks for the update.

Looks like we have several more inches of snow to come, it has been snowing for near three hours now, blizzard conditions worse than the January blizzard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Lights just flickered here 5 mins ago - nothing unusual when we get a bit of wind here, but odd that it is happening all around the country... don't know about a countrywide whiteout - but we could be in for a blackout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Snow has reached us here, with that wind its driving snow

• Advertisement

Oh great more snow! :( oh come its spring ughhh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement