Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couch To 5K discussion thread (discussion of other programs welcome too!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

Very jealous of everyone that got a run in today! (Same as DWG and SkinnyP i was itching to jog!) Welcome FreeHugs, you definitely chose the right weekend to start! Fab weather!
    It was a rest day from jogging today :(:) I gave myself a bit of a lie in this morning cos I was out late last night so I only got a 20min walk in before brekkie. Got some yoga in later on though, and worked up a red face and got a bit sweaty tidying my bedroom! (One of my goals for this week done and dusted! :D) Will be starting week 6 tomorrow morning (can't believe that its 6 weeks already!). Back to the manageable walk/jog/walk sequence this week, the last time in the program :eek::D
    Hope everyone had a great weekend! xx

Less Mass well done for getting out! :) I definitely think for the first week or two you should do the programme without the music, to get used to your own rhythm and breathing etc. I found it v odd at the start of my run (W5D3) when I had the music podcast on, it took me a while to get into a proper rhythm and try and ignore the beat of the music (which was way to fast for me!) Good luck for the buggy-jog on Tues! xx

RainbowKirby, the P20 isn't a great sunscreen! You really should use Nivea or GarnierSolaire or something similar! I used to work in a pharmacy and they didn't stock the P20 cos it doesn't give you proper protection from both UVA and UVB rays (it only has protection against one-not sure which one). This was a few years ago, so they may have upped the protection since but just check before you use it again. xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Melia

was just wondering about eating before the runs how long do people leave after eating before going out? My oh doesnt get in from work till 6 and does be famished so we will be having dinner before we head out.

If you're having a dinner I'd really try and leave it at least an hour before going out. If I go out having eaten very recently I just don't run well, end up feeling a bit sick, and tend to get stitches. Is there any way you could go out in the morning, or just as soon as you get back from work? You could put dinner on, go for your run, be back in half an hour and have the dinner ready to go.

I went out earlier, but my sister wanted to come too so I didn't take the MP3 player. I couldn't find my usual runners so I had to wear a different pair. She can't run because she has a knee injury, but I did sprints. I did about twelve minutes total of actual running, at a good pace, and maybe 45 minutes very fast walking. I think wearing the other runners was a bad idea though - my left ankle feels funny. I stopped running as soon as I noticed it. Not wearing those runners again - my usual pair are very comfy and cushiony and bouncy.

So technically I didn't do C25K, but I did run, and I had a very active day. Back to Dublin tomorrow, so back to my usual schedule, as long as my ankle's back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭LessMass

Good luck for the buggy-jog on Tues! xx

Cheers bn...hopefully I won't be updating this thread from my hospital bed!! :D
    I'm a bit clumsy at the best of times!!

Best of luck to you tomorrow - look forward to hearing how it goes x

oh! ps....how do I add the little logos for club10 and c25k to my signature? they're cute so I'd like to get them if I can...cheers x

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

RainbowKirby, the P20 isn't a great sunscreen!
    My main reasoning behind using P20 is that it's pretty waterproof. Pretty much any other sunscreen just melts off me when I run because I could sweat for Ireland, P20 actually lasts me about 12 miles (just under 2 hours for me) though which is longer than anything else I've tried.

Incidentally, if anyone actually knows of a good waterproof (and I mean seriously waterproof) factor 30-50 suncream, please let me know.

LessMass wrote: »
    Cheers bn...hopefully I won't be updating this thread from my hospital bed!! :D
    I'm a bit clumsy at the best of times!!

Best of luck to you tomorrow - look forward to hearing how it goes x

oh! ps....how do I add the little logos for club10 and c25k to my signature? they're cute so I'd like to get them if I can...cheers x

Haha don't worry you'll be grand! Thanks hun, tomorrow will be grand i'd say, its back to 8min runs (i think-I must check!) so after Friday's long run they look ok! :D

Copy and Paste these into your sig (without the spaces)
    [I MG][URL][/url]h ttp://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9918/club10n.jpg[/IMG]

[I MG][U R L][http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r41/catheadnavan/couchto5.jpg[/URL][IMG][/img]

• Advertisement

Hi bn, cheers for that...I tried it there but it didn't work & my batt's about to give out on me now so will try it again tomorrow cos I must have done something wrong...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Great to see the amount of activity going on this weekend. I was at a hen party all weekend and did some serious damage diet and alcohol wise.

