Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shin Splints

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Has anyone got any miracle cures please ?! Seriously Ive mentioned it to my GP a few times over the years, he s suggested taking difene, panadol, before going out on walks, icing my legs after, nothing helps !

It can be extremely debilitating at times , ive heard sometimes special insoles can help ? Or any other suggestions !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

Has anyone got any miracle cures please ?! Seriously Ive mentioned it to my GP a few times over the years, he s suggested taking difene, panadol, before going out on walks, icing my legs after, nothing helps !

It can be extremely debilitating at times , ive heard sometimes special insoles can help ? Or any other suggestions !
    I initially got cheaper insoles as a teenager and then when my feet stopped growing, the measured-to-fit, full length, orthotics (=expensive insoles).

There are a couple of issues with full-length measured insoles (aka orthotics) I found but I don't know if they apply to everyone as I have flattish feet (width F/G): a lot of my existing footwear didn't fit and a lot of footwear on the market didn't fit (I'm male so these weren't thin/fancy shoes or anything). You are also supposed to train in to them so it's possibly not the best to keep switching from wearing them to not wearing them to wearing them i.e. if they didn't fit some footwear. They also make you a little taller - as a man, I had never really thought of wearing heels/anything to make me taller but reading all these studies, they say taller people are more attractive so probably not the worst thing for most people!

It helped my pain symptoms a bit but it turned out my muscle symptoms (incl. shin splints) were due to M.E. and when I cut back on my activity levels, the pains in my legs decreased dramatically.

Advertisement