Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Moyross have its own suburban railway station?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 12:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

As the part of the regeneration plan should Moyross have its own suburban station?

One close to the community center / church would have quite a large catchment area.

It is probably one of just a few sections along the WRC where the train would beat road traffic hands down into the city center particularly at rush hour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Eh...... no. Have you seen or been in a Moyross bus lately? Until the general standard in the area can keep a basic level of civility and respect then no, giving more things to be destroyed is a bad waste of tax money.

I have family from there and no not everyone from there is as bad as a lot of people think but......... with about 10% scum , 20% simply not caring about the law, 50% chancers i.e people who wont go out of their way to break the law but dont pay much heed if there is something in it for them and 20% with the same general regard for law and each other as you would find in the average area... the numbers say no that an area with a social demographic like that should not have "special" amenities granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

In theory, yes, it would make a lot of sense to have a stop there. It is in the suburbs, near Thomond Park, and LIT, and it could be used as a park and ride facility for people who want to go to the city centre and it would alleviate some of the traffic congestion in the city centre. In practice, I doubt that it would work. How secure would anyones car be, if you were to leave it at the attendant carpark all day or god-forbid, overnight. That is the unfortunate reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

If there was some way of using the single track that runs around the city for a sub urban fast train service then yes it should but I dont see the point in it having a station on the Limerick Galway route, for that matter I dont see the need for a train service to Galway - 2.5 hours on a trian journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How are you going to recoup the cost of the train station in Moyross?

From people with Social Welfare travel cards?
    From People with Social Welfare companion pass's?
    From the high level of OAP's living in Moyross with free travel?
    From the unemployed with no place to go?

If the argument is counter to the above then everybody including the mill road need their own train station.

Heck give Norwood park its own train station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is scope for about 10 stations in Limerick - on the proviso that density is improved around them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Victor wrote: »
    There is scope for about 10 stations in Limerick - on the proviso that density is improved around them.

We don't even have anything near an adequate, efficient, functioning Bus Service yet.

- Lets learn to crawl before we start planning Marathons......

Advertisement