I went out this evening to do Week 2 Day 2 of my Hal Higdon program (2.5 mile run /4.2 k). I was sure I'd have to give up cos I felt so bloated and just generally yuck, unhealthy and tired. But the run went great. I really enjoyed it and didn't feel the need to stop once. I took it nice and gently and I found I had some energy at the end to pick the pace up. Not sure how long I ran for but I think it was around 30 mins.

I'm happy now I've undone some of the damage from the weekend!

Well done everyone with your C25k progression :)

LessMass wrote: »
    Hi bn, cheers for that...I tried it there but it didn't work & my batt's about to give out on me now so will try it again tomorrow cos I must have done something wrong...:rolleyes:

Ugh thats probably my fault, stupid HTML confusing me again! Right click the boxes on my sig and try and copy and paste the URL into your sig (or press properties, copy and paste the http://... into your sig and add .......... on either side

so should look like [IMG][/img][URL] http*://i141.phot*obucket.com/albums/r41/cathead*navan/couch*to5.jpg [/URL]

Without the **

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ms. Crabapple

FreeHugs wrote: »
    Workout 1 of weekone done..... oww. I'm so out of shape!! Though I did myself no favours by starting off going uphill, or by not streaching enough.
    Anyway that's the first time I've ever been jogging of my own free will and I'm really proud of myself :D

High five FreeHugs! Well done. I started food diary few weeks ago too and I find it great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭newsizedbooty

Hi girls!!

Isnt it fantastic how many of us are doing C25K now. The first post had about 6 or 7 of us. Welcome to all the new starters as well. Dont any of ye worry about the tomato face syndrome, by god anyone who ever started running knows that feeling.

I did my run at 9am yesterday as well. It was W7D2. I had done a bootcamp DVD (Billy Blank Tae-Bo Ultimate Bootcamp) on saturday and couldnt walk down the stairs properly:D but obviously running uses different muscles cos the run was fine. I did find the hot weather a bit choking though.

I was talking to a friend who is a runner and she said once i finish up C25K to try and add an extra 10% every week after that, or 3 minutes. I am running 5.3 miles in the Cork City marathon in 8 weeks so i should be well prepared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

hi all im gearing up for day 3 of week 1 this evening and actually find im looking forward to it!

thanks for that melia, My oh is doing the program with me and he leaves for work at 6.30am so running before work for him is not an option and i wont do it without him hes a great motivator:)also he does be falling down with the hunger by the time he gets in so he has to eat before we run. we will probably leave the run till about 8 or so and see how we feel. i work shift work and so have some weekdays off, others im home by 2pm and others ill be in by 9pm so we'll have to figure out a plan to suit us both!

Hi girls!!

Isnt it fantastic how many of us are doing C25K now. The first post had about 6 or 7 of us. Welcome to all the new starters as well. Dont any of ye worry about the tomato face syndrome, by god anyone who ever started running knows that feeling.

I did my run at 9am yesterday as well. It was W7D2. I had done a bootcamp DVD (Billy Blank Tae-Bo Ultimate Bootcamp) on saturday and couldnt walk down the stairs properly:D but obviously running uses different muscles cos the run was fine. I did find the hot weather a bit choking though.

I was talking to a friend who is a runner and she said once i finish up C25K to try and add an extra 10% every week after that, or 3 minutes. I am running 5.3 miles in the Cork City marathon in 8 weeks so i should be well prepared.

Hey NSB once you finish C25K, there's a few programs you can follow if you want-dolliemix is doing the HalHingdon program which focuses on distance rather than time but I was thinking of doing the podrunner programme as I don't have a GPS phone or watch to track distance. The podrunner programme is designed like the C25K so you build up the time each week. It has an 8K (5miles) or 10k programme. The first week of the 8K is:
    5-min walk, 7 min run, w 1, r7, w 1, r7, w 1, r7, w5
    and works up to
    5 min walk, 25 min run, w1, r25, w5
    and the last run is the full 8K
    5 min walk, 50 min run, 5 min walk

This programme adds 4 mins to the running time each week. The 10K program is similar but adds 6 mins each week to get to 68 mins running. Both programs are 10 weeks i think.
    I'm thinking of doing this one but structuring it like W5 and W6 of C25K with 2 interval runs and one long run.
    The podrunner programme is on Itunes, if you search for C25K it'll come up.

