Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Students Squad announced

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

The Ireland Students squad has been announced for the forthcoming UK & Ireland Regional Tournament in Nottingham in April. For the first time, the squad is made up of 100% Irish based players. Although lacking the strength of some of the UK based students, it has some experience with Paddy Barcoe the captain having gained a full international cap last year and Shane Kelly, Shane Mullalley, Joe Taylor & Darragh Williamson all from last years Ireland "A" squad.

http://www.rlef.eu.com/news.php?id=1328

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Having played with Taylor since i started RU and having the chance to play with Carr for the past year i wish them very the best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

It would be interesting to see which teams they are all affiliated with or if some are comlpete newcomers to the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 leinster__fan

It would be interesting to see which teams they are all affiliated with or if some are comlpete newcomers to the game.

I think a good few are from the Eagles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭MerryWhistleblo

The Irish student squad for the 2008 BUCS regionals was picked from the domestic competition also. Barcoe, Westman, Condell, Matthews, McInerney, Brady, Allan, ... all played in that tournament in Widnes and went on to represent Ireland at the student WC in Brisbane.

There have been a few changes to the squad.
    http://rli.ie/article/203/RLI-Student-Squad

best of luck to all the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

anyone know how the lads got on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

anyone know how the lads got on?

Didn't travel due to volcanic ash...

What's next for the student squad ???

The students team are going to play in the inter-pro series in place of the absent Connacht. http://rli.ie/article/205/Coaches-named-for-Inter-Provincial-Competition
    Paddy Barcoe will be a huge loss if his injury keeps him out. Shane kelly will be expected to have a big impact this year. Apparently Eagles player Marcus Kelly had a huge impact in their game against Wicklow and Joe Taylor scored 26 or their 46 points.

The down side of the students playing in the interpro is that Leinster and Munster will be much weaker teams without their students.

Any odds on favourites to win ??? Munster ?? Students ??

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭kellco88

I think the students have an advantage having trained together previously.

I'm backing leinster for obvious reasons!! Ulster should not be written off but depending on the make up of the munster squad i'd look south for the winners.

• Advertisement
Advertisement