Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible new pc

Options
  • 29-03-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

hey guys, would ye be so kind as to have a look as this set of specs and tell me is it going to be any good?

what will it run and how well? crysis? mw2? avp?

Case Xigmatek Asgard Mid-Tower Case

Graphics CardXFX ATI Radeon HD 4850 1024MB GDDR3 Graphics Card

Hard DriveSeagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB SATA-II 16MB Cache

MemoryPatriot Viper 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500C5 Dual Channel

Motherboard Asus M2N68-AM SE2 GeForce 7025 (Socket AM2+) DDR2 Motherboard

Optical DriveOcUK 22x DVD±RW SATA Dual Layer ReWriter

Power SupplyOCZ StealthXStream 400w Silent Power Supply

Processor AMD Phenom II X2 Dual Core 545 3.00GHz (Socket AM3)

Cooler AMD Black Edition Approved CPU Cooler

Sound CardHigh Definition 5.1 OnBoard Sound Card

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Graphics card is old and thirsty. What price would you be paying for it? Bear in mind the HD5750 is only €95 in some places!

HDD is okay, although the Samsung F3 is better.

Mobo is old and naff. Not even sure if it has full compatibility with new AM3 CPUs :o

PSU is okay, if a tad light for a 80W CPU (which is good for OCing, if the mobo allows it!) and a 55nm GPU (won't have this issue with a HD57*0).

Cooler is just the stock cooler.

Sound card is what the mobo comes with. The fact that it isn't a 7.1 sound chip suggests the mobo is extra naff! :(

And finally, is this OCUK we're talking about here? Becuase you have to pay Irish VAT on those. They're a pretty expensive site at the moment! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

have to agree. could do far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

its ocuk indeed. all in £400.
    where would be better? hardwareversand?

Around €465 including the VAT switch... not bad actually. A real shame they cut corners a bit too much, especially on the mobo... prevents OCing, core unlocking, naff sound as well...

HWVS won't be cheaper, mostly because of the lack of upper-mainstream (and high-end, but that's not the problem for once!) graphics cards there. It'd be over €500 including the €30 shipping, but the spec would be a bit better. It might even end up cheaper getting a cheap HD4770 or HD5750 elsewhere, as there aren't any on HWVS (except a few really overpriced HD5750s) :(

im not too pushed about OCing it in the near future. I just wanted to do some pc gaming and dont see a gaming pc for less

I know the gpu is a bit long in the tooth but would this rig do me for gaming? is it too old for new and future games?

• Advertisement

It depends very strongly on the monitor. What resolution do you have? A HD4850 is fine up to 1680*1050 but can struggle a bit in more demanding titles once you hit the 1080p/Full HD mark. The good news is that if you're lucky you could bring yourself back into contention with some overclocking so long as you have the 1GB model. But I wouldn't recommend doing much OCing on this rig with just a 400W PSU, even if its a good 400W PSU :o

And while that card is old, its certainly not bad. Its just that it uses a fair whack of juice compared to its current 40nm replacement.

well I was just going to shove the monitor from my old desktop on it for the moment. oldish 19" tft, non wide screen
    been a while since I fired the old girl up for anything but to find an occasional album or movie on the old hdd, reckon its probably native about 1280x1024 or something similar. Ill surive below 1600

Graphics isn't a problem then ;) HD4850 will tear through games on a 1280*1024 19"er :)

golden. thanks.

so am I going to find a better value pc for ~500? or should I hop on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

much better

• Advertisement

The mobo and RAM are actually worse :o I'll check to see what kind of bang-for-your-buck eBuyer and Pixmania can muster tomorrow, they've been pretty good lately ;)

Advertisement