NSB you could probably jump to Week 2 or 3 of that program as week 1 starts off as less time running as Week 9 of the C25K program

Got out for my run this morning (W6D1) in the gorgeous sunshine. :D Was a bit cold still though which was grand as I prob wouldn't be able to do it in the heat! :eek: The first five min run was hard, I got out of breath really quickly and it just felt uncomfortable. I was glad of the break when the walk came. The 2nd and 3rd runs were great though (8min and 5min) so enjoyed myself overall :D Got back and started the 'Firm abs, flat tummy' program (Day 1-10 pelvic tilts and 20 chest raises (half push ups)). Hope everyone has a great day xx

Thanks for the info BN! I had looked at those plans alright but I would be allergic to going back to walking in between runs. I do exerise every other day of the week as well and I just find that on my running days, now I am running longer, the walking can happen another day!!

Isnt it funny how we are allergic to our non run days!!

I am going to London this weekend, so my plan will have to be a bit squashed in. I run on tuesday and thursday mornings and normally a weekend morning but ill have to run late friday evening or something to get all my runs in! gah, i hate my routine being upset!

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I am contemplating trying to do some of my runs before work.. however do you do this on an empty stomach or have something light to eat - Bearing in mind it will be about 6.30?!

I have no problems running on an empty stomach - I do make sure to drink some water at least half an hour beforehand though.

If you feel you need something, how about something very light before you go, like a banana or Ryvita with peanut butter or similar, and then have your real breakfast when you get home? I'd leave a bit of a gap between eating and running, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Melia wrote: »
    I have no problems running on an empty stomach - I do make sure to drink some water at least half an hour beforehand though.

If you feel you need something, how about something very light before you go, like a banana or Ryvita with peanut butter or similar, and then have your real breakfast when you get home? I'd leave a bit of a gap between eating and running, too.

Spot on advice Melia. A banana is great for energy at least 30 min before exercise. If you eat, then exercise straight after you'll throw up! I can't eat for about an hour after exercise either, all the adrenaline & endorphins kills my appetite.

i found w6d1 tough as well BN I think its a come down from the high of the 25 mins run!!

I never eat before I go out running. I am normally starved. In the mornings i dont even drink some water, stitchland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭snowfinch

Had a really great day yesterday. Did W2D1 on the treadmill at 1% incline. I have a confession to make though, I haven't been following the plan to the letter. I am trying to get at least 40mins of exercise in a day, at least 5 times a week, so I am doing the C25K program for the first 20 mins after my warm up and then making up the last 20mins between walking/jogging depending on how I am feeling. I don't want to push myself too far too soon so I am going with what feels right after the initial 20 mins.

Yesterday, I was just feeling really good and got so into it that I said I'd repeat the 90 seconds on/90 off for another 20mins and see how I got on, and although I flagged a bit in the runs in the mid-30 mins, I picked up again and just felt that I was really hitting my stride at 40mins so kept going for a third time! Did 7.55k in 60mins and just felt really good. My legs didn't feel particularly tired, I wound down with a nice 20min swim and I haven't felt this good in a long time!

This running thing seemed impossible, but I am determined to be able to run for a full 20mins at the end of this program!

Spot on advice Melia. A banana is great for energy at least 30 min before exercise. If you eat, then exercise straight after you'll throw up! I can't eat for about an hour after exercise either, all the adrenaline & endorphins kills my appetite.

I'm usually ravenous when I get in! It's pint of water-food-stretches-shower straight after my runs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭BabyBirch

I was really excited for W2D1 today as I couldn't get out in the sun yesterday but woke up this morning with blocked sinsuses, sore throat and an ear ache. I'm so sad about it!:( I won't be able to get out tomorrow or Weds so next day will be Thursday. Can't believe I'm depressed about not being able to exercise! What have you done to me!!

I was really excited for W2D1 today as I couldn't get out in the sun yesterday but woke up this morning with blocked sinsuses, sore throat and an ear ache. I'm so sad about it!:( I won't be able to get out tomorrow or Weds so next day will be Thursday. Can't believe I'm depressed about not being able to exercise! What have you done to me!!

Haha I'm the same, I was itching to get jogging yesterday when I was out on my walk! Hope you feel better soon xx

What2do, I always go out for my walk or C25K first thing in the morning, I drink a glass of water and then head out. Then I have my brekkie afterwards. If I get up late though, I make sure I have an apple or something small before I head out so I'm not ravenous when I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

Thanks for the info BN! I had looked at those plans alright but I would be allergic to going back to walking in between runs. I do exerise every other day of the week as well and I just find that on my running days, now I am running longer, the walking can happen another day!!

Isnt it funny how we are allergic to our non run days!!

I am going to London this weekend, so my plan will have to be a bit squashed in. I run on tuesday and thursday mornings and normally a weekend morning but ill have to run late friday evening or something to get all my runs in! gah, i hate my routine being upset!

I was tempted to follow with the C25k podcast but by the time I was doing the long runs with no walking I felt it would be a step backward to go back to intervals again, seeing as my aim is to jog the whole 10k of the mini marathon.

But I did feel guilty about abandoning the C25k cos it got me as far as 5k!

The Hal Higdon 10k novice program would suit you because you could fit the three runs a week around your bootcamp. But its whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm on Week 2 of Hal Higdon and I found the 1st week hard, but my long run was great and my run last night super.

dolliemix wrote: »
    I was tempted to follow with the C25k podcast but by the time I was doing the long runs with no walking I felt it would be a step backward to go back to intervals again, seeing as my aim is to jog the whole 10k of the mini marathon.

But I did feel guilty about abandoning the C25k cos it got me as far as 5k!

The Hal Higdon 10k novice program would suit you because you could fit the three runs a week around your bootcamp. But its whatever you feel comfortable with. I'm on Week 2 of Hal Higdon and I found the 1st week hard, but my long run was great and my run last night super.

The problem with the HH program for me anyway is that I don't have a GPS phone or watch (may get the garmin watch at some stage but its a lot of money!) and I don't really want to have to use mapmyrun each time I go for a run. Its handy to have times to stick to and I quite like the interval runs. It a bit less intimidating when you have 3x15 min runs instead of having to run the full 45 mins. I'll see how I feel when I get to the finish line of C25K, I may just want to do the full runs :D

My ankle is feeling a bit weird today - not sore, just a twinge every now and then. Should I go out or leave it till tomorrow?

I sprained it badly a few years ago, I don't want to hurt it again.

Melia wrote: »
    My ankle is feeling a bit weird today - not sore, just a twinge every now and then. Should I go out or leave it till tomorrow?

I sprained it badly a few years ago, I don't want to hurt it again.

Mel I'd say rest it or even just go for a short walk to get some sun :D

+1 for resting it. I know you'll probably be disappointed not to get out on your run but if you go out and do more damage tonight you'll be out for a lot longer than a night...but you know your body best just if it were me I'd rest it tonight and see how it is tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

So ive just completed w1d3 delighted i got out this evening was really looking forward to it all day!!

Tonight i felt like it got a little easier but im still not sure im ready for w2 yet:o When i was doing the first run tonight and the 60secs was up i felt like i could keep running for another 30 secs. so i felt like id be able for w2 on wednesday but by the last 2 runs i had started to feel it and now im just not so sure:(

Im determined to keep it up though so bring on wednesday either way ill be repeating week 1 or continuing on with week2!!

Give it a go! It's always a bit scary starting a new week but you could surprise yourself. What's the worst that can happen?

• Advertisement

Yep I agree with Melia, the first day of each week is always a bit intimdating, I never thought I'd be able for the 5 min runs but in the end they were the most enjoyable of the lot! You can do it! :D

Edit: 2 week anniversary of the start of this thread and its already on Page 21!! Great work Melia and all the joggers out there :D:D;)

Advertisement